Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Gold Kanet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[GALLY]gold_kanet_oblivion_scr1.jpg[/GALLY] [GALLY]gold_kanet_oblivion_scr2.jpg[/GALLY] [GALLY]gold_kanet_oblivion_scr3.jpg[/GALLY]
-DOWNLOAD-

I loved Dairon's design of the new Gold Kanet, but it was extremely high-poly and couldn't have been used as it was. So I spent the afternoon editing and optimizing it, and now it's complete with three flowering substems and plenty of leaves but one tenth of the original poly count. The petal texture is from Morrowind Visual Pack and the leaf texture from a freeware internet source. :check:
The extremely stiff branches makes it look like its going to hurt me if I touch it. Big Grin
what he said Tongue the stiff branches make an otherwise good looking model look crapy.
I can agree that the substems are too long, because I got that impression as well. I'll try to shorten them, thus bringing the flower clusters closer to the center. That should make it look both better and less stiff, I think
I don't think that they're too long, but they are too straight. Thus it looks a bit unnatural ... but not crappy. Wink

But if you can't twist or bend them, I think it's the best idea is to shorten them so the whole flower looks more compact.

Greetings

Quentin
The straight stems were an unfortunate side-effect of the optimization. But I backtracked a bit and used another way of optimizing; lesser sides on the substems, but more joints (and so smoother stem curve). I think it turned out much better.

Thanks Caligula, LN and Quentin for making me see how unnatural the stems looked. Smile
The flowers also seem to me to be a little bit too flat. Was that from the poly reduction? Will this be addressed? Everything seems too geometrical to be natural...

Maybe it is just me, though...
Quote:Originally posted by TheMann777
The flowers also seem to me to be a little bit too flat. Was that from the poly reduction? Will this be addressed? Everything seems too geometrical to be natural...

Below is a render of the original model Dairon created. Pretty, isn't it? 26,500 polys will do that. My optimization resulted in it being 4,308 polygons, including the two extra stems and many leaves. Sacrifices had to be made to make it work in a game, and using anything else than planes for petals and leaves (i.e. 0 height) would be a waste of polys in my opinion.
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Quote:Originally posted by TheMann777

Below is a render of the original model Dairon created. Pretty, isn't it? 26,500 polys will do that. My optimization resulted in it being 4,308 polygons, including the two extra stems and many leaves. Sacrifices had to be made to make it work in a game, and using anything else than planes for petals and leaves (i.e. 0 height) would be a waste of polys in my opinion.

Yeah, you have a good point there. The geometric thing is still bugging me a bit, however. I guess that this is just a first draft of it, and the fact that all the petals are arranged in a pentagon will be addressed, I hope...

[EDIT]Did you add a slight curve to the petal plane, or did I just miss it in the first pictures? Or am I imagining things? The curve adds depth to the petals, and they look a lot better.[/EDIT]
I do not like the texture on the flower. It looks like there are 8 flowers growing out of a single petal. It would look much better if it were enlarged. Definately.
Pages: 1 2