Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Map request for exterior cell grid overlay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

I need a map of the Morrowind Province. Big Grin
Let me explain a bit.

The jist of the idea is that we take a map of the Morrowind Province (and preferrably the easternmost region of Skyrim as well) and superimpose a grid over it. Each square in the grid represents an exterior cell. If we then mod each exterior cell to fit in with what is shown in the grid square it's possible for many people in the different projects of our network to build up our landmass from several starting points and still have the overall world come together perfectly at the seams and look exactly like it should in terms of coastlines, mountain ranges, rivers and, so forth.

We don't really know yet exactly how large exterior cells will be in Oblivion, neither do we know what scale we want to use. So a fixed grid isn't an option right now, which is why I came up with the approach linked above. If we fix the scale of the map, it's very easy to instead adjust the grid so it fits with the scale we want. What that scale ultimately is can't be assessed without the game, but it's an easy fix.

The map we need has to be huge, at least 5000x5000 pixels. On the other hand it doesn't really matter if it's fuzzy or not, as long as the coastlines and other details are clearly visible. There are several maps out there which one would think could be used, but they all come with a problem.

? The race map on elderscrolls.com and Silgrad Tower's concept map (which has precedence for us) doesn't entirely match.

? Silgrad Tower's concept map doesn't include Blacklight, Vvardenfell or Skyrim.

? ArthmodeusD's map of Nirn is really cool, but he hasn't yet updated the coastline around Blacklight. When Bethesda created the Bloodmoon expansion pack they placed Solstheim so far south that the imagined coastline of the mainland had to be pushed down. When they revealed the latest maps some time ago, seen in the race descriptions on elderscrolls.com, they had restored the original coastline and placed Solstheim much farther north. But, if you are able to manipulate his map then that could work. Apart from the coastline you'd have to rename Soluthis to Reich Parkeep and edit out Old Ebonheart, but that would be about it.

? Prometheus' map would work nicely -- if it didn't already have a grid.

Any takers? Big Grin
you could just ignore teh grid on proms Big Grin or go through and edit it out....
a few thoughts....
1) that grid can really get annoying... pink.... grid... AHHH!!
2) are we going make a huge mod landwise? or is it going to be 3 main mods that can connect?
IF ____ then....
3) is it possible for the Skyrim, Silgrad, Blacklight, and Vvardenfell make one HUGE map?
Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
you could just ignore the grid on proms Big Grin or go through and edit it out....

Not sure how easy it would be to edit out the tinted rows, but yes, if no-one makes a new map then Prom's early map is probably the best way to go.

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
a few thoughts....
1) that grid can really get annoying... pink.... grid... AHHH!!
2) are we going make a huge mod landwise? or is it going to be 3 main mods that can connect?
IF ____ then....
3) is it possible for the Skyrim, Silgrad, Blacklight, and Vvardenfell make one HUGE map?

1. Not pink though, bright red. I'll be sure to make an alternative page with a grid color of your choosing :check: Smile

2. Not sure what you mean.

3. I meant for the map to show east Skyrim and the whole Morrowind province.
well, despite my engrish you answer my questions
Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
well, despite my engrish you answer my questions

Oh, ok Smile
Mm, I thought we could all use the same map. :yes:

That only the eastern part of Skyrim would be on it is mostly for practical reasons so as to not make it too enormous. Then again if the artist wants too it can of course be done, and we could cut out the west part and keep it in store for later, so to speak, when the Skyrim mod has filled the eastern border (as is my understanding of their game plan)
You understand correctly Razor

Like I mentioned in the other thread I had some time on my hands after my internet connection blacked out. So since no-one else offered to do it, I went about fiddling with a draft for the grid map. I used Prometheus old version of his map and found this really neat trick with the channel mixer tool in PSP that pretty much removed the pink tint from his map. Like magic! :dance:

Because of the map's origins it's possible that locations in the Blacklight area are off from what Rodan is planning. What do you think Rodan? Is there something I should change? Just let me know, and I can probably fix it.

The size of the grid can't be finalized until we get a feel for the game of course, but I don't think I was too far off to hinder you guys getting an impression of what the scale would be. What do you guys think about the grid size as it is now?

Oh, and if any of the other teams want to edit the part of the map that is under their jurisdiction I can email you a lossless version of it to you so you can edit it, then you can send it back and I'll update it.
It doesn't look like it is off, just that the cell grid is a lot smaller. But that's not a problem for now since we still have to wait a few days anyway. If you need any other maps Razor I still have all the maps from TR.
Quote:Originally posted by Rodan
It doesn't look like it is off, just that the cell grid is a lot smaller. But that's not a problem for now since we still have to wait a few days anyway. If you need any other maps Razor I still have all the maps from TR.

Somewhat smaller than TES3 I think, but then again I heard exterior cells are a bit smaller in Oblivion. But as you say, we'll know in a few days.

Cool! Do you happen to have a version of Prom's map which looks good but doesn't have any towns or villages marked on it? If so I could try adding in the new villages you have planned in the Blacklight area, if you want. Smile
Pages: 1 2