Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Removal of the quest compass.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If possible, can you make the quest compass toggleable?

Alot of people hate it (Including me) I've seen some recently released ingame screenshots and it looks really hard to ignore. Even if there was only an outside way to remove it, I'm worried that quest directions to get to places out in the wilderness will be "FOLLOW THE RED DOT LOL!!1"

Great mod by the way. I can't wait for this, and the Vvardenfall mod.
hmm... I hope so.... I like wandering the wilderness using landmarks and paths and trees as guides.... not a red dot

Quote:Originally posted by X23
and the Vvardenfall mod.
I'm not gonna lie, I think Vvardenfell and the other mods will turn out pretty kickass Cool
If it's not part of the options, then it may be in the config file similar to some TES III options. I do think it will be optional though.

Quote:a lot of people hate it

Now you can't say that yet! The game's not out yet, and you may end up liking it. Wink I don't think I will like it, but I'm not shutting it out just yet.
As far as Silgrad Tower goes, probably not. We don't usually mess with general gameplay mechanics. Personally I feel that's best left to sundry mods which players can mix & match to their own liking, so those who want a change can have it and those who don't aren't forced into it. I bet mods that remove the quest compass will be some of the first to come out, so players who want to get rid of it can just get that mod and the problem is solved =)

One of the strong points of the quest compass in my opinion is because (as the devs have said) the new AI system means that NPCs can move about a great deal in the world, and without the compass it could be frustratingly hard to locate them. So even if people dislike the concept I bet most people will appreciate it when they get to play the game.
Ill probally use it on the first few quests, get aquanted with the world, then turn it off
I remember in Daggerfall you could always ask someone for directions, not for people but for taverns and shops. I often ran into the wrong direction though...
They've said that the quest compass only points to a quest you have selected. If it really bothers you that much you can just always keep the fist quest selected so it won't show you where to go. Reports have said that points of interest only show up when you are so close that you can probabvly see them anyway (like how you could see doors on the minimap in morrowind).

Modding out the compass would be a waste of time for people that are simply too obsessive to not use it.
im 100% sure that someone will mod the removal of the compas (if it removable). and i dont belive that it is the object of this mod, or any of the mods hosted on this forum for that matter, to do it. if every mod removes the compas, theres bound to be difficulties.
Actually I meant more along the lines of writing quests for people not using the quest compass. I wasn't thinking when I wrote about the actual mod removing it.
It won't be that easy. sorry. To usefully remove it you would have to replace it with dialogue for every quest - so you would need to know how each quest works. How will you do that?

I posted a suggestion that the way to simplify the situation would be for there to be npc's who act as guides/translators/etc for strangers to their cities for a fee. This is what strangers to places all over the world meet in RL.And then written or map notations for locations in the wilderness at least.

To do anything else is to let down the overwhelming majority of real fans. The posts that deny such solutions are likely to mostly be from company ringers, clones and the like who want to oblige people to have to use their company's product = have a permanent application drain to increase mem and processing usage.

If it is at all possible I recommend that Silgrad work at and adopt my solution. I think it will be most welcome if well done. Wish I could program it myself, but there you go. If you find this is outside the remit then you will have to live with the reactions.

Ah I see that X23 has thought about this! And welcome to Silgrad Tower X23.
:wave: