Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Weapons and Armor Ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Alright, we need your ideas for custom weapons and armor that Elsweyr will have. I've been having trouble myself coming up with some, and I need some to finish the site.

My ideas are fairly basic. For weapons I was thinking of the fact that Khajiit prefer their claws over normal weapons. Rawlith Khaj, Goutfang, and many other martial arts forms are common, so I was thinking some sort of gloves that enhanced these arts. Extensions of the claws, grip, "knuckles" and such can be added into the gloves for each art, as they are all different. Some hit hard, some hit fast, it depends on the style.

Of course we should probably have some nice sabers, scimitars and such. Middle eastern blades, maybe even appropriately name them in Ta'Agra, the language of the Khajiit (I've been studying that a little.)

Now for armor, there's the Budi, but that's a basic shirt. Our deserts are going to be fairly drastic on the player, they will affect fatigue regeneration, and we will have desert garb that will prevent this. Beyond that I am not sure. I have thought of everything from Desert Lizardskin type armors to Sugarcane Mail. Yeah sounds pretty corny, I'll help you get a mental image: These cut in half lengthwise and segmented into pieces, which are arranged like this. Pretty wild stuff.

In general I was thinking the more heavy armors would come out of the south, as that's where the jungles are, most of the population, and along the east coast that's also where the Imperials would import their own steel armors and such. The light armors would come from the north, as in the desert you would probably not want to roast in heavy armor, and I assume due to natural evolution that they would develop those up there.

Anyway, I need some ideas to complete the library, so all your help is appreciated.
Here is a link about turkish style bows:
http://www.atarn.org/islamic/akarpowicz/...h_bows.htm
You mentioned biddle eastern style weaponry. I kind of have a thing for Turkish bows Smile but just as a suggestion.

Otherwise cool ideas me thinks, especially the sugarcane mail armor. In general I think metal armors would?nt be as common due to the heat (as in Skyrim due to the cold), some wooden and leather designs can be cool.
Ohh, I want a Damascus Sword.

Also, I don't see Heavy Armor as being any better in a jungle than in a desert. If you read "Cherim's Heart of Anequina" in Morrowind, he discusses "Nordic heavy plate" - it appears to me that Khajiiti armor never gets that heavy. So only imported gear would be like that.

Maybe gladatorial armor or something could be heavy, in the more urbane areas of Elsweyr.
YO this just hit me and sounds so sweet like arabian styled gladitor armor for the soldiers/guards of elsywer
Isn't the Yokudan stuff Arabian, the stuff in Hammerfell? I thought that Elsweyr was more Egyptian than Arabian, and if that's the case I want it to stay like that.
I always thought of Yokudan as Japanese, but then I haven't looked into it much. I'll see if I can find anything.

So far, I have found only an intense lack of any mention of Khajiiti arms and armor - only Cherim's Heart of Anequina has any description whatsoever.

Quote:
Interviews with Tapestrists
Volume XVIII
Cherim's Heart of Anequina

by Livillus Perus
Professor at the Imperial University

[...]

Every minute part of the Khajiti medium-weight armor can be seen in the soldiers in the foreground. The embroidered edging and striped patterns on the tunics. Each lacquered plate on loose-fitting leather in the Elsweyr style. The helmets of cloth and fluted silver.
(the book also has great descriptions of the Khajiiti dislike of heavy armor, and preference for medium weight - light, I suspect, in Oblivion)

More as I find it - I'm going to now look up everything I can find on Yokuda.
the japense is Akvair they are eastern yokudan was western
Of that I am well aware, BUT - the Yokudan culture is heavily influenced by serpentine symbols - a snake-god, crazy berserker-like nomads who slither side-winder style through the Alik'r desert, a cultural figure known as the Ansei, the sword-saint, and use of a katana-like long blade - they're very Oriental. They are a culture of samurai-like swordsmen, the Ra Gada, from which we get 'Redguard', obsessed with personal honor. While I have no evidence of the style of their armor, I suspect that it too would be oriental - though I also suspect less in the style of samurai and more along the lines of warrior-monk - loose, light robes. Which is similar to the Tsaesci - to quote Potentate Versidue-Shaie, "In our country, if you don't want to get hit, you move out of the way." Interestingly, the Samurai-style armor is actually made by the Orcs.

Modern Redguard attire is your traditional pirate wear (or, the traditional wear of those non-pirate sailors in your pirate stories).

I still say the Anequinan Khajiit are (roughly) Arabian in style. Egyptian, to me, is bare-chested save a necklace, and a skirt like thingy. Don't know if that's what you're thinking, but that's what you make me think when you say it. The Pocket Guide to the Empire describes the Khajiiti attire as heavy on "abundant shawls" often brightly colored with patterns. That sounds like turbans and such, like your avatar, Arsonide.
If I may interject, I have an opinion on how to correlate these two Tamrielic societies (the aforementioned Redguards and Khajiiti) with our real-world ones

Redguards: mixture of Barbary Coast, Persia, and Oriental themes (parts of india, southern china, etc) Disciplined, individual warriors. Worship of serpents, ideas completely foreign to neighbors (historic) I would include the practices of the Dervishes who remind me of the Ra Gada.

Elsweyr: Arabia, Turkey, Egypt, South Africa and the Horn of Africa.
The style of dress, the nature of the Mane, the prolific use of drugs (moon sugar = opium) and the radicalism (rampant border disputes). I always felt that Brazil and parts of the Caribbean would fit, but I can't justify them.
I always thought a mix of african and Rastafarian types of style and some Egyptian and Persian influences
Pages: 1 2