Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Reflections on Deadric gear in Oblivion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone else gotten the sense that Daedric armor and weapons in Oblivion is a lot less special than it was in Morrowind? In the old game you really had to commit yourself to getting a full set of Daedric, but in my current game I run into it all the time. At my player character level it seems every other bandit has gotten hold of the supposedly super-armor. I think it's good that the values of the Daedric items are more balanced, but other than that they've lost their mystique in my opinion.
Its because of the level sensetive loot. Everything scales with level now, even store inventory. I plan to get a mod that fixes that once I have OB working. Even though my char had only gotten to lvl 5, I could feel how it affects the game. It really take away from some of the realism and immersion.
Well, I'm kind of glad they did it, because it balances the game much better. True, bandits have all that good stuff, but I'm at level 26 (yes, I played a LOT) and I still get killed fairly quickly sometimes. It keeps the fun in the game.
There are already several (!) mods out that fix this. Bethesda got critizised a lot by old time fans for this, since it kills immersion. Here is one popular one:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index...pic=330008
Quote:Originally posted by Zarkis
There are already several (!) mods out that fix this. Bethesda got critizised a lot by old time fans for this, since it kills immersion. Here is one popular one:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index...pic=330008

But he says:
"Boss mobs will now have new tables that will allow the extraordinary (rare) weapons/armor (unenchanted) to drop at much lower levels than normal."

Doesn't that mean lower-level player characters get even better loot than they do with the unmodded game? But if there's a mod that make Daedric armor more rare, I'll definitely play with it.

Quote:Originally posted by noremorse
Well, I'm kind of glad they did it, because it balances the game much better. True, bandits have all that good stuff, but I'm at level 26 (yes, I played a LOT) and I still get killed fairly quickly sometimes. It keeps the fun in the game.

I'm at Level 31. Tongue

But the extreme balancing is one of my pet peeves. My first character was Breton warrior with Stealth specialization - and no stealth or magic major skills. I wanted to to create a challenge for myself, and I have this anal view on numbers and liked the idea of being able to advance to a higher level since I didn't get any starting bonuses to my major skills either from specialization or race.

Saying that this was a challenge is an understatement... Most battles ended in death. (I know there's a difficulty slider, I just don't like to use it) It just isn't possible to start out weak and build yourself up by fighting petty creatures, because the creatures and random bandits level up with you. If you start out weak, you'll stay weak, unless you somehow muddle through to really high levels when the enemies can't level up further. So for the most part, raising your level is meaningless - you don't get more poweful compared to your adversaries. I think that's a real shame. I have half a mind to set the area around Reich Parkeep to only spawn natural, medium-powerful creatures and go hunting there in my next game to build up strength like I want to Big Grin

Since Daedric has been "demoted" so much, do you guys think it's a valid idea to think about custom armors for our mod that is really rare, like Daedric was supposed to be?
I think that would be a good idea. What would we do though?
Maybe... Admantium? I know it was weaker then daedric in morrowind, but its supposed to be rare and strong.

And fix the title pleaaaaaaaase. Daedric
Daedric can still be rare, just include a levelled list fixing/removing mod with it.

The levelled list system is stupid, it makes it more of a fps because you are never greatly stronger than any creature or bandit. I hope this mod includes afix to the system so It can be eveloped with the fixed system in mind.
I don't think alot fo people would like ST changning a bunch of stuff in OB, im pretty sure the core guys have already decided that the mod will be stand alone, and designed with an unmodded OB in mind in terms of balance.

As for new, rarer armor, I think a unique set of Daedric that players would have to find the pieces too would recreate that old hunting for the daedric feeling from MW.

We could model the set after a Daedric Prince (Arm/Leg/Head of Malacath for example), or we could give it a unique backstory, like a set of Daedric modified by a powerful Necromancer, who gave his life too feed its power or something. We could make it well enchanted, and give it a subtle reskin.

In fact, that last one would be kind of fun. Howabout I write a little piece on the armor, and it can act as a ST version of that "Artifacts of Tamriel" book from Morrowind (except it would just be for the armor). It could say they exist, and make the player want to look for them, but not actually tell them where to find them.