Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Collaboration ideas.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All.
I am new here and at the moment I am re-kindling my construction set knowledge from what I can remember from the old CS. I never release any mods for MW as I got into the game so late that most of my mods were just left for personal use.

Anyhow I am very interested in joining the project and hope to contribute lots. Smile. I really enjoyed the last mod and considering how expansive it was it was very in-depth.

Anyhow the first thing I realized when I registered was that there only seems to be the forums at a collaborative way of communication.
I don't mean to insult the core on their management but in my experience forums are good for documenting and tracking information (i.e. claims etc.) but maybe we could set up a regular conference over skype or something so that ideas can be proposed and questions can be raised in real-time.
Whenever I have been in a conference call there have been two important roles:

The Head: The person who manages the meeting. Changes topics etc.

The Scribe: A person designated to take note of what is discussed. After the meeting they could the upload the minuets of the meeting to the forums for people to view who were unable to attend.

Then you have the members obviously.

Also if we don't have one already maybe we could set up an IRC channel (like #Oblivion-CS). This would be good for general collaboration and quick Q & A.

This is just something I thought might be good as it seem to work very well where I work. (I don't ask much for my first day do I?!?) Big Grin

Regz,
Dagothen.
the thign is.... this place even has a chat and many have msn and stuff.... BUT these tools are seldom used, it seems most of the work is done on the forums so Confusedhrug:
but I like your idea and if it could be organized and if I am not busy I might o that :yes:
I am more than willing to manage the conferences. i.e. Send out emails to notify people, be the scribe etc.
meetings = time, effort and argument. the average solution always gets chosen when there is dispute 'cos everyone wants to please everyone. Believe me I have spent decades sitting in committees at various levels, and at the end of the day they accomplish nothing that cannot be done by e-mail or if people wanted through our chatroom.

committee = idiot

At the least the chairman has to plan the meeting, communicate the plans to the organiser, spend the meeting persuading others (many of whome are not actually involved or interested in what is discussed) that what is planned is what will happen = otherwise wasted time only useful for elected organisers who need to play politics convincing shareholders etc they are doing the job.

Thanks for making the effort, but no thanks.

Now if you want to help out in another capacity maybe we can use folks with organisational ability if that is your speciality. Talk to Razorwing and Quentin they have a clears sense of what is required, and the authority to do something about it.
Hi Dagothen,

first and foremost: welcome to Silgrad Tower :wave:

No need to be afraid to come up with suggestions ... and I hope that I'm not stepping on your toes, but unfortunately your idea sounds too much like what I have at work every day. Big Grin

For me and many others modding is a hobby, something to have fun and with the exception of the release date of TES V there is no temporal pressure. So far I haven't seen a question that needed to be answered immediately and it's something extremely different from work, that ideas and proposals have time to be discussed and decided.

Nevertheless, that doesn't mean that your idea is bad, I wonder though, if this isn't overdoing it a bit. But if you have any idea, please feel free to post it.

Thanks a lot for your kind words and hiope to see you around.

Greetings

Quentin
Hi there Dagothen, welcome to our halls.

I think we've chosen a forum as our main form of communication because we can check in here when we feel like taking a break from the Construction Set or playing the game. When we do, we can catch up with the thoughts and ideas of others who checked in at different times. Personally I really like this forum of communication, because it gives me oodles of time to phrase what I want to say so it hopefully comes out as I intended. Chatting or talking over the phone seems stressful... those few times I've chatted with folks here I've ended up regretting half of what I said. Big Grin I think we have our bases covered, but please don't let that stop you from coming up with suggestions or debating the "old ways". Sometimes a way of doing things sticks simply because no-one's thought of doing it differently before... so keep 'em flowing :goodjob:
See, Dagothen, they're both nicer than me, even if one is a skull, and the other has shaved his pate in preparation!

'course, neither has a beard like as wot I does!

Now what I think is really needed is a complete list of plants, animals, objects, etc etc that have been and will need to be done. With tick off bits and a space for names of those who have created models, and at what stage they are, and what still needs to be done with the wip, etc. Although it is possible that someone already has such a list, I (secretly) think that would be very useful if posted.

'course, if I suggest that again I will just be told to do it myself - but I am the lit editor, not the listmaker. Any offers? Wink
Cheers for the replies. These forums are certainly great.

Just so you know on both my work PC and my home PC the chat window looks wierd.

No probs for sinking the idea. I am not really a big fan of spoken communication either.
Also if you are not on them already get on these IRC channels they are great for asking for getting advice. I have learnt quite a bit on the CS from these:
#Oblivion
#Oblivion-CS

Anyhow when I get home tonight I will probably knuckle down with the CS for a while. Make a couple of test houses etc.

EDIT: Also your not stepping on my toes, hell the ideas not even mine i copied it from my work place. Which to be quite honest have too many meetings anyhow.

Ps this has to be the coolest smiley ever!!!
:wave:

Regz,
Dagothen

Edit NR 7.23.2006: Deleted images.