Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Starting up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I know we're stil ldoing a bunch of planning, but I think we could probably get started on the basica landmass. That isnt something that need smuch changing and anything we need changed is easy enough to do. Im not saying we start adding any dungeons, cities or the like yet, just starting up shaping the island. Dont ask me to do it though, im busy, and no good with landmasses Wink
I agree that someone needs to take a stab at this. We have all the textures we need (assuming that Oblivion works for Red Mountain and the Ashlands), so I see no reason not to get started on this.

If ESP merging is the hold-up, is that really something that we need to wait on or is merging something that we can do later anyway like cut-and-paste?

Are we officially having our own worldspace or are we working with the mainland? Again, that's probably merging-related, but it might be for figuring out officially first.

But all that aside, let's get this ball rolling. There's nothing that any of us can do practically speaking until we have land.
The lack of an ESP merger is no barrier. Once it's out it'll be perfectly usable. For MW it essentially *was* just cut-n-paste, about all you had to worry about were repeated description headers and the occasional bit of broken dialog, neither of which should occur with the new more compartmentalised quest structure.

As for the map, judging by this heightmap dump there's no way Vvardenfell can fit. So that decision doesn't need making.

However one that does is where Silgrad Tower is going to go. Either it squeezes onto what's left of Cyrodiil worldspace or else shares Vvardenfell's. Personally I favour the latter, as that way everything in Morrowind would BE in Morrowind, rather than Silgrad Tower being squeezed onto Cyrodiil's map.

Actually, the map is another thing that needs doing. Assuming the coastline will be unchanged it shouldn't be hard for someone with the ability to use a createmaps dump to quickly and accurately create a world map. Which would be very useful to have, even this early on.
Probably not a great idea to use Cyrodiil's worldspace, as it's kinda off (everything's two times larger than it should be, except for Cyrodiil).
The current idea, not yet official, seems to be use your own worldspace for each mod (except it seems for Elswyr and Valenwood who are co-existing) and worry about merging later with each other if the need arises. To that end, let's get someone starting a Vvardenfell worldspace and specifically the Bitter Coast. Any long-time members who are up on the envirnmental landscape changes want to take a crack at it?

Only things left to discuss here in the present stage of dev:

Scale. This is a major one. I think that we should try it on Cyrodiil or slightly larger scale and see if it will work before putting in the details. Basically, try the area around Seyda Neen for instance and see if it gives us enough room to put the town in. If it does, run with it, and if not, we need to probably bump the scale up or open it up for debate.
Does anyone have the actual figures for what a mile in Morrowind equals vs. a mile in Oblivion? Going down to base mathematics would be much easier than trying it and then seeing if it works.
Oblivion's textures might work for Red Mountain and Molag Amur, but probably not the Ashlands. You could use textures from the Morrowind texture packs and make new shader textures (normal, paralax, etc.) to go along with them.
Quote:Originally posted by Garrett
Does anyone have the actual figures for what a mile in Morrowind equals vs. a mile in Oblivion? Going down to base mathematics would be much easier than trying it and then seeing if it works.
i think morrowind was 12 miles, and it was just Vvardenfell, while Oblivion is 16 miles, and if you loo kat it, Vvardenfell seems to be about half of cyrodiil's size, so we're looking at taking about a third off of what morrowind was. this is all rough estimates btw
So... that means if the new Vvardenfell is to be to scale with Cyrodiil it'll be even SMALLER? It already felt small with the draw distance hacking mods, and Obliv's draw distance is even further. Hm.
You guys should do what one of the other mods said they were doing. Compare they landmass size to Daggerfall (Which was supposed to be the size of Great Britain) Instead of Oblivions. Now Vvardenfell isn't as big, Lore wise, as the places that were in Daggerfall, but it still should be really big.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7