Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: [TEAM] Why did TR and ST split?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well im kinda new to silgrad so this may seem dumb to some of you- what was the argument that caused the split about?
style & perspective
First of all, Welcome to Silgrad Tower final reclaimer. I hope you find our community the best in all of the land. Big Grin

If you absolutely must have more information on this then maybe you should do a search on one of the two forums. There is information and history to be found there.

As for opening it back up for discussion, it is well over two years old and we need not have a renewed topic about it here.

*click*
I'd like to recommend reading the answer Quentin Fortune gave to the second-to-last question in the interview. It sums up the clash and split rather well. Of course, by now it's mostly of historical interest since both teams are very much different than the teams that once split away.

Quote:Razorwing: Our team began as part of Tamriel Rebuilt, but broke off from them in January 2004. As one of the few team members still around from that time, what would you say the disagreements arose from?

Quentin Fortune: I've been unsure to answer that one, but since it is part of our history as well...
[indent][/indent]As I stated before, Tamriel Rebuilt had a different claiming system when they started. Modders could claim a chunk of land and were responsible for filling it with life. Unfortunately from the approximately 50 claims they had set up only four... survived, among them Silgrad Tower and Rodan's Black Light (the other two were Dragon Glade, which was built with some help from members of Silgrad and the fourth one I simply can't recall).
[indent][/indent]TR's administration then decided to install a new claiming system, similar to the one Silgrad Tower was using, to increase the efficiency and to avoid that progress was slowed down by the disappearance of modders. It was also stated that the remaining 'old claims' could continue the way they did before.
[indent][/indent]TR's goal has ever been to recreate the continent of Tamriel true to lore and according to the original game and the original vision of Bethesda and Silgrad has been a part of this.
[indent][/indent]I think the biggest disagreement came over the question what lore means for the project. For most members of Silgrad (me included) lore had been a guideline, nothing more - but also nothing less. If you can't find something in lore, doesn't mean it can't exist (in my book at least). You just have to create a valid and solid explanation which fits in the main context.
[indent][/indent]But the general view for TR became more and more that lore is ... hard to say, a kind of holy book? I, personally, missed the creative part about that and I, personally again, couldn't agree with the statement that the more rules you imply on the modder the more creative s/he will become.
[indent][/indent]And - deep, deep down at the bottom - all of the lore is made up by some ingenious game designers and could be changed every single moment (just have a look at some of the explanations the developers made up to explain some of the logical flaws to see what I mean. That's what I call creative Wink )
[indent][/indent]Another thing that might have led to the split is the fact that Silgrad Tower has been (and I think still is) a very popular mod in the community. I honestly don't know, but it might be that the egos of some people have been hurt by that or that they have been simply jealous and envious, especially since a lot of the comments about Tamriel Rebuilt went along the line of "ambitious, but impossible".
[indent][/indent]So when it was clear that the two visions were not compatible we decided what we thought was best for both groups and split up, that was November 2003. There had been one attempt to reunite the two groups, but it became clear very soon that it won't work. Our goals are too different and our ways to approach things are too different to make it work and so in January 2004 we finally cut our ties and went our own way.
[indent][/indent]I wish them all the best and even if their vision is not mine, I hope they will achieve what they strive for.