Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: discussion on thrown weapons and pole-weapons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
alright... the Vvardenfell team, awhile back, concluded that there were several good ways to make these weapons...

Thrown Weapons:
We could make a ring, that would have an invisible ring but "stone" of the ring would be a knife/ax/star/dart, and the part where the weapon "is on the ring" would be in your palm. The ring would be enchanted with a spell, if it is a small throwing ax to have a destruction spell of damage health 30 or something and with the correct distance, fire the spell which will have a custom animation of a throwing ax whizzing through the air.... that could be done with a dart, a knife, a star...
I was thinking that once it ran out of enchantment, it represented that you ran out of axes or darts or knives or stars.... in that case the ring would disappear, you will need to get a new one...
this type of weaponry would be great for assassins and other stealthy folks... all they'd carry is a few thrown weapons (ring) and lockpicks and some dark clothing and kill someone... light traveling... of course we need to make sure it doesn't get unbalanced...

Spears/pole-arms:
we decided there where two courses of action for this situation.....
we replace a longsword or dagger sort of model with a spear model, or a halberd/blunt weapon type model with a spear model, it could work. For example a short halberd wouldn't be too tough... and one-handed spears could work.... but its just real long spears that could be tough, th two handed kind...
so we decided that using remodeled staves and having a damage health spell and also a very short range so that it would rely on the range of the "stave" (spear)... therefore the sopear would actually be a stave... cool

I also found this....he seems to be doing ok with making pole-arms...

spears are practically essential in some of our mods.... they are principle weapons of some Dunmer and Argonians... popular in forested regions like Valenwood etc. we would be doing a good thing for the modding community
or at least we could borrow and make our own if you know what I mean, someone find a good way to do it and we simply provide models

so what do ya think guys?
Actually, I had an idea for thrown weapons.

I don't know if it's possible or not (I'm a noob at scripting), but I think someone could script an item to give damage when thrown with the physics system.
It sounds good to me.
Yeah, that just might work. It would take talent to throw knives and stars now. You'd have to use your Ninja skills.
Well, there is the issue of taking it out of your inventory, setting it down and then using the mouse to throw it at something, which may be a bit slow for something like a 7 foot tall charging Daedroth.

But since the scripting engine in Oblivion is supposed to be more advanced, there might be a way around this. I truely don't know, I don't have the game yet.