Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: How to stream music in an Oblivion mod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Originally posted by JOG (of Havish fame, for us oldies). I haven't cooberated if it works, but I'm sure it does. Whee, we *can* script music!! :elk:

black[/hr]

Syntax:
StreamMusic "<Filename>"

Examples:
StreamMusic "data\music\special\success.mp3"
StreamMusic "LauncherMusic.wav"
StreamMusic "..\Morrowind\Data Files\Music\Special\morrowind title.mp3"
StreamMusic "C:\WINDOWS\Media\tada.wav"

Tells the game to start playing the music file. (The filename needs to be in quotes!)

Some Notes:
  • At the end of the file, a new random music will be chosen according to the current location.
  • Providing a filename that doesn't exist causes the game to restart the song that is currently playing.
  • StreamMusic will not override combat music, the combat-music that is currently playing will be restarted, though.
  • The filename is relative to the Oblivion-folder it doesn't need to be in Data\Music.
  • The file-type isn't restricted to MP3. Any format that may be played by Windows Media Player can also be played by Oblivion (e.g .MID files).
  • The file-type isn't even restricted to music; if you start a video this way, Oblivion will minimize and play the video in an extra window. When the video ends, Oblivion will resume. (This is bound to make the game instable, so don't use it for anything but easter-eggs.)
I've just tested it, it does work. I think it DOES override combat music, though.
Quote:Originally posted by Axen
I've just tested it, it does work. I think it DOES override combat music, though.

Cool Big Grin

Do you happen to have any ideas on how a script would look that continuously streams a specific track if the player is in particular cells? I.e. making the game play a special background music when the player is in Reich Parkeep.
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Quote:Originally posted by Axen

Cool Big Grin

Do you happen to have any ideas on how a script would look that continuously streams a specific track if the player is in particular cells? I.e. making the game play a special background music when the player is in Reich Parkeep.
You'll have to do it the same way it was done in Morrowind. I'm hoping that we get to be able to make custom music categories and script functions that can change them.