Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: HORRIBLE lore conflicts with TES4 and past games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Simply read this thread and you'll see... I don't believe there is need (or use) of a summary, considering the length of it all.

It seems most people are going with some things (like the Pale Pass Akaviri ghost and skeletons) being developer oversights (or laziness), and the rest of it Imperial propaganda.

They spent so much effort making a new pocket guide (which has some propaganda, but it's actually clear it's propaganda, such as "Indoril (or was it Redoran?) is falling, unable to change with the times"), but not nearly enough into the actual game's lore.

As for the Amulet of Kings, the Dragonfires, and the Oblivion Crisis, people seem to be taking it that the Amulet and the Dragonfires actually would have done nothing to stop Oblivion, because one of the Towers had its Stone removed... that tower is Red Tower (Red Mountain). All the other events of the past games could also have contributed to the barriers weakening, not just what happened in TES3. Uriel VII and his heirs were assassinated to send the Empire into chaos to make destroying it much easier. As for Martin... I don't know. As for Akatosh, he apparently appeared to basically say that the Septims are the spiritual inheritors of the throne, but the price of that statement was the Empire itself.

However, there IS the Nu-Mantia Intercept, which is really the only good piece of lore in the whole game... which is still pretty contradictory.
Yeah... I wasn't too impressed with the lore in Oblivion. I quite liked it when people would geek out about lore in Morrowind. Big Grin

Now, I'm completely oblivious to lore in TES, which is why I wanted to steal one, and my only source of lore is playing the game. I don't like to read books so much (The ones in Oblivion are practicly fruitless compared to the Morrowind ones, and reading a ton of short stories on the Imperial Library is not a way I like to spend my time), so when I get a lore-heavy qyest, I usually end up really enjoying it. For instance, I really enjoyed the quest with Pale Pass. I'm not sure what was wrong with the lore in it, but just because it involved a nifty plot, I was happy. What was my reward? Like, 40 gold? Bah. Who cares. I loved that quest.

Just for good measure, what exactly is everybody's beef with that quest?

And I think I'm going to make a minimod where the King of Worms is like, uberpowerfull. :-D
Mm, so far I've found Pale Pass to be the most entertaining quest in the game. It started out so bland - fetching some Akaviri artifact - but developed into a really enjoyable adventure. It was the first and only time the game made me feel I was really far away, and the long haul back was rather enjoyable as I witnessed the result of my previous battles. I wish all Bethesda's quests had been like that. Smile
The problem with Pale Pass are the skeletons (which are humanoid skeletons; they are not human) and the Akaviri ghost (Akaviri can't wear armor! And again, they're not human!).
Aren't there humans in Akavir?
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Aren't there humans in Akavir?
They got eaten by the Vampire-Snake-Men-That-Are-More-Interesting-Than-More-Human-Races.
I checked TIL and you're right. Smile
Given that the Taesci have been described as being similar in appearance to the Akaviri men they "ate" I find it reasonably acceptable for them to be humanoid plus tail and golden scales.
I find it reasonably acceptable that there are two kinda of Tsaesci
the Tsaesci are snake-men, serpentine, and have arms, and because of their build, cannot wear armor, nor do they want it....
however in the invasion of Ionith, Uriel Septim encourtered armored 'tsaesci' as well as mounted ones... similar to those at the Pale Pass...
so i wonder.... if the Tsaesci "ate" the Akaviri man, is that literal?

I doubt it...
I think the Akaviri man assimiliated into Tsaesci society as the lower class and acts as the main infantry and such. Tsaesci are the lords and the refined fighters, but not the frontline grunts. The fact that these "Tsaesci" as bipedal and armored and can mountmeans they are definitely no tthe serpentine kind like the Potentes of the Reman dynasty. Of course they (Akaviri man) are alright in status compared to the goblins enslaved to the Tsaesci...
So that's what was wrong with the quest! I'm thinking Bethesda just didn't want to make a new practical race model, textures, meshes, etc. just for a minor side quest.

Though, the existance of Akaviri Armor should come in to question, unless the Ionith guys were really heavily looted after Tiber Septim blasted them to bits.

Of course, that armor would be what, 600-1000 years old? Maybe it's all just recreations of the old stuff by local smiths... that's why there's a difference between the "Ancient Akaviri Katana" and the regular Akaviri Katanas. They look the same, but the ancient akaviri katanas have actually been around since the seige at Ionith. Or really close to that time.
Pages: 1 2