Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Script help desperately needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been trying to solve the problem with my Loveletter quest, which I created as a test but rather like, and so I would like to continue developing it if possible. The dialogue is still rudimentary and to-the-point and I plan to change and add to it once the quest is working.

The quest starts when you talk to Petra, whom is a lady currently found strolling around the North Imperial District. It's *very* straightforward and dull in its current incarnation, because I remember that I found out in the old TES3 days that it was a good rule of thumb to get something to work in a straight line before adding complications and intricacies to it, because then you could always revert back to the point where it worked.

Anyway. Petra gives you a loveletter, which she wants you to take to the Guardtower in the South I. D. and place it on Lars Sjovik's bed. Lars Sjovik himself is a big, burly Nord guard that patrols the city. Ultimately I plan to make the Guardtower illegal to enter, to create a bit of a challenge in the quest.

The idea is that when the player comes near the bed in the middle on the top floor of the Guardtower - or rather, comes near the activator I set up beneath the floorboards - a script asks the player if he wants to place the note on the bed. If he says yes, then it is removed from his inventory, and a copy of the note (which acts like a static, in the sense that it can't be read or removed) is set to become enabled, thus showing up in the world.

The problem is that the script doesn't fire. The player is never asked the question in the first place, which seems odd.

If you've played the Dark Brotherhood quest where you have to kill the pirate captain in the Waterfront district, you might recall that you had an option to hide in a crate and be smuggled on-board. I borrowed heavily from that script, and it seems pretty straightforward as scripts go, so I don't get why it doesn't work.

Would anyone consider checking out the quest in the Alpha and see if you can spot what I'm doing wrong? =)
Make it so that you put the note on his cupboard. You can see the scripting for that where you put adamus Philadas severed finger in his succesors desk.

And later on, you can fix it when you learn how.
Quote:Originally posted by X23
Make it so that you put the note on his cupboard. You can see the scripting for that where you put adamus Philadas severed finger in his succesors desk.

And later on, you can fix it when you learn how.

Thanks, I appreciate the thought. Smile

I'm dead-set determined to fix it now, since a person has been most kind to voice act Petra Artorius' lines in the quest =) I've started to think the problem might have been that I specified the ID of the marker instead of giving it a "Editor Reference ID" and specifying that. Unlike TES3, Oblivion doesn't seem able to identify specific item references in the world unless they have an Editor ID. Which is a good thing, I think, because it means we won't have to make new items in the CS pretty much every time we wanted to a script to do something to it.

I'll go and playtest it now, and if my suspicions were right then the quest was broken simply because the script didn't know it was supposed to check the player's distance to that specific object (the marker). And if that's true, there's no *need* for a marker... I'll just give the R. E. I. directly to the bed. Big Grin

Edit 14:33 C.E.T.: Holy hell! It DID work! All I had to do was create and use an R. E. I. on the marker instead of using the Construction Set ID of it and et voil?, the whole quest works just as it was intended!
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
....instead of giving it a "Editor Reference ID

I had the same problem when making the tavern script for The Blacklight "Thirsty Cutlass Tavern". So, I think that might be the solution.

I was planning to look into the matter, but I'll wait and see if you solved it.
If not, I'll try to find the problem Big Grin.
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing:
Edit 14:33 C.E.T.: Holy hell! It DID work! All I had to do was create and use an R. E. I. on the marker instead of using the Construction Set ID of it and et voil?, the whole quest works just as it was intended!

:yes: