Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Maximum possible size of world spaces
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've looked at the CS's heightmap editing tool, and, well... we've underestimated how big a worldspace can be by quite a bit.

World spaces can each have 16x16 quads. Each quad is 32x32 cells, and when you import a heightmap, each quad is represented by a heightmap that is 1024x1024 in size. So, each world space can have... uh, 262144 cells. TES4's main worldspace (excluding border regions) is 4x4 quads.

Now, I still think seperate worldspaces for each province is a good idea due to the highly inaccurate border regions (which don't show up on the heightmap editor for some odd reason?!).

So, there you have it. We'll have plenty of space. And a rescale of Cyrodiil to TES3's scale is definately possible (you can fit 16 non-border-region Cyrodiils into a world space!).
To edit 4x4 heightmap you need 2GB ram. How much will you need for 16x16? Smile)))
I've heard that if the region bigger then Cyrodiil loaded into heightmap it just crashes...
But I distinctly recall a dev in one of the pre-release interviews who said it was possible to create worlds many times that of Cyrodiil. Did he lie?
It is possible, i guess it depends on ram - and CS crashes if there's not enough...
I can try to test, but I have only 1.5GB and half of it is already busy (PC at office)
When you load up the esm in the CS and select a worldmap, don't you already have the entire heightmap loaded? I've been working with the Tamriel worldmap, both within Cyrodiil and outside, and have had no problems reworking the heights in my esp. Now, I haven't pushed that especially hard, but maybe that should be tested. (I have 1 gig of RAM).
Wait a tec, Let me get this straight

Heightmapping is where you make the earth go up and down right? And it requires 2 gb of ram? Thats virtual memory right?
Quote:Originally posted by Harikari
Wait a tec, Let me get this straight

Heightmapping is where you make the earth go up and down right? And it requires 2 gb of ram? Thats virtual memory right?

Not quite. RAM (Random Access Memory) is the amount of memory installed on the motherboard. Virtual memory is an area on the hard drive that the computer uses in conjunction with RAM to swap data in and out so that the computer can actually use more than the amount of RAM available. It's a bit slower than RAM, which is why you want to use RAM if possible.

Yes, heightmapping is where you make the earth go up and down (as opposed to earthquaking, which is where you make the earth go side to side :lmao: )

I'm not sure where the 2 gig requirement came from. It does take quite a bit of memory, but XP knows how to arrange RAM and VM to get the best results (usually.) As I noted above, so far I've had no crashes with the CS.
Oh, Ok... So Im guessing I should be fine...
By mistake I once accidently increased the Tamriel worldspace to almost double it's size, Without any slowdown (my pc is fairly powerful though.)

I'd estimate you could do the entire continent of Tamriel in one worldspace!!!

I couldn't see any reason to do that though, would be easier to do them one province per worldspace.

Morrowind (both the island and mainland) could easily be done in one worldspace.

Also, keep in mind that in Oblivion the worldspace of Tamriel is far bigger than Cyrodiil, it includes vast portions of the other provinces. (although there's nothing but trees there.)