Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: A little writing assignment request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd like to request a book that describes the events surrounding the ancient Akaviri invasion of Soluthis, and how one Akaviri soldier came to become a hero to the Dunmer there.

Let me explain.

Some time ago we were given permission to use a collection of 13 statues made by Prometheus. It was pretty clear-cut how to use twelve of them, but #11 seems unrelated to Elder Scrolls lore altogether as it depicts a warrior that is half man, half snake. Here is an old Max render of the statue.

But the way in is that some breeds of the monster-people on Akavir are supposed to look somewhat like this, so if we use it, it should depict an Akaviri soldier. And the only way to logically use it in the RP mod is if it heralds back to an incident from the time the Akaviri invaded Tamriel. I'm not that well-versed in history, but I recall that at some point the Akaviri invaded and conquered Tamriel, probably for the whole Second Era if I'm not mistaken. Thus, at some point, they must have conquered Soluthis (the Redoran town in which Reich Parkeep was later built) too.

I have no idea what "drhiss" means. I think the original statue from Prom was named that way, but neither TIL nor google searches yielded anything. Perhaps Prom thought up the name himself. I'll leave it up to the writer if he wants to use that name or come up with a new one.

To make matters more... interesting... the statue would have to be of a hero to the Dunmer rather than an enemy. One could say that the Akaviri erected the statue themselves to celebrate for instance the warchief who led the conquest of the town, but if that were the case, the Dunmer would have destroyed it as soon as the Akaviri were driven from their lands.

Any thoughts?
Maybe "drhiss" is a joke name. Dr. Hiss?

Some ideas.

Book name: Uprising at Soluthis or The Seige, Capture, and Revolt at Soluthis

1. Introduce Main Character, an Akaviri dissident.
2. Introduce the Akaviri army.
3. Introduce Soluthis, and some random citizens.
4. Akaviri army seiges Soluthis.
5. Soluthis begins to starve and there's no water left.
6. Akaviri hero meets with Soluthis' Mayor to discuss a peace treaty. It involves Akavir getting the town, but the citizens getting plenty of food and drink.
7. Soluthis begins to get it's feet again.
8. Akaviri hero holds underground meetings to overthrow Akaviri rule.
9. Akaviri hero leads a citizen's revolt using stealth, chitin/netch leather armor, and surgical strikes. They take out alarms first, then they move to the Akaviri soldiers stationed in bars and the like. Then they surround buildings that have been converted to barracks, and they torch the place.
10. Soluthis is granted autonomy as long as they promise not to give the Akaviri army any more trouble.

How's that? Big Grin
Let me draw your attention to the Temple and Akaviri link in the associated Vvardenfell project where we have been discussing the introduction of Akaviri into the project.

My response there was that the Akaviri in the past have seemed to think in whole continent conquest when they have invaded. I believe that an Akaviri invasion accross the whole width of an ocean would not make sense just to take one little city.

But in that thread I have suggested that the introduction of a group of Akaviri Adventurers into Vvardenfell for whatever reasons would be very exciting... and that could lead to some fine tales. It would be quite an achievement to do so effectively from an Akaviri point of view... a lot of work needed if there were to be more than one of this race as then you have Akaviri inter-relations and culture brought to the fore. If anyone can do that then go for it...

Akaviri have been discussed in other projects too.

Alternatively, could this model be used for the Black Marshes Naga? There is a thread there that has tried to come up with a concept - showing Warcraft 3 artwork as an example, but this model has possibilities in that direction too.
Zarf: I like your idea, but I was more thinking that the Akaviri forces withdrew when all the Akaviri were driven from Tamriel. Something with the Reman dynasty, I think, but I never studied that part of Tamriel's history.

raggidman: But what the Black Marsh project discussed was a creature, right? Creating an animated creature is ten times more work than just modelling it, and this is just a static model without a skeleton and without setup for moveable body parts. =)
Question might be whether we all like the model, and what inspiration it might provide?

I must admit that I had not realised that you were thinking about a book from the past or re a comparatively ancient event.

Even so I like the band of akaviri adventurers idea, and the 'model' is excellent artwork, providing a very clear and detailed image for the imagination to work on or from...
Hi, kind'a new here, but saw Razorwings request in the ESF. Most of my history comes from: http://til.gamingsource.net/history/2.shtml in particular this
Quote:Circa 2E 547

Arcturian Heresy records that Ada'Soom Dir-Kamal, a Snow Demon King of Kamal (Akavir), attempts to invade Morrowind. The Underking and Almalexia halt his efforts at Red Mountain.

See what you think...

On any given sunny day, if you take a stroll down Helseth Way, towards the southside Plaza, you?ll see an outlandish sight, two old men sitting on a bench, usually close to the D?Hryss statue. What?s so strange about this sight you ask, there are always elderly people wandering or taking it easy on the beautiful walkways of Reich Parkeep. Well, these two differ only in that one is a semi famous Dunmer historian, Athelyn Berendus, and his friend is a Breton, and they talk; animatedly, non stop. This reporter was born in this city, and I can recall them from my childhood, since then I?ve married two good men, given birth to three beautiful children and consider myself happy and fulfilled. I don?t believe I?ve ever had a conversation with another man ? or mer, as long, or as intensely, as they have. Jealous? You bet! And obsessively curious (a good trait in a journalist, believe me). I decided I needed to find out more. I read the single book that Berendus has had printed ? a rather dry account of the Akavir incursion into Morrowind, and decided an interview was long overdue?

Friendship
The Breton traveller looked with interest at the statue lording it over the market area, a half man, half snake creature that glared off towards the east. A passing Dunmer caught him looking at the statue, and paused to watch it with him.
?Strange statue;? The Breton began uncertainly, ?I?d heard there were snake creatures who hated men, living on the isle of Akavir. Always plotting to overthrow Tamriel, or something??
The Dunmer scowled ? or it might have been a half smile, the Breton could rarely tell with the damned Dark Elves. His voice was garrulous, ?D?Hryss was a friend to our ancestors, he betrayed the murderous Akaviri demons to Red Mountain where all were slain. He averted what would have been a costly war into a victory for Almalexia and the Underking.?
The Breton nodded his head, ?What made him turn against his own people??
The Dunmer shook his head, ?You should learn your history my young friend.? His voice took on a note of repetition, ?No Men or Mer live in Akavir, though men once did. These Men, however were eaten long ago by the vampiric Serpent Folk of Tsaesci.? He turned to the Breton, ?Welcome to Reich Parkeep, my name?s Athelyn Berendus, I teach history.?
The Breton took the unexpected hand thrust and found himself smiling into the alien Dunmer eyes, ?Francois Thierry, er, Rogue Mage, dilettante-? he shrugged, ?rich parents, you know??
Athelyn looked him over shrewdly, hardly more than a child ? as dunmer measured age, but he had wisdom in those cloudy green eyes, and an easygoing insolence that possibly came from never worrying about your next meal, ?so Francoise, why are you here - in Morrowind?
The Breton shrugged, ?Taking a few years out, adventuring, y?know? Thought I?d check out Red Mountain, before settling down to some trade? Just? searching-? He laughed, a short ugly bark, then looked directly at the old Dunmer, ?I don?t know. It was fun, checking out Hammerfell and fighting my way through Black Marsh ? the insects there are really harsh and it?s nearly all waterways. I think I came across two roads in the six months I was there. I met a really nice Nord girl in Skyrim??
His voice tailed off, he shrugged, ?there are no more off the beaten tracks to take anymore, y?know... What??
The old Dunmer had a smile, and a gleam in his eye that Francoise, who had never really taken to Dark Elves, found irresistible, it was a dangerous, irresponsible look, and he should know, most of his life had been spent following the irresponsible paths, much to his fathers chagrine, like when he?d tried to become a Bard, until a comely lass had tactfully suggested that his path lay in a different direction.
Their friendship was cemented in that moment.
Athelyn said, ?Akavir and Tamriel have always been at war, it?s been fairly bloodless because of the huge distances involved. They invade us and are beaten back, we return the favour, and yet, inbetween times we have spent time together.? He nodded at the statue, ?D?Hryss came to us on a homemade boat, alone, half dead, to warn us about an invasion the demons of kamal, Snow Hell, had concocted. He never betrayed his people, the denizens of Kamal and Tsaesci, the Snake Palace, hate each other?
?Like Tamriel, Akavir has different regions, kamal, where the demons live, Tsaesci, home of the snake people, Tang Mo, the monkey folk who are kind, brave and simple ? some say mad, and Ka Po? Tun, a race of tiger people attempting to become dragons. They are always one against another.
?Yet, in the closing years of the second Empire, Tamriel was ruled by a Tsaesci warrior, until the Morag Tong assassinated him. That ended the second age, and Tamriel collapsed into four hundred years of dark savagery??
Francoise laughed, and this time it was natural, and full of wonder, ?You want to go there, to Akavir, don?t you??

2E 540
Lord Galtis Fyr Seran was away that summer, strengthening the borders of Morrowind against Skyrim. He was at Reich Parkeep, it being particularly vulnerable thanks to the mountain pass through Ancient Gate. Though the natural barriers kept the Cyrodiilians at bay, the Nords of Skyrim were built of sturdier stuff, and weren?t averse to fighting a terrorist raiding war. With the collapse of the Empire some four centuries earlier, the world had become a more violent back and forth of border clashes.
So it was that the Lady of mournhold, Drelas Fyr Seran, found herself alone (not including the battalion of guards and protectors surrounding her), with a burning desire to travel to a small island, Ghome, far to the east. Her guards attempted to dissuade this dangerous desire, but like her future daughter, it could be very hard to tell her what to do. When they arrived they discovered a half dead Tsaesci snake man clinging to a raft that looked close to sinking. With barely any strength he raised himself high and bowed low. Drelas had to forcefully stop her guards from slaughtering him on the spot, but stated she would hear what he had to say.
?My lady Drelas, I called you from afar. My name is D?Hryss Tsaesci-Ohlsca and I bring grave warning for your husband, lord Galtis. The demon king Alda?Soom Dir-Kamal and his army is waking in the thaw of Kamal. They have plans for invading Morrowind.?
Rather than trust this information being sent by battlemages, lady Drelas decided to take this creature, and herself to her husband. A scout was sent ahead to alert Lord Galtis of their coming. Along the way she bathed and fed him, watching with interest as he tore into fresh goblin meat, sucking greedily at the fresh blood. She lay with D?Hryss on the last night of the journey for the Tsaesci are gold and tall and beautiful, if not a little frightening.
Her husband was less pleased to meet him, ?We are under attack from Skyrim with incursions from Cyrodiil, all the legions are stretched to breaking point and we can ask for no help from any quarter.?
D?Hryss said, ?Ada? Soom will be arriving on your eastern shores in seven years, you have some breathing space, for the thaws are not yet complete. Also, he hates me with a passion. Amongst our people it is said one of your gods repelled a previous invasion, can you expect no help from them this time??
Drelas and Galtis looked at each other, then Drelas proposed that D?Hryss might lead the demon to Red Mountain where Almalexia and the Underking could be evoked into helping them. In the meantime he was asked to help with the protection of the Skyrim border, where the Nords eventually tired of the 'bloodletting demon snake' and looked for easier conquest to the south and west. He made a home for himself in Reich Parkeep for the brief seven years before the Akavir invasion was due.
Although he successfully led the demon king to Red Mountain, he never returned from the endeavour. Lady Drelas commissioned a statue to be erected in the town he called, however briefly, home.

Well, I now know why the pair are so happy. They are mad, simple as that. I had heard that simple folk were the happiest, lack of knowledge being no barrier to happiness, but these two? Oh, they sound sane, and they could talk for Akatosh, but they tried to convince me that they have been to Akavir, and returned! For your amusement I include the transcript of their conversation and leave the belief or not, up to you...

I kind'a ran out of steam at this point, but I offer as is if you're interested. If you want more of the story, let me know - I kind of wandered off the main track but the friendship of the Elf and Breton was interesting to me...

Franc Kaos ~ Rogue Mage.
:goodjob: Yummy - you have brought that little corner of history alive, and might even inspire some of our modders to take up the Akaviri baton!

I do hope Razor feels the same way - with the present wording he will have to place the statue of the Tseasci in Reich Parkeep (more work for the wicked Big Grin ) or reword the start of your lively story: "There used to be a statue ... and so on. So that might reqiure you to find a reason why or how the statue disappeared or was moved...

One way or another I think you have fulfilled Razor's Commission (there are a few bits in there that I would like to work on with you) so congrats!

What's your next story planned to be about?
Not sure how you mean raggidman, but personally I couldn't be happier about the story. Smile
Wow! thanks for the kind words. I wasn't sure it would be good enough. Nice one (kind'a feeling shy now, not used to encouragement). As I've just discovered this site, and the only modding I've done (publicly) is a pictures / tapestry /carpets retexture, and reading CS tutorials, I'm still finding my feet.

I definitely know that I'm interested in creating NPCs with decent histories and a story to tell (the friendship with the Breton and the Dunmer I could've gone on with quite easily - I kind'a pictured them actually being in Reich Parkeep telling the player about their time in Akavir).

As for the story, please consider it Silgrad Towers public domain, feel free to push, pull and edit it to fit with whatever plans you have. Off to explore the site...
That's most kind of you Franc, and I would love to read more about your Breton-Dunmer friends in a future book. Smile

raggidman, I take it you don't have any thoughts on spelling/grammar in this book, and that it's good to go for inclusion into the mod? Smile

edit: 'pologies Razor, meant to reply, not edit... Blush - see below.
Pages: 1 2