Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Modder gardening poll :D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: normal_2006-06-07_GardeningPoll.jpg]

Soon... very soon now... oh I can't wait to see the Redoran building collection added and work on Soluthis start up! Big Grin

This poll is intended towards those of us who would like to mod in Soluthis, the Redoran part of Reich Parkeep, once it's set up. The question is; when you claim a house later on, would you like the default situation to be that you would also get to mod 1) the exterior to your house and 2) your house's garden?

This would have two perks. Obviously it would save me a lot of work, as I would only have to place house models and garden walls. But at the same time it would give the modder of the interior a great deal of creative freedom to customize the appearance of his home or shop, beyond just modding the interior.

If the poll comes out like I hope, what a modder would do later on is to find the building he claimed in the town exterior, matching up the claims number on the claims map to how the layout is in reality, recognize where the garden walls are, and mod inside them. That would include adding a door, awning, paper lanterns, barrels and urns, et cetera to decorate his exterior with.

I'd also ask that you stay below 100,000 faces for your garden, including the garden walls and house. To count them, drag out a selection box so all your stuff gets selected, and CTRL+left-click the ones that you missed alternatively CTRL+left-click-and hold to add a new selection. See the data in the absolute lower right of your window that says for instance [Sel Obj: 54, Fac: 32372...]? It's the number after Fac: that I'm referencing. By everyone adhering to that limit, give or take, then we can be sure that our town exterior doesn't get too big of a FPS hit. You wouldn't want your neighbour to drop half a million faces in his garden and cause players' game to come to a crawl in your cell, meaning the player might likely turn back before ever getting to see your home, now would you? =)
It isn't a guarantee that I'll take a claim for Soluthis, but from experience doing what I have with RP, I think this would be a great idea. Not only would it keep the exteriors diverse, but would allow people with no exterior modding experience (like me Wink ) to get some without having to mod entire regions.

Great idea RW! :yes:
Well technically I'm not an RP modder, but the garden idea is pretty good. Each garden would have a personal touch. We should probably try to keep them kind of simple, since, from my knowledge the Redoran don't really have green thumbs.
I like the idea, as it gives a lot of freedom to the modder.
Also for gaining experience with exterior modding, like shunoshi pointed out.

Summarizing :yes:.

Btw.
For modders who are reluctant of doing the exterior, I think we should make an exception, now and then.
I guess it would be a good idea.
Cool Big Grin

Thanks, and good to see you back with us shunoshi.

You bring up a really good point Siegfried. Plants are only part of it though. At the moment there are patio stones, furniture, rocks, awnings, lamps & candles, wooden planks, pathspears, and a few more things one can use to decorate the garden with. But I would sure appreciate ideas or maybe even concept art of new items that can be modelled and then modded into gardens, to broaden modders' choices. If you guys come up with ideas, don't hesitate to pitch 'em in a new thread on the Visual Dev board Big Grin

sandor: Definitely. I could just leave them blank for everyone and then if someone doesn't want to mod a garden for their house, I or someone else can fill it in.
A thought: since the Redoran are fiercesome warrior type people, might they have more rocks in their gardens than plants? Since they don't want to have to worry about caring for it to much, ect.
Quote:Originally posted by Siegfried
A thought: since the Redoran are fiercesome warrior type people, might they have more rocks in their gardens than plants? Since they don't want to have to worry about caring for it to much, ect.

Oh yeah, that's a great idea!
I've been meaning to take a look at the current 'selection' of rocks too. One is basically a sphere and the other two looks like duplicates, but technically aren't. I slapped them together once when I wanted to cover up the edges on the ends of the bridge but have used them a lot, and they really need a do-over.
Also, I don't think gardens would be as large as they are depicted in that screenshot.
Well, by garden he means yard right?
Pages: 1 2