Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: My After-Life: A Lich Unarmed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In my work on RPC40 North Guardtower, the NPC writes two eulogies for his dead dogs (I did not copy them here because they are very small additions.) One idea from a eulogy I found very funny. One of the dogs, Needly, stole a bone from a Lich. The lich came for his bone one day. The NPC does not describe the encounter or what happened. However, we discover the bone was the lich's arm. Just for fun, I'd like to contribute a bit of literature to the forum and hopefully someone will actually put it into a book or journal in ST:

*** BEGIN BOOK***

My After-Life: A Lich Unarmed
by Havidius the Lich (date unknown)

Allow me to begin by addressing your opinions of Lich and our role in the world. Yes, we are evil. We will likely kill you on sight and consume your soul for magical study.

I am Havidius. Prior to embarking on the long journey toward becoming a Lich, I was an Imperial Battlemage and a damn good one.

Now, I am an undead Lich. So, to dispell (figuratively, of course) a long-standing myth, Lich are not mindless creatures. Rather, we are typically quite clever.

Widely, heroes have sought Lich for battle, as we tend to possess magical artifacts and valuable worldly items. While an enjoyable past-time for the hero, I can personally attest that the practice is very disturbing to the Lich.

It has seemed over the centuries that every time I come close to acheiving a significant necromantic discovery, a hero barges in (or a group of heroes) and begins hacking away at my summoned guardians or unloading fire spells upon them. Defeating well-armed and well-trained opponents is time-consuming and distracts me from my work.

Contrary to your suspions, this story is not about a hero, necessarily. Well, that is to say, not your typical hero. Some time ago, I was in the process of developing a significant spell which caused my touch to whither a live being. Precisely, my intent was to cause live beings to age 20 years with each touch I placed upon them.

As I studied the requirements for this spell's success, I realized that one essential element was that I enchant my left arm utilizing 100 Grand Souls and 100 Black Souls. I'll not discuss the specifics for the spell's creation. The enchantment of my left arm was essential and is elemental in this story that is why it is mentioned.

Eventually, the enchantment process required that I detach my left arm and soak it in a pool of freshly spilled Argonian blood. Typically, I would simply wait for an Argonian hero to come die at my feet, but not this time. I was anxious to continue the process.

So, I hunted an Argonian farmer and killed him slowly in order that he might shed a lot of blood. Eventually, there was a sufficient quantity of blood so I magically detached my arm and dropped it to soak in the pool of blood at the Argonian's feet.

Timing is everything in life. It is also important to the undead. At that very moment, a group of Imperial Horsemen and four Battlemage's arrived. Well, I killed them, of course. I was bothered that they had interrupted my work, so I spent some time trapping their souls to torture and manipulate later.

In my distraction, I had missed a very important detail. The Imperial Guard were not alone. In the chaos of battle, I had failed to notice a guard dog with them. As I floated back to the pool of blood, I found my arm had been taken!

I began casting spells to divine the thief's location. Immediately, I discovered that the culprit had escaped and was trotting toward Reich Parkeep. The little dog was very clever, because fast as I flew I could not seem to find or catch it.

It was around midnight that I found the Guardtower in Reich Parkeep where the dog had finally stopped. I entered and greeted the guard inside. He gave his Nord name, Tarn Bapley. I began to consume his soul and reclaim my arm.

Before I could complete my spell, I was summoned! In my haste to recover my arm, I had errantly dropped my magical defenses. Like I said, timing is everything! Unfortunately, I was summoned right into the thick of a battle. Before I could react (as being summoned into a battle is disconcerting), another wizard cast some sort of stasis spell on me. As a result, I lost the link to my previous location and to the necromancer who summoned me.

The battle's outcome is unimportant. What is important is that I have been forced into servitude and have thusfar been unable to break my bondage. My master's cruelty has extended to limiting my access to magic. He really must be quite powerful.

It is very bothersome to acheive immortality only to spend it in service to another. All this aside, my master has permitted me to write the story of how I came into his service and now it is written.

Farewell. Let this pleading accompany you as you depart these pages. Should you come upon a one-armed Lich, seek out his master and kill him. Either destroy my master or me, but do not leave me to suffer an eternity as I am. Oblivion would be a welcome change.

***END OF BOOK***
That was a really good story! I would like to see that lich ingame, and be able to rescue or kill him.

If no one else wants to make that quest I will learn how to make quests and make it.
Thanks X23! I would not mind if the Lich was in-game. I have already made his arm. It is in RPC40 North District North Guardtower. The quest can launch from his arm or the eulogy next to it or this book (or all three Tongue) I really appreciate the feedback.

To have him in-game, we would need someone to model a lich without an arm (I don't know how, but I wonder if you can just detach an arm from the existing model.) Anyway, thanks again.

EDIT: In the quest, you could save him, give him his arm back and later, possibly, you could find him with both arms. (would be a matter of making two NPCs one on original mesh, one on the new mesh without the arm.) Hehe, never thought this could be a real quest but it does sound fun!
Great story! I couldn't help but laugh while reading it. It's great when people discuss the mundane elements of being a villain Big Grin
Thanks Siegfried! A good friend of mine is a great storyteller and used to tell hilarious stories from the perspective of the villians. He certainly is the inspiration for this story idea!
I used to know a guy who was always angry and uber serious. So every now and again one of my buddies and I would mess with him about being the "Lord of Darkness". We'd ask him things like "So Matt, is realestate for an evil lair cheaper at the center of the earth, or just below the crust?" or "Are your evil powers demonic, mutant, or robotic?"
When you're done you're guard tower I'll look in on how to do quests, and how to make quests with multiple resolutions.
X23: no problem. I'm working with sandor to touch up the loose ends (like not burning the place down.) When it is done, I'll try to let you know so you can download it. Or just watch for it in the claims, rpc 40.

Siegfried: haha! My best friend (who will be at my wedding, yippee!!!) has always been very aware of evil... he has a tendency not to actually BE evil, but he certainly UNDERSTANDS evil! Smile
The North Guardtower is finished and will be merged into the next alpha (I think) so if anyone is interested in playing the one-armed Lich quest through, feel free to use rpc40 to start getting ideas or start the quest. Good modding everyone!

P.S. Just got married! Alright, see you all in a couple weeks!
Great story! The quest around it would be very cool!

PS: Congrats! :goodjob:
Pages: 1 2