Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Should trade in Dwemer items still be illegal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In The Elder Scrolls III it was often mentioned that trade in Dwemer items were against the law. There were even a quest that saw the player dealing with limeware smugglers.
(Limeware is the name for Dwemer pottery)

Sadly, their illegality was only implied and not present in the game, i.e. you could sell dwemer stuff to any merchant you wanted without any legal problems. I don't think any normal merchants had dwemer items for sale though (which was a really nice way of keeping up the mystery of them in my opinion).

As far as I know, TES4 doesn't make any mention of the Dunmer having revised their law against Dwemer trade. The game does however strew Dwemer stuff around like there's no tomorrow, which ruins their mystique in my opinion. That could be interpreted as a changed stance on Bethesda's part had it not been for the special relationship between the Dwemer and the Dunmer, who fought each other for control over Morrowind. The Dwemer, who tried to exterminate the Dunmer, can be seen as their blood enemy of sorts, and their regalia would be seen as manifestations of pure evil in their eyes.

What do you guys think?
I say yes... but then again....
the Venim clan of the Great House Redoran uses a lot of Dwemer stuff...
and the Venim clan is also not afraid of using ebony - gods blood

so I dunno...
I think to modern Dunmer they are seen as foolish but powerful Mer who were profane and heretical but also very mysterious and strong... but of course not good, they'd see them anywhere from poor foolish Mer to evil, profane...

but it makes for more thieves and smuggling type of stuff so I think yes
except... not in all places... I think only where Imperials have influence...
cause I mean... Redoran don't care, Telvanni don't care... if it is profitable Hlaalu don't care...
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
The Dwemer, who tried to exterminate the Dunmer, can be seen as their blood enemy of sorts, and their regalia would be seen as manifestations of pure evil in their eyes.
Well, with the Imperials and the Ayleids... the Imperials demonized the Ayleids in their propaganistic (I think I just fabricated that word Tongue) literature... but they're very interested in their artifacts. Same thing here, perhaps? Though, the Dunmer are superstitious and all that... so, I dunno.
I say yes, it will add a lot more character to our game world if we do it that way.
KuKulzA: I think it was just trade that was outlawed, merely possessing it wasn't (unlike with 6th house objects).

Siegfried: True. It's one of the few special things left about the Province that Bethesda hasn't watered down, i.e. the now-illegalized slavery.

Axen: I'm not sure. Doesn't the Imperials admire the Ayelid culture in some way? What with the big tower in the Imperial city being Ayelid (I think). The Dunmer don't view the Dwemer in the same positive way, I think.
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Axen: I'm not sure. Doesn't the Imperials admire the Ayelid culture in some way? What with the big tower in the Imperial city being Ayelid (I think). The Dunmer don't view the Dwemer in the same positive way, I think.
Well, the Telvanni are interested in the Dwemer, but they're, well, the Telvanni.
And yeah, White-Gold Tower is Ayleid, and so is Chim-El Adabal (which translates to King Amulet/Amulet of Kings). The Ayleids constructed the tower to imitate the Adamantine Tower (AKA Ada-Mantia, I think...), which is why it doesn't look have the traditional Ayleid look. Looks like the Imperials based the architecture of the Imperial City (... DID they build the Imperial City? Or is that also Ayleid? I've got no idea) and the Wayshrines on it. Strange that the Imperials heavily demonize the Ayleids (the only evil/oppressing Ayleids were the King of White-Gold and maybe the King of Nenalata), yet they admire them.
I'd have to say 'Yes'. I don't think much could change in the short 3 years(?) from Morrowind to Oblivion.

Then again, merchants in Morrowind didn't do crap about you selling them illegal items, besides hand you money.
Quote:Originally posted by DarkEclipse
I'd have to say 'Yes'. I don't think much could change in the short 3 years(?) from Morrowind to Oblivion.
I vote yes, because it would add to many good questing opportunities and overall storyline depth to not include, so long at we actually take advantage of it (unlike MW did, as you mentioned).
yes: quest posibleties, more diversity from province to province, lore.
Pages: 1 2