Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: .snd audio files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This post isn't related to Silgrad Tower Big Grin
(a bit unusual for me, ey)

I'd like to ask if someone here has ever heard of the audio file format .snd? I believe it's an archaic format to store music for games, before the mp3 format was invented. I came across such a file while browsing my old cd of Might & Magic VI... which was published nine years ago. Yep, my wrinkles aint just for show, I'm old as hell and was probably playing computer games before half the guys here were born. Wink

It's quite possible the audio format was internal to the company who produced the game (published by 3do, developed by New World Computing). If so, I imagine I'm screwed, but on the off chance anyone has heard of it, I would be very grateful for tips on how to convert this .snd file to a format that can be listened to on Windows.

I don't have any designs for using it for anything other than listening to it, as it's one of my favourite old games. Plus I've had a melody churning in my head for months now and I can't figure out if it's from the Might & Magic VI soundtrack or from a classical music piece.... Big Grin

Here's a copy of the file, in case you want to check it out:
http://files.filefront.com/Audiosnd/;515...einfo.html

A heads-up though, if you open it in Windows Media Player or similar program you'll most likely hear a very load, agonizing scrambled audio, so turn the volume down really low if you plan to test.
It was also used for Daggerfall.
http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/file...on.php?snd -> it says it can be played by Apple Quicktime Player.... Did you try that yet?

[EDIT]I'm downloading it and it said "Winamp Media File"?[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]Quicktime ain't working, sorry[/EDIT2]
It's not a standard .snd file. I'ts an archive (starts with a directory). You'd need an extractor / decompressor.
I think you're bum out of luck. My searching came up with two good extractors for game files but niether support the type of .snd archive from M&M VI. Maybe someone else can get them to work:

MultiEx Commander
The only types of .snd archives this recognizes are from Daggerfall, Heroes Chronicles, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, and Star Trek: Birth of the Federation - none of which will open this particular archive. The Star Trek .snd extension never actually erred out, though. I let it extract for 30 minutes and nothing happened except the progress bar going nuts the whole time. Maybe if it goes longer????

Game Extractor
This one just plain out says it can't open it.
Cuthalion, gundalf, bobbyhood:
Thankyou so much for your research and tests! I hope I didn't cause you guys too much trouble =)

I fear you may be right, bobbyhood. Perhaps back then game companies had to code music players on their own, unlike Oblivion for instance which almost feels like it uses a 'hacked' version of Windows Media Player, perhaps for Xbox 360 compatibility. So, going by yours and others feedback above, it seems likely Might & Magic VI is the only application in existence that can make sense of the audio data in that file. Perhaps I can go real oldskool on it's ass and hold a tape recordor up to my speakers, he he... though the tape recorder these days would be the microphone I bought the other day. We'll see. Just a little thing on the side I'm interested in fiddling with Big Grin
There are good utilities that can record "What you hear".....
I don't think I knew about youtube's existence the last time I looked into this. I thought about the music track again today, that mysterious music that has been in the back of my mind since forever and that I couldn't put my finger on, but suspected it came from Might & Magic VI.

Here it is. You could hear it while exploring Egypt-like tombs in the game. To me, that song - the sheer melody of it - is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard. And I'm really glad I can hear it again Smile

Except... it's not really from Might & Magic VI after all. Rather, the song is Adagio in G minor by Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni. I guess that's why it's so good hehe Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Except... it's not really from Might & Magic VI after all. Rather, the song is Adagio in G minor by Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni. I guess that's why it's so good hehe Big Grin
Foiled!! I just spent the last 10 mins figuring out the chords and so on. Still here were my conclusions:

1. Intro is in D Phrygian major
2. Piece in in G minor/B flat major
3. Melosy makes rather heavy use of the harmonic minor.
4. First bit of the main theme is a standard minor 1,4,5 movement.
5. Second bit moves in 5ths.

See, this is what happens when you're a musician and have no life. Wink Anyway, seems I was right. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Foiled!! I just spent the last 10 mins figuring out the chords and so on. Still here were my conclusions:

1. Intro is in D Phrygian major
2. Piece in in G minor/B flat major
3. Melosy makes rather heavy use of the harmonic minor.
4. First bit of the main theme is a standard minor 1,4,5 movement.
5. Second bit moves in 5ths.

See, this is what happens when you're a musician and have no life. Wink Anyway, seems I was right. Smile

Hehe, well at least I hope the unfortunate mind puzzle was somewhat entertaining Big Grin

I should get around to updating my will... I don't plan on dying anytime soon, I probably got a good forty or fifty years left. But when my time is up I want them to play adagio in G minor at my funeral Smile
Pages: 1 2