Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Vvar: Dwemer Military Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In Dwemeric...

NOTE By Yagrum:
This book is written by a scholar with no military background. He simply took from what other said. It is not an entirely trustable source and is slightly outdated in its information as it is before Resdayn. During Resdayn's time, the Dwemer forces became almost all armored except miltia.

Dwemer Military Guide

Our Ranks
Our armies are the greatest upon Nirn. However we are great and truly revolutionary in that our army is organized in a unique way. Our armies have ranks and positions that clearly define the authorities and soldiers.
  • Vvardenfell Ranks:
    Machines
    - Sphere Centurion
    - Centurion Archer
    - Steam Centurion
    - War Centurion
    - Siege Centurion
    Footsoldiers
    - Armored Troops: Shield-mer, Supporter, Veteran, Cohort Captain
    - Spearmer: Spearmer, Halberdier, Cohort Captain
    - Bowmer: Archer, Crossbowmer, Cohort Captain
    Specialized
    - Ballista
    Commanders: Cohort Officer, Combined Arms Officer, Army Commander
Our Sphere, Archer, and Steam Centurions serve as defensive forces. The War Centurion wears the Centurion armor and in desperate times, this armor can be stripped to be replaced on a Dwemeri warrior. The Siege Centurion is a 20 unit tall golem, as tall as four or five Altmer standing on each other's heads. The Armored troops all bear shields and hammers, axes, and swords. Our Spearmer are lightly armored, wearing only our mesh armor and robesover that. They are meant to be flexible and fast, able to quickly guard flanks if need be and are easily mustered from populations. Our crossbowmer use our deadly crossbows to great effect, however lightly armed archers are used in harassing. In certain situations, our walking ballista are called forth but are normally assigned to defensive roles.

NOTE: lightly armored is a relative term. Compared to Nords and Chimer, our lightly armored troops are seemingly well-armored, and our armored troops are sometimes mistaken to be golems by our ignorant neighbors.

Our brothers in the Velothi Mts. have a more traditional army, but they too have a certain level of organization. Their machinery is less well-developed and their armor is the same as their War Centurion's. However they have adopted insect-riding from Great House Dagoth, making them a lighter and more mobile force, however their weaponry is somewhat inferior to ours.
  • Velothi Mts. Ranks:
    Machines
    - Sphere Centurion
    - Steam Centurion
    - War Centurion
    Clansmer
    - Warriors: Hill-mer, Centurion, Lead Soldier
    - Archers: Archer, Armored Archer, Lead Archer
    Specialized
    - Ballista
    - Ash-scarab riders
    Commanders: Clan-head, Veteran Officer, Marshal

Our Tactics
This is by no means a fool-proof guide. However this guide does contain several good tactics to use against the enemy. Against Nords, be sure to form a tight-formation that is very deep with spearmer on the sides. Most Nords go lightly-armored and so holding the line is crucial to buy you spearmer time to move on their flanks and hit them where they are weak. Another tactic is to form a funnel. Have your footsoldiers on the flanks while having machines in the center. As the Nords charge down, move your flanks inward to trap them in a funnel; the machines will not flee and will hold the line as your warriors bear down on their flanks. As for Chimer, be wary of ambushes. As their weaponry is much inferior to ours, they will rely on stealth or overwhelming numbers. They also have talented wizard-warriors, therefore when fighting them, have a staggered formation with troops wider apart, that way any magical attacks or rocks from above will hit fewer troops at a time. Chimer warriors are very brave but cut down their leaders and they will begin to scatter. Against the northern hill-orcs you must be cautious. They are not in great numbers but their strength and armor make up for that. They will fight tenaciously, so therefore an extensive use of crossbows which puncture armor well should be employed.
Though our armies are slower that our opponents' we have the advantage of better equippment as well as technology. Our Siege Centurions can tear down walls and trample enemy ranks. Our heavily armored troops can march through some lighter ambushes and archer-vollies without loosing anyone. And our war-machines are quickly produced and though they are not the best of warriors, they do decently and are good for defense. Pyroil Tar, though expensive, is good for nightly attacks, raids, or when in dire straits.

Other Tactics
This is a short summary of our enemies' tactics. The Nords will tend to raid via their boats and also ride in-land with such things as horses. They are therefore very mobile. Their fighting style is a wild swinging motion which leaves them exposed but they hit hard. They also have mysterious men who use their voices to fight. They can blow down walls and mer simply with their voices. The Chimer use a more stealthy approach, they fire arrows and javelins as well as spells before they engage. Regardless of their armory, they all tend to have a close fighting style made to be agile and evasive. They use stury but slow Guar and insect cavalry and are very versatile and good fighters, however when outnumbered and cornered, they stand no chance. Orcs tend to use a compact hacking style derived from their heavy armor and use of heavy weaponry. They take blows that would knock men over and though not the most agile or warriors, one or two of their hacks is likely to maim most.

Our Armies
Currently we have 4 full-time armies and one at reserve. The Army of Star-Wound is comprised of the Crater-Cohorts and is a crack-force but rarely used offensively. We have two armies in the northwest to check orcs and nords, and one in the west and another in the south to watch over the Chimer. Our Velothi kin maintain two standing armies of well-trained forces but they are small armies. Instead they rely on being able to muster plenty of clansmer quickly. Lucklily for us, our Freeholds can muster three full armies in emergency if need be, however that would be stretching our resources and would probably be unnecessary.
Don't call them "machines", call them "Animunculi".
Arachnid Animunculus, Sphere Animunculus, Archer Animunculus, Colossus Animunculus, etc. Don't forget the Scarab (did they ever make one, or was it just some unused plans and schematics?).
Quote:Originally posted by Axen
Arachnid Animunculus, Sphere Animunculus, Archer Animunculus, Colossus Animunculus etc. Don't forget the Scarab (did they ever make one, or was it just some unused plans and schematics?).
why? did the Dwemer call them that?
I always thought it was a Cyrodiilic term...

and I suspose if that's all you say that is all that there is 'wrong' right?
that's good... it's more of a semi-subjective writing by some Dwemer scholar who cranky old Yagrum basically doesn't totally agree with
Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
Arachnid Animunculus, Sphere Animunculus, Archer Animunculus, Colossus Animunculus etc. Don't forget the Scarab (did they ever make one, or was it just some unused plans and schematics?).
I dunno. "Centurion" sounds more like a Cyrodiilic term than "Animunculus".
I think that's an opinion Wink
Go ask on the lore forum at the TES forum.
Go ask on the lore forum at the TES forum.
nah, I'm good, I already know what I need to know, no need to ask people if they think Animiculi sounds more cyrodiilic than centurion
I suspect that the 'animunculi' term is quite effective, and could be used judiciously as well as the centurion term.

Animunculi is the kind of term that a mediaeval Alchemist would use, and is very technical and Dwemer. And it is also entirely appropriate that the ever inventive and adaptive Dwemer would take an Imperial term like centurion and use that for a military machine. But then again, the Imperials might have got their technical and mathematical terms from the Dwemer?

Remember that languages borrow from each other, and feel free to make use of that. No sense in cramping your own style. Also this is intended to be a layman's observation - so it really comes back to feel = if the layman's description was innaccurate in any way then Yagrum's antipathy to this writer is explained.

'course, following your concept that yagrum does not respect this writer KK, maybe Yagrum himself might add a notation to the effect that: "This 'amateur' journalist doesn't seem to even have heard of the word 'aminunculi,' he talks more like an Imperial than a proper Dwemer and doesn't seem to realise it. Maybe he was backward and was unable to understand elementary technical terminology?" Tongue

Wink never fear KK, if you can't take the p... of yourself, I can do it for you! Big Grin
Done, with minor grammar corrections, and a few changes in line with the comments originally posted.