Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Looking for Soluthis concept art
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm a bit strapped for inspiration when it comes to town layouts at the moment, but since artists here might not be I thought I'd ask if someone would like to draw concept art sketches of scenes from Soluthis? Soluthis is the Redoran part of the city Reich Parkeep.

I would very much appreciate art that is technically reminiscant of sketches like the ones below, which shows layout and arrangements from Morrowind towns. They don't have to look like that per se, but I think the images highlights how clear lines are needed and that they show town layouts.

http://gallery.silgrad.com/albums/userpi...wind11.jpg
http://gallery.silgrad.com/albums/userpi...wind12.jpg
http://gallery.silgrad.com/albums/userpi...wind19.jpg

If you come up with designs for new Redoran exterior elements I wouldn't mind having a go at modelling them - so if you like, please pick up your pens and let your creative juices flow. Big Grin

( Oh. And I can't stress enough how I would need sketches, with clearly defined lines and shapes; not paintings or textual descriptions. Those are nice, but not as useful for this particular purpose. Smile )
Hi. So. I need a few details.

How large of a drawing do you want?

How many are you looking for? Different views? Details? I can work in as many new ideas as you want to model.

Would you like colour or not? I can work opaque or tansparent.

How much rendered detail do you need? The reference photos have varying levels, and the one had a detail shot of that cargo bay/dock thing.

How exact to the Redoran style do you want the buildings to be? If I remember correctly, weren't they made out of insect carapaces? If this is meant to be placed in Cyrodil (is it?) transporting exceptionally large exoskeletons is a rather heroic feat. Do you want me to use the essence of the building styles (the round, soft line, organic forms, light colour, round windows, etc.) and adapt them to something more logical, such as stone?

Will there be an almsivi temple? I mean, if you are going to import the architecture, why not tote the religion along with it?

Do you want a planned city, like the Imperial City, or something a little more organic? And if this is meant to fit within the bounds of a larger city, is there a preset shape for the district limits?

What geography am I working with?

Are there any obvious precepts to redoran belief? I never played a character who joined that house in Morrowind. Is central placement and indication of status? Height of a building? Depth? It seemed everyone of importance was under skar in ald ruhn.

Are there any buildings you already have in mind? Certain locations and/or objects such as a monument or garden or something? If not I'd seperate a commercial section; residential: rich, average, and poor; religious: chapel, almsivi, etc; a House Redoran villa; and perhaps a University to rival the Arcane, one that boasts masters in fighting techniques. Other than that, a tavern/inn for different social strata.

If this is is a sort of blend between Redoran style and Cyrodillic style, I'm going to suggest heavy redoran influence translated into stone, with a little obvious Ayleid influence. The ruins and the towers of the IC are some of the most impressive architechture in the game, and people tend to imitate that which impresses them.

I think thats about it for now. I'll do a little research in both game related and real world architechture. Redoran style reminds me of Indian stupas and some ancient African architecture. I should have preliminary roughs done by Thursday, hopefully. The more detailed and in depth you need, the longer it'll take, but I'm pretty sure a few roughs can get sketched in a few days.
1. I assume you don't mean pixel size or bytesize? If you do, the bigger the better. But if you mean how much of the town would be shown on the drawing then maybe 1/4th of it? The town is laid out like a circle wall with two hills inside, in the middle, laid out like a figure 8 and connected with a bridge. So wherever you look you would usually see a softly bent city wall. The citywall is usually four or five exterior cells distance away from either hill.

2. I think four or five new models could be a good number, if I think about how much time it would take to model them. Three or four drawings of city layout would be nice.

3. You can use color if there is also a black-and-white sketch. I.e. if you scan it as black-and-white before adding color. The B&W would be crucial to see the lines clearly and mod/model it as true to your design as possible, while the color one could be good to gauge which kinds of textures and materials you had in mind. It doesn't have to be transparant unless you'd like us to have the option of using it in-game. It would be pretty neat to feature your drawings as paintings or sketches in-game Big Grin

4. I have no idea what you mean.

5. The house models have already been modelled, so the city layout drawings would more reflect interesting and userfriendly arrangements of those buildings. You can use simple lines and shapes for that purpose if you like.

If you'd like to draw new models, apart from the finished house models, then they would need to be full-fledged concept art with clear lines and so forth but that's not needed for the stuff that's already been modelled. Those models should stay as true to the original Redoran design from TES3 as possible; i.e. applying the design elements to how you would envision new Redoran objects never seen in TES3. Smile

There is only one case of Redorans living in an insect carapace; Skar in Ald-ruhn. Their other buildings - like you say - are inspired by animal- and nature forms, particularly circular designs of varying types.

The town is located on Morrowind's mainland.

6. There is one in town, modelled and finished. Smile

7. More organic than planned, reminiscant of the layouts of Ald-ruhn and Maar Gan. Would you consider downloading Alpha 05.9 to see hands-on how the walls and hills are laid out and how big it's planned to be? That'd be great. If you do, it's mostly the empty parts of town I would love to have concepts for.

8. The plan is to change the area to having a more West Gash feel to it. A bunch of new plant models will need to be made, since dumbly enough I've modelled just about every plant *except* west gash flora up until now. Kreshweed, Roobrush, Chokeweed and Muckspunge will be the dominant smaller flora, coupled with Gold Kanet and Stoneflower for added variety. We're also using a lot of other flora that doesn't have any real base in Morrowind, like Dandelions, just for variety. Emperor Parasols and West Gash-inspired trees will be the dominant larger flora, and you're most welcome to design the latter.

If you feel like designing huge West Gash-inspired rocks and/or rock formations too, I would love to model them as well, and use them in favor of the Cheydinhal rocks I use at the moment.

Quote:Are there any obvious precepts to redoran belief? I never played a character who joined that house in Morrowind. Is central placement and indication of status? Height of a building? Depth? It seemed everyone of importance was under skar in ald ruhn.

9. House Redoran is a warlike and aggressive culture, and together with Indoril is the House with closest ties to the Temple. So they are quick to anger, proud, and religious. (in my opinion) Aside from Skar, which isn't used in the town, there's a 'manor' building, which looks kinda like the DeathDealer mask sans the spike in the middle:
http://www.master-works.net/pictures/PMF...Dealer.jpg

There's also a building I call "Council Club" whose design allures to Skar, and which is home to only upper-clase people. But the manor is the only traditional building for rich Redorans. The one called "Hole" is used for shops (but other buildings can be used as shops as well; the Hole just won't be used for non-shops).

Looking forward to it! =)
can I make one too?!
Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
can I make one too?!

Of course you can, I love your concept art. =)
I didn't ask you preemptively because I just didn't want to take time away from Vvardenfell, but if you want to then I'd love to see Soluthis through your eyes as well.
Could I maybe get a screenshot of the town? Or is that not possible? I might download the alpha, but I'm having difficulties with the computer that has oblivion and morrowind on it.

Ok, so you are looking for those croissant and muffin-esque buildings then? A little velothi influennce?
I have a few ideas for streetlamps and a plaza.

I'll look into some west gash style rocks.

did you want flora concepts?
ok, as soon as I get my scanner working correctly I have a very rough concept for a streetlamp, or brazier if you cut the size quite a bit.

currently, technology hates me.

ok, so this district is a figure eight. The two hills, are they in the middle of the loops, or where the loops intersect? And is this a grandoise bridge, something large and extravagant and fun to draw? I saw two little house models on the homepage that seemed like they were for this part of the project. I'll work those into my sketches.
I should be able to get my first concept of the city up tonight. Do you want it directly in this thread, or a link to a host?

Also, I'm not certain that it is going to be correct. I've been uncertain about the proximity of the hills/mountains to each other, etc. So I just made a small, basic sketch. Once you see it, it can get changed all around.
Quote:Originally posted by jaguarundi
I should be able to get my first concept of the city up tonight. Do you want it directly in this thread, or a link to a host?

Also, I'm not certain that it is going to be correct. I've been uncertain about the proximity of the hills/mountains to each other, etc. So I just made a small, basic sketch. Once you see it, it can get changed all around.

Cool! Feel free to upload it to our concept art gallery:
http://gallery.silgrad.com/thumbnails.php?album=22
:eek: Aaaah, Razorwingy, is there no end to your talents? :pop: Artist too??? :goodjob:
Pages: 1 2