Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: A way to use Morrowind textures without legal issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a pm I sent to Archeopterix, along with his response. This should help make the recreation of Morrowind armour and weapons much easier.

Quote:
Quote:I've read the thread regarding porting Morrowind content to Oblivion, however I was wondering if it would still be considered illigal to use textures from Morrowind as a base for Oblivion, using new meshes. For example, would it be considered legal if you were to cut up the Imperial Newt Cuirass texture so it fit on the Savior's hide mesh, then using some photoshop wizery, increase the resolution to something similiar of an Oblivion texture? Thus essentially the mod would not be using Morrowind's textures or models, but a modified Morrowind texture.

Thank you for your time,
-xifr.

I think in that case it would fall under the being a collage, so its fine. Smile Remember you would have to normal map it still.
Hey, great find man! I'm gonig to copy this to the Silgrad Visual Dev Boards so they know about this too.
Well it might be good but for the Modification, after were done with plenty of stuff, i think it might be best to create our opwn textures for every morrowind texture we use, soo it can be original and people wont say, those guys took the Morrowind textures. It will also be a better idea to use our own texture because the resolution on thoses things are pretty small compared to oblivion. Sorry, didnt mean to spoil or bother you guys but just throwing around ideas.
You have to modify them a lot from their original state, and they're very low-res. Plus, you probably should've asked Pete or BlueDev.
Pete has already stated that using assets from any previous game is not permitted. I'm not sure about this case, though. You should check it out further, just to be safe.
Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon
Pete has already stated that using assets from any previous game is not permitted. I'm not sure about this case, though. You should check it out further, just to be safe.
Yeah good point, someone should probably look into it.
Contacting devs is usually futile, but when it comes to copyright matters they are very quick to respond. I think it has to do with a legal philosophy that you have to defend your copyright in order to keep it... at least I've talked over email with Pete Hines on a couple of occasions. If you want to clarify the legal situation, PM me and I'll PM his email adress.
Quote:Originally posted by xifr
Here's a pm I sent to Archeopterix, along with his response. This should help make the recreation of Morrowind armour and weapons much easier.

Quote:
Quote:I've read the thread regarding porting Morrowind content to Oblivion, however I was wondering if it would still be considered illigal to use textures from Morrowind as a base for Oblivion, using new meshes. For example, would it be considered legal if you were to cut up the Imperial Newt Cuirass texture so it fit on the Savior's hide mesh, then using some photoshop wizery, increase the resolution to something similiar of an Oblivion texture? Thus essentially the mod would not be using Morrowind's textures or models, but a modified Morrowind texture.

Thank you for your time,
-xifr.

I think in that case it would fall under the being a collage, so its fine. Smile Remember you would have to normal map it still.
Thats good to hear, they would have to be resized and 'callaged' to work for oblivion anyway as I've discovered while porting morrowind textures into oblivion.

And normal mapping is easy, takes to seconds to do with Adobe Photoshop CS2.
Morrowind textures are made in a lower resolution. It would be best to create textures from scratch or use them as a base for new textures.