Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Vvar- The True Origins of Dunmeri Swears
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't have much time so I'l start with Fetcher then I'll go to N'wah and N'chow, etc. when I get back
and I'll probably make up a few new ones... I'll probably base them off of Taiwanese swears Big Grin
remember, this Briras Sareloth is a joker, and writes for the enjoyment of commoners, he is no scholar Wink

[/hr]

The True Origins of Dunmeri Swears
by
Briras Sareloth

Fetcher
How did fetcher come about? Well ask the Dres...
Long ago, a Dres noble named Azumatal, yes they have very traditional names, had a very promiscuous daughter. She also happened to have a sexual preferrence for Argonians, but that is besides the point. Anyhow, this Azumatal was very liberal with his slaves, and even had a few promoted to sentries. Now he heard that his daughter had been making love to one of the Argonian sentries and sent one of his slaves to go get her. He was such a kind fellow and didn't want to punish anyone... so the shameful habit went on. Everytime he found out she was enjoying herself with his slaves he'd tell his courier-slave to "fetch her!" Well eventually he needed to "fetch her" so many times that he began calling all his slaves "fetcher", and the name stuck. To this day, 'fetcher' is a softer way of saying 'slave' or 'scum'.

N'Chow
Though N'chow and n'wah seem very similar, their origins cannot be further apart... Once, long ago, a young noblewoman was traveling to Thorn. Though once owned by Great House Dres, it had been lost in the Arnesian War, not that i need to remind you of that. The lady was traveling to visit relatives there but her retinue was ambushed and captured by a band of Argonians. Sensing that she was an educated individual, these savage lizard-men asked her what N'wah meant. She said that it was a very insulting word that meant slave. That night, an Argonian grabbed her and kept repeating that she was his N'wah. He took off his trousers and was ready to defile the lady's mouth, but the lady, remembering several verses in the Sermons that mentioned "spears" and "biters" and "bled", bit hard. The foolish Argonian cired aloud "N' -ch..OW!!!"
Argonians claim that there is a long standing hatred betwen Dunmer and Argonian because of slavery. However, in truth, it must be that the Argonians are ashamed to have been bested in such a disgraceful manner by a woman, and also unintentionally adding another oath to the list of profane-words of the Dunmeri.

N'wah
How did n'wah come about? Well ask the Chimer and Dwemer...
Long ago in the time of Resdayn when Dwemer and Chimer united to fight off the Nords.... a Dwemer-sentry asked a fellow patrol companion, "did you hear the news? the Nords have attacked from the north!" It was early morning and the groggy Chimeri companion-sentry grumbled, "wah?" Slightly taken aback by the Chimer's obvious lack of interest in the wider world and more interest in getting back to his sleeping mat, the Dwemer sighed and repeated, "the Nords!" The tired and distracted Chimer heard N-something and asked, "N ...wah?" Extremely exasperated, the Dwemer sentry cried, "N-O-R-D-S!!! Those hairy naked white skinned Atmorans! Big Axes! Loud voices! Honey-beers!?" Suddenly remembering the last battle he was in, the Chimer nodded in rememberance... and then realizing he still didn't know the name he turned to the Dwemer and asked, "N... wah?" The Dwemer just sighed and shook his head and resigned to the fact that the Chimer he had to patrol with cared only for food and bed.
Years later, Battle at Red Mountain... the Chimer is a House Redoran regiment officer
"Line up! ...do as I say! Spearmen in front, swordsmen in back, archers behind them..... Today, we shall destroy our blasphemous cousins!"
The Armies of Nerevar began their warcries and oaths to their Clans... and so the Chimeri officer joined in... "die you... N... ...wah?"
His regiment, hearing their officer utter his defiant warcray all joined in: "die you N'wah!!!"
And so the name stuck and eventually was applied to all foreigners and folk who did not share the culture of the Chimer, and later the Dunmer.

Stoopid
How did stoopid come about? Well ask the Ashlanders...
Long ago, when Orcs lived in the northern ash-hills, there was an orc called Dugrot gro-Mashnar. He considered himself very intelligent, and at a trading meeting between a tribe of Ashlanders and the Orcs, he decided to show off his brains. So while the Ashkhan and the orc-chief discussed the trading of armors for several guar, the Dugrot went up to one of the Ashlanders and said, "Heya you sa wery stoopid ya!" And the surprised Dunmer looked up, shocked at this orc's "intelligence" and said, "orc, why am I stoopid? What does it mean!" The Orc, taken aback replied, "You doesn't knows? Stoopid means bad-head!" And everyone, even the Orcs laughed at this. And from that day on, the Dunmer learned the word stoopid. Though Imperials try to teach us that it is stupid, and not stoopid, I guess we have been too stoopid to correct our pronounciation.
Funny funny, got any more?
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Hehe, nice work KuKulzA! It was a good read Smile

My only suggestion is to change the word "fetish" to something else, because I think the word specifically implies an inanimate object. "Sexual preference" perhaps? Just a thought.
I still want to know what N'Wah means!

:bananarock:
N'wah is a racial slur comparable to 'the n-word', or so BlueDev (I think it was) said, for anyone not of their culture.
Hmmm..... I don't know if thats true, as if you played as a Dunmer you would also be called N'wah, but then again you were and outlander...
Quote:Originally posted by Kion Gealrion
Hmmm..... I don't know if thats true, as if you played as a Dunmer you would also be called N'wah, but then again you were and outlander...

Yes exactly. If you played a Dunmer, you played a Dunmer outlander. That's why you're not part of their culture, even though you were of the same race. Like a caucasian American being roughly the same "race" as a Swede despite the significant cultural and societal differences. Now that I looked, I still have the quote in my misc notes text doc on my desktop, which I used last time I mentioned it here on the forum.

Quote:Bluedev: "N'wah" certainly has more insulting overtones than just "foreigner." It's a flat-out racial slur (though, in this case, referring to anyone *not* of a specific culture). It is roughly equivalent to a specific racial slur, which we'll just call " the n-word." Clearly, "n'wah" isn't a nice thing to call someone.
N'wah added

n'chow next
n'chow? I've never heard that one before...
From The Imperial Library's "The Elder Scrolls Translation Dictionary"

Nchow
Meaning: a vulgar term, like saying 'damn'
Origin: Dunmeri
Usage: ''Nchow!''
Source: The Four Suitors of Benitah and Smuggler's Island
Reliable: Yes
Pages: 1 2