Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Vvar - Morrowind's New Generation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is Duke Vedam Dren's writing. He wrote this in his spare time on the reflection of the changing Morrowind.

[/hr]

Morrowind's New Generation
by Duke Vedam Dren
When I was but a young Mer living in the northern Deshaan plains on the Dren clan's ancestral herding grounds, Morrowind was very different. The Indoril had the largest and richest lands, and ruled all of the Deshaan plain except for the hillish area south of Coronati which belonged to the Hlaalu, though Hlaalu related clans resided all over the west Deshaan. The Redoran were stronger then, having a very powerful influence over the southern Velothi Mountains with their regional hold of Kragenmoore, their indomidable fortress of Tel-kogo (now Silgrad City), and Blacklight. The Dres were also much more powerful then, and much more traditional. They still practiced Daedra worship and ancestor cults and their customs resemble the ashlanders' today. They traded with Thrassians and raided Arnesia of Black Marsh for slaves. However since the invasion of the Empire, our land and people have changed.

When the Empire invaded, our people were not united. The Hlaalu, seek vengeance on the Indoril oppression, quickly join the Imperials and abosrbed the western Deshaan clans which were in truth mostly related to Hlaalu. The Redoran wanted the Indoril and Dres to send their forces to the Velothi Mountains so that the Imperials could be contained in the passes. The Indoril and Dres wanted the Redoran to lay low so that the Cyordiilic legions would enter the interior and be more easily ambushed and defeated. Frankly, the Telvanni cared little but sources indicate that if the Telvanni were invaded, their wizards would have joined the war, and would have fought a merciless guerilla war, thankfully for them, the Legions never got that far. The Legions outnumbered the Dunmer as they brought not only Cyrodiilics in large numbers but also many Orcs, Nords, Khajiits, and Argonians, all of whom have certain grudges against the Dunmer. At the singing of the Armistice, the as much as half of the Indoril nobility committed suicide for their honor, this allowed the Hlaalu to rise to power and stage coups. Soon Morrowind was to change drastically.

Today, economically, the Hlaalu are the strongest, followed closely by the Dres. The Indoril have the most potential in technology, manpower, and funds, but their leadership is poor and many of their people are emigrating to southern Telvanni lands, Redoran lands, and Vvardenfell. Their borders are being crosses by Hlaalu and Dres. The Great House Redoran too is in disarray. While the Vvardenfell holds are becoming very centralized and militaristic, the mainland areas, long under Imperial subjugation are finding themselves with few leaders, but little resistance. What has caused all of this?

The new Hlaalu generation, born from the previous, which made the fateful decision to join the Empire, is ambitious and clever. The new generation is learning to use its immense power, like a child who has stood up and learning to walk. This is a powerful but dangerous time fro the Hlaalu, they must not make a fatal error or they will fall. The Dres are also changed. No longer will they own slaves, though sadly many former slaves are now sharecroppers or migrant workers, at least those who haven't returned to their own lands. The Dres are split into two, the common majority who cling to their old ways and also are the farmers and warriors, while the nobility has mostly gone to King Helseth's side. Any nobles who haven?t are likely to have gone farther south or to Indoril lands, Redoran lands, or to Vvardenfell to escape persecution. The Redoran are feeling their time come for resurgence and to take back what is theirs. And the Telvanni have become more aggressive and ambitious. Even the Ashlanders look to the future with a sense of optimism.

Having served in the Legions I know the formidable force it is. Dunmer warriors may be more skilled, but the Legions have more men and are better led. Dunmer leaders lead by example and from talent or self-taught tactics, Cyrodiilic ones are trained and schooled in the art of war. However the presence of the Legions is less strong and on Vvardenfell many have defected to join the Houses or absorbed by Helseth's Morrowind Legion, an imitation of Cyrodiil's but adapted for the Dunmer people. As the new generations begin to rise to power and sense their strengths and weaknesses, Morrowind will be ushered into a new era of change.

This change however is unlikely to come without war. The Redoran of Vvardenfell are on friendly terms with the Telvanni, both of whom fought Daedra and Nords while the other Houses simply watched and waited for an opportunity to profit. The Caldera situation has gotten worse as Hlaalu and Morrowind Legion troops have occupied what the Redoran consider their territroy. The Grand Council is indeed at this moment debating the Redoran's claim and it appears it is swinging to the Redoran's favor.

However the ambitious new generation might not falter and may avoid war. Master Aryon of the Telvanni is a persuasive talker, a great orator, and one of the greatest wizards that the Telvanni have. Ralos Venim, son of Bolvyn, is very charismatic, though aggressive, but moderated by Athyn Sarethi's fortitude and influence. The Hlaalu on Vvardenfell are led by Raynasa Rethan, beautiful and persuasive, skilled in war but disdains it. Hopefully the Indoril and Dres will have leaders who will be able to revive their House in the Indoril's case, or mediate between the common people and the nobility in the Dres' case. Potentially, Dinara (formerly known as Dres Vendama), Queen of Morrowind and Helseth's wife, may be able to do just that.

I bear no bias to any House as I do see the treachery and faults of the Great House Hlaalu, but this is my view of the situation.

edit = for the moment just added the spaces between the paragraphs to make it a bit clearer to read.
More serious reading KK, I think you are our Lore Meister, though I am still looking for people who have the ES feel in their writing to add their touch to many of the works I have read here.

Your description of the Hlaalu as children is very apt - (beat me up but it is the way I think of the US by comparison with many European nations) - and is certainly an important element in any kind of creation. What makes it for me is when there is a partnership between the old and the new, because then you have truly rich achievement. :goodjob:
yea... tis true because US is still the big guy on the block... not always diplomatically savvy and more inclined to use force than talking it through (though US says it always wants to talk it through)...
but old European nations, they were more powerful before and still are influential and have learned their place and their strengths...
Indoril could be a bit like Great Britain... Redoran like Germany, having great continental army and production but not powerful enough to last as long in a war, though some of the best... Dres are a bit like France... powerful always but never THAT good to be dominant in war though in influence VERY powerful... and Telvanni... I dunno.... but Hlaalu are like US, only becoming powerful in recent centuries and Indoril (Britain) was their main enemy for a long time...

however keep in mind US didn't become a wordl power till after WWI and WWII when the US actually started a full-time army, increased diplomacy instead of isolation and huge production.... before we just cared about ourselves and not getting into war...
sorta liek the Hlaalu, they only got powerful from the Imperial invasions and Indoril's weakness and exploited this.... where before they on;y were powerful enough to keep others at bay...
Done with only minor alterations