Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Pauldrons?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
as promised to me, mmmpld has made pauldrons seperate from cuirasses for vanilla Oblivion... we can make serparate armor pieces! YEAH! :bananarock:

What do you think? Reading the description, I'd say it sounds like it may unbalance gameplay, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. Should it be used?
No. It uses the ring slot.
Quote:Originally posted by DarkAsmodeous
No. It uses the ring slot.

I know that, but it also recommends inceasing the number of wearable rings... If we could manage to get that number down to say... 4, would it still unbalance gameplay? Even if it lowers your armour rating when you do not wear pauldrons?
There is no four, there is 2 or infinite.
But could we mod it so that there are only four. I too, am a no, but as I say, I'd like to get some varied opinions and reasons. The ring slot is a very good reason, and here's a quote from Razorwing... so it looks already like a no.

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
The first rule of thumb is to not affect the player's experience outside our areas, for instance by changing the stats of an armor piece or forcing the player to eat regularly and so on. Because there's no sense in adding gameplay-changing content the player can get just as easily by downloading and installing another mod, and not adding it means we keep the options open for players.

The second rule of thumb is to only add material you plan to use. It's not so great to add ten swords if you only need one, because the next modder who wants a sword for his quest might want to find one on his own that's the coolest in his own personal taste. That's mostly only relevant for things already made by someone else or things we aren't sure will be used. So if "Joe" here on the forum models a workbench for exclusive use in our mod, sure we'll add it. If someone models hypha facia mushrooms Cool before a Bitter Coast area exists, sure we'll add it, because we're sure there will be Bitter Coast areas eventually.

Apart from that I think the floor is open for discussion. =)
I'm not sure, but I think my main query would be if the mod could be tweaked in such a way that it doesn't affect the armor in the standard game? For instance by offering the separate cuirass / left pauldron / right pauldron as separate armor pieces instead of replacing the normal cuirass.

If it can be a separate set, then I think it's great idea - for one, we'd get to mod cooler and more visually interesting enemies. Smile

But if it overrides the normal armor then I'm not so sure, because it might mean that the graphical representation of the player character would not display worn rings. For some players that might be a very bad thing.
From my understanding, it may be possible to have both a standard-non modded cuirass AND the pauldrons equipped at the same time, depending... I'm not sure how it works, but there are certain instances where you can have two objects equipped over the same part of the body. I remember in a mod I was testing, I had a helm and the gray cowl both equipped, because the helm didn't take one of the hair/face slots...
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
But if it overrides the normal armor then I'm not so sure, because it might mean that the graphical representation of the player character would not display worn rings. For some players that might be a very bad thing.

I agree, the reason I don't use the Infinite Rings&Amulets mod is because I so love to see the cool rings on the fingers of my char, and because it breaks immersion(only a gipsy wears 15 rings&30 amulets!)....
Okay, so... What do other people think? It might be useful for Elite Ordinators or as Razorwing said, to help keep a little visual variety for our characters. Now, I don't really see this as a problem affecting the game if we use this for our armour and our armour only, but it could be a little problematic to explain why you can't equip only part of the original cuirass while keeping the other piece which is of another style...
hmm, well what was morrowind's technique on having clothes wearable with armor and seperate pauldrons and split gauntlets? I would like to be able to be a cool pauldron-wearing mage in a robe. that was always a cool effect.
Pages: 1 2