Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Few tips for the CS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this while working on Silgrad City

1. CS loads square 5x5 cells, if you move the camera to the next cell - it loads next portion. Camera is always at the center of this square. But if you have object selected - the cell with this object will be the centre of the square, so if you want to move the square of view - deselect it.
5x5 is not enough for many cases, f.e. Silgrad is about 25x30 cells (80% inside walls), 5x5 won't show alot. In the directory where oblivion.ini is, you can find a file 'constructionset.ini'. Find the string 'uGridsToLoad=5'. It's the size of the square. Change it to better value. But be cautious: it's ok when you're modding city or isle which is almost empty. But if I switch to f.e. ReichParkeepREAL (i have ugrids=15) it starts to load/clone about 6000-7000 models each time. It's long process, be sure to change ugrids value to 5 if you want to look at cells with many objects.

2. Even with 5x5 square some small objects disappear(fade) quickly as you move the camera. Sometimes it's good, but as I'm modding the city I have to see how each building or object corresponds with the nearby buildings. Also I need to see the walls and some major objects. At CS open File->Preferences. Open 'LOD' tab. To the left you can see 3 LOD sliders, to the right - 3 FADE sliders. Make sure to maximise the three FADE sliders. This will make all objects seen. You can see the result on the first screenshot in my post:
Progress notes for Silgrad City.
Thanks for the info - especially point 2. :goodjob:
Neat, thanks for the tips!
awesome man. thanks for the advice. I hate fading objects, so thanks.

EDIT: I can't find the .ini's. where are they?
My Computer (desktop icon)\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\
gotcha. thanks greybeard