Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Martial Arts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I want to see how many people here do martials arts and maybe we can have a discussion...
I'm really really into martial arts, started this summer, I have had two months of experience in it kempo but my sensei told me it wasn't necessarily my style so I looked around and found Tae Kwon Do, my original preferrence, to my liking. Afterall I tend to use my feet a lot. My mother never let me do martial arts till now but even now she is still giving me a hrd time about it... like refusing to drive me to Tae Kwon Do.... ARGG!!!!
so let's discuss martial arts...
personally I fight using hands to strike and block but there isn't much else with that. However I use my feet A LOT and I hope to learn a lot of cool kicks in Tae Kwan Do. I tend to use stances to hide my intention and then when the time is right go all out and if that doesn't defeat the person I will either revert back to the neutral stances which are versatile in that they can be slipped right into offense or defense. OR I will execute a take down and grapple and do ground-fighting...

but that's me... how are you guys?
I do Tae-Kwon-Do aswell, I have to do 3 more gradings for Black belt, the 3rd one will be my Black belt grading. I wasn't sure how usefull the blocks were, until I realised I was using them in RL without even knowing it. I too have a fondness for MA. TKD was and is the first one I ever tried, and I love it. I got second place in the All Ireland sparring championship, that trophy stands proudly in my room.

I lost first place because the guy was almost twice my size, the ref offered to stop the fight several times but I didn't want to. He got me a good few times but then I landed a 4 punch combo to his head, he ended up winning because he got me more times though. The first round I won by just side-kicking the guy. I don't think he was prepared and he got hurt, I feel bad for doing that and I appologised to him afterwards.

I also got 3rd place in team patterns, with me being the team leader. The first match was won by default :lmao: because the opposing team decided not to show up :lmao: :lmao: .

MA is great fun, and I can't wait to get my Black belt. I thought I was going to grade this summer but TKD is postponed for all of August X( .

No worries, I will grade in Spetember then :banana: :bananarock: :banana:
see the weird thing is... I actually have more experience than I look cause I have no belts but I have been fighting with my sensei in kempo for awhile but i had been fighting in a more TKD style since that's what my dad did when he was little and so it rubbed off on me... so I have almost helf a year of on and off experience, but I don't know too many different moves, but I know how to fight and how to be creative...
...so good luck getting your black belt... I just want to be able to beat my teachers, that is my goal, if I can beat my masters I gotta be good
Thnk you, good luck to you too. For us sparring involves alot of physical contact, I remember about a month ago my sensei was demonstrating a sidekick to the younger students. He asked me to hold the pad. I was looking somewhere else and thinking about something else aswell, so when he did the kick I ended up flying back two feet. Apart from a bruised ego I didn't come off too bad.

I have been doing TKD for over 2 1/2 years now. But I have been having trouble lately attending all the classes, my mom got a new job and so has my dad. No one can take me but the bigger issue is that I have to mind my brother. He is too young to be left home by himself. In the past two months I have only attened 5 classes out of 16 Sad
ouch... my problem is my mom refuses to bring me and I cannot legally drive by myself yet...
yeah, I like physically contact... a lot of other arts have sparring that is very different where you only need to land the strike, it doesn't need to be effective or strong... but I guess that's okay for sparring... it's come to the point where sparring and fighting have become very different....

so anyone else?
I love TKD but I'd like to hear from others too
I was into it years ago. Ryukyu (Okinawan) Kempo made it up to Nikyu (Brown Belt) it was fun, but I didn't persue it any further and havent practiced in many years
Quote:Originally posted by bob196045
I was into it years ago. Ryukyu (Okinawan) Kempo made it up to Nikyu (Brown Belt) it was fun, but I didn't persue it any further and havent practiced in many years
oh man! that's too bad...
my friend told me about RyuKyu Kempo... one of the many Okinawa styles... surprising how Okinawa had SO many styles.. and then spread to the rest of Japan...
I took Isshinryu for 9 years, was very dedicated, but my dojo was becoming less traditional, so I eventualy made the choice to leave.
Quote:Originally posted by DarkAsmodeous
I took Isshinryu for 9 years, was very dedicated, but my dojo was becoming less traditional, so I eventualy made the choice to leave.
what do you mean traditional?

I see a lot of american martial arts schools nowadays where kids get a blackbelt in like 3 years and they can't do anything but score cheapshots and quick and weak strike sin sparing, and SOME have good form...

is that what you mean?
:yes: It started out very rigorous and difficult, he was critical of forum and had very difficult tests, we were required to know a lot about the style and we learned dosens of applications for evey kata and did realistic combat scenarios with our sparring 3 on one and the like, but there is more money in spoiled kids.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11