Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Dark's Photoshop Tips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here I will post all of the little tricks I have learned in photoshop to help people new to texturing make their own weapons.

1. A simple Marble or Sandstone

To begin with fill the area you want to have the new texture with your base color by selecting it and hitting ctrl delete, make it darker than the end result you want. Next we will use a filter, these are our primary tools in texturing. Go to Filter>render>clouds this filter causes cloudy waves of variable lightness. While this is nice, it is not our final product, we will now add more variance in the color by going to filter>Artistic>Sponge, mess with this untill it looks right. Now we need to set up our color by going to image>Adjustments>Hue/saturation Change these until it look right.
If you are making a stone go to Filter>Texture>grain and apply the Sandstone texture, if you want cracks go to Filter>Texture>Craquelure and make the spacing maximum, it will look a bit unatural so we will now go to filter>artistic> poster edges.

2. Do the previous tutorial first. This one will cover making wood. Begin with filling an are with the shade of brown you intend to use. Next apply a noise filter, we want monochromatic to keep it brown, and gausian to get some variance. From here we want those dots to become lines so we will go to filter>blur>motion blur with a low values until it looks about right, use a 180 degree angle. Next we will make those lines more distinct by applying the filter>artistic>Poster Edges. Now our wood looks a little to uniform so we will now add a wave filter. Our wood is still to orginized and it needs to be warped some. Go to Filter>liquify and use the twist tool to create some knots in the wood, at this point adjust the hue/saturation as always and play with some more filters.

Hope this first tut helps kick start some new textures! More to come!
Thanks for the tutorial DA, thanks a lot, but I also want to know how to do that nifskope thing you did, and how to place it in cells like you did, hehe. Big Grin
In NIFSkope, you just replace the Texture name and path with the one you want to replace it with, just open up all the + blocks and look for an icon that looks like a flower. Smile
Ok, I'll try that, thanks guys.
my tip:

-have several saves
-use lots of layers
-phototextures often work best.
Nice help DA. Thanks! :goodjob:
New one added!