Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Vvar - The Ash-storm Campaign
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Ash-storm Campaign
by Hasphat Antabolis

[blockquote]This tragic campaign had virtually no information before this book was published. All that was known is that it is the last campaign of the Legion in Morrowind. This campaign was supposed to secure Vvardenfell, but succeeded only in defeat though allowing colonization. At this time, the only major city on Vvardenfell was Vivec City, Sadrith Mora was but a private mushroom hold of Neloth's, Tel Fyr was unknown though existent, Tel Mora was but a growing fungus, and there were small Velothi villages of Khuul, Gnaar Mok, Ald Velothi, and Gnisis. Balmora was a quiet river valley at the time and Molag Mar was less busy. The year is year 414 of the 3rd Era, the Ghostfence has been keeping Dagoth Ur contained, and the rest of Morrowind conquered; the Duke of Morrowind has revoked certain parts of the Armistice to allow colonization of Vvardenfell, formerly a Temple District. This is where the Ash-storm Campaign begins. All information here is taken from the letters of Demicus Laetus to his wife. These events are partially confirmed through interviews with Ashkhan, most notably Erabenimsun Ashkhan Han-Ammu. [/blockquote]

9th Second Seed, Year 414 of the 3rd Era
Ra?athrim Ebonheart, Hlaalu District, Morrowind Province
With permission of Debent, Courier Capt.

Dear, I hope this letter reaches you in time. I know you said that joining the Legion was bad but to tell you the truth I feel it is better. Remember I used to be a serf, and the hard labor produced fewer septims than it warrants, but now I am justly paid for my works. You feared I would be sent to Black Marsh, the most dangerous province, but no, I was sent to Morrowind, only the second most dangerous. Well don?t worry love, I am being sent with the Deathshead Legion to a district called Vvardenfell. It is Dwarven for ?City-of-the-Strong-Shield? and maybe I can bring home some of those fancy machinery of the Dwarves for our little son. How old is Rudas? I?d say about seven years old now? I last saw him when he was five. Well don?t worry dear, the Deathshead Legion is the deadliest and strongest Legion of the ones in Morrowind, and in the Dark Elven lands, you need to be tough to survive. And of course, I have the Legion Orcs and Dunmer in front of me in the first two ranks. Hope to see you son after the Campaign. Oh, and it is Marukh's Day, not that we celebrate it anyhow, but I still remember bits of the calendar.

26th Mid-Year, Year 414 of the 3rd Era
Ebonheart, Vvardenfell District, Morrowind Province

You will be so disappointed. The Emperor has banned the trade of Dwemer goods. And yes the Dwarves are Dwemer, silly me. However I have some better news, we have made a landing on the peninsula near Vivec City, and we have begun constructing a hold and a port which we are naming Ebonheart. Actually it was the Commander?s idea but we had just left Ebonheart, a Ra?athrim city, three days ago. Anyhow, the Hawkmoth Legion has landed after us and will complete the construction. Dunmer are beginning to settle the area more also, and I thought I saw barbarian Elves running into the hills. Apparently we scared them. So you see, no worries!

2nd Sun?s Height, Year 414 of the 3rd Era
Ouda Odai, Vvardenfell District, Morrowind Province

The Courier captain is very vexed by my frequent letters but I will endure his jeering for your sake my love. I have just left the Ascadian Isles region and I am in this circular, rocky river valley. A few Hlaalu soldiers helped our Legion to drive off a few Tribal Dunmer. These ?Ashlanders? are very good fighters but usually outnumbered. They seem more guant and shorter, though broader than most Dunmer, perhaps it is due to their diet. You would be pleased to know I did not take part in any of the debauchery that took place when we found an Ashlander Camp farther up the road. The Tribe?s men were either out hunting or had been killed at the valley. They say the valley was once the site of a temporary palace of Vivec?s, one of the strange man-gods of Morrowind. At any rate this large river called the Odai is nothing compared to the Nibenay, though much more relaxing and safer. They say tomorrow we will go to the Gashlands. They say a giant Dreugh fought Vivec here, these native certainly have odd tales.

15th Last Seed, Year 414 of the 3rd Era
Gnisis, Vvardenfell District, Morrowind Province

I believe it is Loredas, and I have great news. Ladia love, I have reached a town called Gnisis! It is a quant little village with shell-like hunts around it. Already the Redoran are settling and have found a gigantic crab shell in the middle of the Ashlands to make their capitol around. Though the Hlaalu are kind to outlanders, they seem to sneak their way into the best land deals while Telvanni and Redoran get the worst lands to settle on; those Hlaalu are like those sneaky Commission clerks in other Provinces. So far there has been very little resistance. We drove several savages to the Samsi river basin. There they are living peacefully now and have not raided our camps for some time. A city is being built in the valley of Odai called Balmora, or the ?stone-forest?. I hear the Moonmoth Legion is going to make a fort nearby. As for Dwemer ruins my scouting party and I found smugglers looting one, they called the ruin Arkngthunch-Sturdumz, a strange name indeed. They were arrested and sent to Ebonheart. Well tomorrow we begin construction on the Fort Darius. We may be the deadliest Legion, but the Deathshead Legion is a funny bunch. Orcs from Orsinium, Dunmer from Shadowgate Pass, and Imperials from the Colovian, and me, you beloved husband from east Nibenay. Oh and make sure our son helps you with harvesting the crops on the plot. Tell him daddy?ll return with a mob of Orcs if he doesn?t do his chores.

30th Hearthfire, Year 414 of the 3rd Era
Ashlands, Vvardenfell District, Morrowind Province
With permission of Guls, Courier Capt.

We have a new courier manager now his name is Vendu Guls. Apparently he is glad to have the job as he gets to send couriers off. They are glad to leave. The Ashlands are like the Colovian highlands, except flatter, dryer, and the air is hard to breathe. We have been in tents for the second day now. One legionnaire, Debent, had gone outside to relieve himself and the ash-storm stripped him to the bones, which Nix-hounds carried away; that?s how Debent, our old courier captain died. Nix-hounds looks like four legged lobsters with a wolf?s gait and twice the appetite. A pack of them have been following us for days since we left Fort Darius. Me and others have been sent on a special mission into the Ashlands, we are spearheading the Ash-storm Campaign. Unfortunately, it seems instead of storming the Ashlands, the wastes and storming us with ash. The alarm has been rung, so I will rush this to Guls immediately; I hope it is not something as aggravating as a cliff-racer flock.

22nd Frostfall, Year 414 of the 3rd Era
Ashlands, Vvardenfell District, Morrowind Province

The Urshilaku ambushed us in the middle of the storm. They are a large tribe in the Ashlands and fierce fighters, but no match for us. However our scouts have reported a large group of Ashlanders gathering. Our last horse has died, they suffer from the ashlands and the odd plants, and are also considered a delicacy by Dark Elves. We are running out of water so we are heading towards the coast. I see a large fortress up ahead, the Dunmer call it Valenvaryon, they say wild Daedra-worshipping Orcs live here. If Stenar still refuses to help you with the crops, tell him daddy will be running home with crazy Malak Orcs chasing him. Well, enough with the jokes, the commander is calling me to the vanguard.

10th Sun?s Dusk, Year 414 of the 3rd Era
Zergonipal, Vvardenfell District, Morrowind Province

We fought off those Orcs, but a few of our own deserted the army. It is a sad thought that proud Orcish legionnaires should desert for their cultish kin but a few did. Anyhow you will not believe the news I have. Firstly, and the most peculiar, we found a mad Argonian in the wastes, he calls himself Big Head. The Argonian legionnaires (brought along because of their hatred towards Dunmer) shake their heads and says the Mad Gentleman has gotten him, he must be Sheogorath. The Argonian said he was headed towards and island with big Netch, flying jelly-fish creatures. When we tried to make him a scout, he fought us off with a spear, and he was quite skilled, none of us could get close. Later that day we stabled upon a Telvanni wizard, he was going to a place called Shara. As soon as we neared him, he started shooting fireballs. Our Battlemages quickly tried to subdue him but he jumped into the water and swam northwards. And now just before we had made camp near a Daedric Shrine called Zergonipal, several hundred Ashlanders charged at us from the hills. I have to admit I was a bit scared, but our commander was very confident. He had the Argonian and Khajiit group on one flank, the Nord and Orc group on another, and Dunmer and Cyrodills in the center. As the Ashlanders charged into us, the wings went in and we trapped the Ashlanders. I believe only a hundred or so escaped. The place smells of death but the commander says it is the smell of victory, I agree, but I wish victory smelt better.

4th Evening Star, Year 414 of the 3rd Era
Valley of the Winds, Vvardenfell District, Morrowind Province
With Permission of Guls, Courier Capt.

We have only lost ten legionnaires before today, but at midday we were ambushed. While descending into the valley, Ashlanders appeared on all sides on the hilltops and began shooting arrows and magicks. Our Argonian division was in a fury and charged uphill to get at the Dark Elves. We lost discipline and a lot of us ran down through the valley with our shields raised. I am lucky to be alive, but it is all thanks to the Argonians. They unintentionally bought us time by charging into the Ashlanders and getting massacred. We reached this strange metal door with moon and star symbols. Many of the Dunmer legionnaires began bowing and praying, apparently the Nine Divines Faith isn?t taking hold. Anyways, we survived because one of our archers shot down the Ahemmusa Ashkhan. He must?ve been an important chief because once he died all the Ashlanders retreated. The cliff-racers have begun eating the corpses before we could bury them. It is amzing how much life is here. As soon as cliff-racers came, Nix-hounds began appearing, and driving off the Racers. As soon as Nixes came Kagouti and Alits, fat reptilians, began driving them off, and lastly come the trusty guar, of which we have a few to carry supplies, which are dwindling.

1st Morning Star, Year 415 of the 3rd Era
Grazelands, Vvardenfell District, Morrowind Province

We have reached the Grazelands and a large group of Ashlanders attacked. From we have heard, even the mercantile Zainab joined the battle. We were soon driven to the shore, but we fought them off. An Imperial ship came to bring us supplies and troops after a week. And We have begun construction of a large fortress, made tall and unconventional, with no barracks on the ground but three main towers, ingeniously built to prevent ashlanders from successfully raiding us. Additionally we have doubled our numbers now, which brings us back to our number before we had set out.

30th Sun?s Dawn, Year 415 of the 3rd Era

The Telvanni have discovered us and a robed figure with two silver gloves led their attack. Their warband camped within the courtyard of our fortress and shot arrows at us with shocking accuracy every time we tried to come out and attack them. Then one day a giant mushroom began growing. The commander sallied forth but some of the Legion was trapped inside the main tower. We made it south to a region called Molag Amur. Ashlanders attack us almost daily and we almost lost our supplies when they tricked us into an ashmire. A lot of the men want to be couriers now just so they can escape. The Erabenimsun appear to be spearheading the attacks. Once they even led us to a cavern then disappeared, within were corprus monsters that attacked us thinking we were after them. I must admit these Ashlanders are clever and can fight well their own way.

23rd First Seed, Year 415 of the 3rd Era

We had chased the Erabenimsun to a place called Bal Ur. It is a Daedric Shrine to Molag Bal and a very strong fort. The Ashlanders have even summoned Daedra to aid them in the siege. Then they had all their Daedra sally forth and then snuck down to the river. Soon we ended up besieging Daedra and they encamped at Lake Nabia behind a mountain out of our sight. And later when we realized they were gone, and rushing into Ouda Nabia, we found the river was but a small stream; the Ashlanders had dammed the river. We then split into two groups, one to charge at the Ashlanders, one to go to Pelagiad to get reinforcements. I was sent in the small group to get reinforcements, and watched as the Ashlanders broke the dam and washed away most of the Imperials, and the survivors were cut down and mutilated.

4th Rain?s Hand, Year 415 of the 3rd Era

I am going to return home. I feel so empty. All those legionnaires dead, I should?ve been there. We ran, died, bled, cried, and killed together, and they just died so quickly against an enemy we should?ve beaten. The Legion should be the strongest military force. Somehow there was always a mountain, always an ash-storm, always a flock of cliff-racers to get in our way! Well I will return home now.

[/hr]
Apparently Demicus returned a sorrowful man. Then fifteen years later he left again for Morrowind after his wife died and his son moved to the Imperial City. He went to Vvardenfell. He traveled to the Erabenimsun Camp. Han-Ammu said that he was tortured personally by Ulath-Pal. He was then raped and released in the wild. He made it all the way to Molag Mar but died there, a broken man.
W:eek:W.....

Great story. You are THE literature expert on these forums. Great Job! :goodjob:
Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
W:eek:W.....

Great story. You are THE literature expert on these forums. Great Job! :goodjob:
and I thought I was mediocre at english. :] thanks :bow:

EDIT:
not so much I am the expert, more that I am one of the few who DOES put literature up here Confusedhrug:
Well, you do make really awesome books in all of their awesomeness. bad part is it will spoil the stories when I read them in oblivion. And you have great English, don't put yourself down.
Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
Well, you do make really awesome books in all of their awesomeness. bad part is it will spoil the stories when I read them in oblivion. And you have great English, don't put yourself down.
spoilers, the price you must pay when making mods, yeah thanks :yes:
Moved to the archive until such a time as Vvardenfell is revived at Silgrad Tower