Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Webmasters' Corner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[1st]T[/1st]his is what I need help with. If you want to help, great, if not, that's okay too. Just don't complain about it, because I don't expect anything ;o)

[title]1. Credit info needed.[/title]
I need a screenshot from within the group of an NPC from the Zombie race. There's a screenshot in this thread but as we didn't create it, we shouldn't use it. Besides, we don't have crowns in the mod so that would give the wrong impression, I think.

I need the Zombie screenshot because I'm writing a credit page on its creator, UserExists, which hasn't been credited before. He's a bit of a mystery to the community. He might have been a modder from another game who tried out Morrowind, converted his skellie and released it, then got tired of the game... who knows? Still, it's good to have our papers in order and I want him credited.

Also, any information you can provide on the blank entries in the Credits are valuable. If you worked on Silgrad Tower: Morrowind and used components from other modders, I'm sure you can provide info on them? They deserve an information page, I think. It's also a great way to showcase to people what they can expect when downloading the current mod.

[title]2. Books of Old.[/title]
There's a lot of books in our mod. Many of them were produced by our group, many were not, and telling them apart can be hard. I hero-worshipped Pompadour Slim for a while before I found out that as good as all the books with his abbreviation were from Daggerfall... not that it's his fault, I'm just saying, identifying what is taken from the outside can be hard.

The Books of Old is a waystation for books created by our group. By having them on the site we have easy access to them and spotting spelling mistakes and other niggles is much easier. It's also a convenient place to edit the books in other ways in preparation for Oblivion. Not to forget, it also means our works are searchable by Google and thus can attract people here. And, it's a good place to post new works for feedback and review. Most members who have access to the Content Manager can post new works and certain CMS admins can correct spelling mistakes and similar if they are brough to our attention.

I need help comparing the Book tab of our mod with the Books of Old lyrics section. I'm reasonably sure everything in the lyrics section is now our own works, after I cleaned out a dozen Daggerfall books. Those books are always at the Imperial Library if people want to read them, there's no point in duplicating them on the website (in the mod, they make perfect sense). [big]But.[/big] Are there more books in the mod which should be copied to the website? Generally I have omitted books which either only consists of one or a couple of sentences, or are heavily tied to quests. I think the latter works should be featured in recurring quest drafts if someone wants to bring back a quest.

[title]3. Who's who of Silgrad Tower[/title]
I need suitable screenshots of NPCs (who aren't in our mod) to function as placeholders for these NPC entries.

? Grathras Vort
? Richeard Bleau is in the mod actually, and the name came from one of the few Silgrad Guardians who were named at all. If you could arrange a screenshot with a Breton male NPC clad in Silgrad Guardian armor - but no helmet, preferrably - that would be wonderful, and would make that page much more interesting.
? Duke Oram Hlaalo - any Hlaalu-looking, wealthy noble Dunmer male would be excellent for this entry.
? Rina - A picture of a female Redguard would be great.

These do exist in the mod, so if anyone could hunt them down and photograph them, that'd be great. An editor-shot would do well.
? [strike]Kashi Mantas; she lives on a Redoran manor northeast of Silgrad in Silgrad Tower: Morrowind.[/strike]
UPDATED - Thanks to The Nerevarine for helping me with this!

? [strike]Thellva Hothara, the master at the Temple of Silgrad. She's found in the Office and has her daughter with her. Note that her name in the mod, and the name on the NPC entry on the site, are different. She's called Hothara in the mod. You can't miss her, I think the little girl follows her everywhere around that room Wink[/strike]
UPDATED - Thanks to The Nerevarine for helping me with this!

Also, any input on the entries that are there are gladly accepted.

[title]4. More location pitches and drafts.[/title]
If you've created a special location for Silgrad Tower: Morrowind, or if you love and know a particular place like the palm of your hand, please write a descriptive article about it and post it in the "Lyrics - Location pitches" (if you're able to), or in a new thread on the forum. Crossroads, G'Aedra, Aedryn mine, et cetera... any location would be really great. This will have several positive side-effects.

4a) It shows up on Google > a person becomes interested > reads more works > joins the forum > starts working with us in november on the oblivion mod > we grow more powerful as a group

4b) Newcomers have a chance to get acquainted with the location. It might work as an incentive to explore Silgrad Tower: Morrowind, or build their enthusiasm for what they want to mod for in Silgrad Tower: Oblivion.

4c) All modders are able to read up-to-date, coherent information without having to sift through a mountain of old forum threads.

4d) I would love to read them Wink

[title]5. Add things to make the site more interesting.[/title]
If you want to
- submit character descriptions to Who's who
- write any kind of works for the Books of Old section
- review stuff you've written and are in the Books of Old
- write reviews of ST quests, how fun they were, did they surprise you, were they challenging at your PC's level, did you notice anything you'd like to suggest we improve?
- write any kind of quest draft, whether updating an old or creating a new
- write guides to the Construction Set or anything at all
- in short... produce content that makes the webiste more entertaining and fresh... then...
[Image: icon16.gif] and [Image: 47.gif] and a bit of :banana:

[title]6. 3ds prep work for Oblivion.[/title]
If you find a great thingie (or know of one) for Morrowind that you'd like to see Silgrad Tower use in Oblivion, I'd like to ask that you consider asking their creator for permission for us to convert them to 3DS models and upload them to the 3DS Library in the database. Things that are uploaded there are automatically useable by Silgrad Tower. As I see it, there are several benefits to doing this now;
- the Morrowind mod that has the thingie might get deleted from the net, and never be retrievable again
- by asking now, we save time by not having to ask when all of us are holed up in our dens frantically staring at The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in all its glory. So it's effective time-management.
- we save time by not having to search for the stuff, discuss if it should be included, etc once we have our sweaty little hands on the box
- and we have a handy first batch of fun stuff to include - stuff we ourselves want to include in our mods, mind you.
- with the meshes at our disposal we might find that we can change and improve the textures the meshes use. A member sees a good mesh with a bad texture, downloads and checks it out, then submits a new texture -- for example.

Particularly we simply must have new, community-made Hlaalu and Redoran architecture [~houses] as we a) have decided to rebuild Silgrad and Reich Parkeep in Dunmer style and b) won't be allowed to re-use Bethesda's stuff. And you don't want to get at the wrong end of a big company on copyright issues. So, hunting for those is essential if we want to go through with that idea. Git to work :lmao:
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
I need suitable screenshots of NPCs (who aren't in our mod) to function as placeholders for these NPC entries.
[...]
These do exist in the mod, so if anyone could hunt them down and photograph them, that'd be great. An editor-shot would do well.
- Kashi Mantas; she lives on a Redoran manor northeast of Silgrad in Silgrad Tower: Morrowind.
- Thellva Hothara, the master at the Temple of Silgrad. She's found in the Office and has her daughter with her. Note that her name in the mod, and the name on the NPC entry on the site, are different. She's called Hothara in the mod. You can't miss her, I think the little girl follows her everywhere around that room Wink
They are contained in this small zip (1,8 MB)

Greetings
TN
Quote:Originally posted by The Nerevarine
[...]
- Kashi Mantas; she lives on a Redoran manor northeast of Silgrad in Silgrad Tower: Morrowind.
- Thellva Hothara, the master at the Temple of Silgrad. She's found in the Office and has her daughter with her. Note that her name in the mod, and the name on the NPC entry on the site, are different. She's called Hothara in the mod. You can't miss her, I think the little girl follows her everywhere around that room Wink
They are contained in this small zip (1,8 MB)

Greetings
TN

Thankyou so much !! Big Grin

[...]
Richeard Bleau is in the mod actually, and the name came from one of the few Silgrad Guardians who were named at all. If you could arrange a screenshot with a Breton male NPC clad in Silgrad Guardian armor - but no helmet, preferrably - that would be wonderful, and would make that page much more interesting.

Richeard Bleau was disturbed by voices from the gate that leads to the corridor adjacant to his office.
"I can't let you in there, the lieutenant gave order not to be disturbed." he heard his old sergeant say.
"I have to see him, it's a matter of high importance to one of the creators of this world." responds an unknown voice.
"You know, I have tried to say this kindly, but he has surely no time for some religious weirdo."
"Open that gate, or I will do it myself!"
"Ha! Let me see you pray this gate open," the sergeant sarcasicly challanged the stranger.

Bleau sights, not only that it is much work to get control over the normal minor crimes, there is this investigation on the 6th house cult that has somehow infested the city, Councillor Valen got beaten up by Councillor Kashi Mantas in the middle of the council and rumor has it that the Nerevarine walks trough the streets of Silgrad. No wonder that some relegious wackos crawl out from under the carpet and his guards have to handle them.

A fine clicking was heard from the corridor and after a moment the now somhow stressed voice of the sergeant "You ... you ... How can you dare to pick that lock open in front of the elite guards. In front of me!"
"Calm down, what was the refund for lockpicking again? 5 gold right? Here you have." the stranger replied.
"Guards! take this rascal and trow him out of town." The Seargeant oviously had reached the border of his patience.

Then there was the fine sound of magic and a little bit later Bleau heard steps nearing his office. As he saw his doorguard staring straight along the corridor and preparing for a fight he also laid his hand on his swordhilt. What had that stranger done to a room full of his finest guardians?

A tall person in a shimmering robe reached his open door. With a friendly smile on his face, fully ignoring the mod the doorguard is in, he asks her "Hello beauty, I'm looking for Richeard Bleau, can you direct me to him?".
Bleau, preventing a escalation of the situation, hurried to say "I'm Richeard Bleau. What have you done to my men?"
"Don't fear for your men, I just put them to a more peaceful and friendly mood. They are fine. You are sure that you are Richeard Bleau? I expected a Breton, not a Dunmer? You also wear no helmet."
"They give bad helmet hair, I never wear them. Who are you and what do you want?"
"I'm the Nerevarine and on a quest to take a portrait of you with this ikonograph here." He shows a wooden chest with a hole on the front side towards Bleau.
"You are the Nerevarine?" Bleau got a vertigo feeling as he thougt what could had happened to his guardians in the barracks if that man would have been in a slightly less good mod as they tried to deny him access. "And you did all that just to take a picture?"
"Yes, it won't take long. Those gnomes are very fast painters."
"Gnomes?"

A voice uttered from the wooden chest: "I'm done with him. I also tried to conceal his confused looking face. Here it is."

As Bleau regained consciousness and rose from the floor of his office, he soon became convinced that he had a bad dream, he surely worked too hard and too long those last days. He decided to take a break today to go fishing at the river and relax a bit. But as he came to the gate to the corridor, he saw his men repairing the lock.
Quote:Originally posted by The Nerevarine

[...]
Richeard Bleau is in the mod actually, and the name came from one of the few Silgrad Guardians who were named at all. If you could arrange a screenshot with a Breton male NPC clad in Silgrad Guardian armor - but no helmet, preferrably - that would be wonderful, and would make that page much more interesting.

Richeard Bleau was disturbed by voices from the gate that leads to the corridor adjacant to his office.
"I can't let you in there, the lieutenant gave order not to be disturbed." he heard his old sergeant say.
"I have to see him, it's a matter of high importance to one of the creators of this world." responds an unknown voice.
"You know, I have tried to say this kindly, but he has surely no time for some religious weirdo."
"Open that gate, or I will do it myself!"
"Ha! Let me see you pry this gate open," the sergeant sarcasicly challanged the stranger.

[...]

Wonderful, GREAT story! :applause:
A very entertaining read Smile

I took the liberty of correcting some minor spelling errors (nothing major) by editing your post. Capitalizing some of the " i " and such. I'm not sure myself how to spell "Seargant", I noticed you used two versions.
Edit: The US Army spells it Sergeant.
Because I figured it would be terrific if your story could make it into the Lyrics section somehow. We would just need to figure out how to catalogue it, in that case. If you don't want to, that's totally fine, I just thought it'd be a shame to let such a good and original story slip by the Lyrics. Smile

Yes I think Richeard Bleau might be a Dunmer in the current mod, but that name is horribly misplaced on a Dunmer ( things like that tend to bug the h*ll out of me Wink ) So when I thought about having a representative from the Silgrad Guardians on the Council of Elders I figured the name was more important to keep than the race of the NPC who bore it in Silgrad Tower: Morrowind. But if you'd like, and want to, and want to have Richeard Bleau as a Dunmer, you are most welcome to rewrite that whole character from the ground up (and picking a new name). Preferrably making the new description fit with the events in "The Battle for Silgrad Tower" (the revised version in the Lyrics, not the old one in the plugin), but that shouldn't be impossible. You're a talented writer with a good sense of humour and I think it would turn out great if you chose to "adopt" that character Big Grin

Wonderful, GREAT story! :applause:
A very entertaining read Smile
Thank you for the flowers Smile

I'm not sure myself how to spell "Seargant", I noticed you used two versions.
According to a german-english online dictionary: sergeant

Because I figured it would be terrific if your story could make it into the Lyrics section somehow. We would just need to figure out how to catalogue it, in that case. If you don't want to, that's totally fine, I just thought it'd be a shame to let such a good and original story slip by the Lyrics. Smile
It was intended as a humorfull approch to give you a screenshot of Bleau. I never thougt about the lyrics, but if you think it is good enough to be kept there, feel free to do as you please.

Yes I think Richeard Bleau might be a Dunmer in the current mod, but that name is horribly misplaced on a Dunmer ( things like that tend to bug the h*ll out of me Wink ) So when I thought about having a representative from the Silgrad Guardians on the Council of Elders I figured the name was more important to keep than the race of the NPC who bore it in Silgrad Tower: Morrowind. But if you'd like, and want to, and want to have Richeard Bleau as a Dunmer, you are most welcome to rewrite that whole character from the ground up (and picking a new name). Preferrably making the new description fit with the events in "The Battle for Silgrad Tower" (the revised version in the Lyrics, not the old one in the mod), but that shouldn't be impossible.

By all means, i did not intend to influence the story of silgrad tower. It's just that RB is actually a dunmer not a Breton. That was the message, not that he should be better be kept a dunmer. Also i'm sad to have to tell you, that i must refuse the offer to adopt that character.

You're a talented writer with a good sense of humour and I think it would turn out great if you chose to "adopt" that character Big Grin

No i'm not a good writer, but sometimes it just overcomes me. I'm more technically oriantated than toward art.

Greetings
TN

EDIT: "pray the gate open" was intended, the sergeant alludes that he holds the stranger for some relegious idiot because of that "matter of high importance to one of the creators of this world"
@ The Nerevarine: I can be erratic sometimes and the truth of the matter is, after reading a few paragraphs I interpreted your text as a story surrounding Richeard Bleau and felt I wanted to include it in the Lyrics in some form or another. So I figured I'd read it and correct minor spelling errors at the same time, in two different browser windows. By the time I got to the last part, it dawned on me that it was a humorous story probably not intended for the Lyrics, but by then I had finished spellchecking it. So, that's how it was.

Yeah English is a very counter-intuitive language because it lends from so many different sources. The written language feels like a cross between latin and french, or so I think.

I figured if you were enthusiastic enough about the NPC to write a story, you'd like to adopt and mold him as well, but if not that's totally fine of course.

I don't think Richeard Bleau had any important role to play in ST:M, as I mentioned somewhere he was one of the few Guardians to have a name at all.

Quote:EDIT: "pray the gate open" was intended, the sergeant alludes that he holds the stranger for some relegious idiot because of that "matter of high importance to one of the creators of this world"

Oops, sorry. I thought you meant "pry" (as in prying a lock)
I've done a slight update to the website, as you might have noticed, going on a revised design Valderon created. The Faq and Lyrics should hopefully be a bit clearer now, and I'm looking forward to spending time on the map section. I've been unhappy with that section for a long time, so the updated map (courtesy of Quentin) would bring a good opportunity to fix two things in one go.

The new Join page is up, and I'm going to get to work on a new Claims section now.

Please check out the new Search function, which is now linked both from the website and the forum. It searches both the website, old and new forum, and might even search our hosted sites. I should have added that google search ages ago, but never got around to it until now.
Why are the hosted sites linked on the bottom instead of below the Afilliates? Also, they aren't centered correctly on my browser. They are slightly off to the left, as if there is an extra cell in the table used. It is weird.
I like the design a lot more though.
Quote:Originally posted by noremorse
Why are the hosted sites linked on the bottom instead of below the Afilliates? Also, they aren't centered correctly on my browser. They are slightly off to the left, as if there is an extra cell in the table used. It is weird.
I like the design a lot more though.

Because there's more space and more room to grow down there instead of in the left sidebar. I was constantly worried that the next banner button would break the height of the iframe, meaning I'd have to do an update; at the same time, making the iframe to high would cause the pages to become unnecessarily high.

It looks the way I intended it to look :]
I might revise it later on.