Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Computer is in the shop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
About one and a half week ago my computer started breaking down. The fan on my cpu started to hum loudly, and as the days passed it worsened to something akin to the noise of a motorcycle. It wouldn't have bothered me except for the fact that if the fan was to break completely, my cpu would get fried within a few minutes. So, it's in the shop now. I hope to have it back within three weeks, but that's mostly a guess since I haven't been given an estimate by the vendor yet.

I don't see it as a total catastrophy though, because I still have my old computer, and I'm just as able to model on it as I was on my new one. So, funnily enough I don't see it as much of a setback since I would probably have modelled most of that time anyway, but it does mean I can't do anything directly related to the mod since I can't run Oblivion on it.

I've talked to sandor about the situation and much to my relief he was ok with taking over the reigns as mayor of Reich Parkeep during my dry spell. Thanks sandor! =)
:bananarock: sandor we are grateful to you...
Tough news rw - the one I was using for memory got flooded and everything fried = so I guess you got 'lucky'. Though I don't understand why you guys have a shop do simple parts replacement...

Or are fans so big and powerful now that you need heavy engineering equipment? Wink
Quote:Originally posted by raggidman
Tough news rw - the one I was using for memory got flooded and everything fried = so I guess you got 'lucky'. Though I don't understand why you guys have a shop do simple parts replacement...

Or are fans so big and powerful now that you need heavy engineering equipment? Wink

Yeah right. One false move and *krsdkr* one 800-dollar card down the drain. I don't have that kind of money lying around to entertain myself by trying to do something I have no idea of how to do, especially not when it's the shop's responsibility to fix it due to the warranty. But that's just me being silly, I mean, knocking the fan off with a hammer and replacing it with a table-top fan and some spit and polish and it'd be as good as new, right? Tongue
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Quote:Originally posted by raggidman

Yeah right. One false move and *krsdkr* one 800-dollar card down the drain. I don't have that kind of money lying around to entertain myself by trying to do something I have no idea of how to do, especially not when it's the shop's responsibility to fix it due to the warranty. But that's just me being silly, I mean, knocking the fan off with a hammer and replacing it with a table-top fan and some spit and polish and it'd be as good as new, right? Tongue
exactly! I usually just kick the computer and it starts getting better... it's like a puppy... if it acts up, beat it and it gets behaving fast
One of my fans (lol) is making this awful noise for about a year now, but nothing broke down yet, besides, if something breaks down, it's a good excuse to buy something new Wink
it usually has to do with dust getting in your system and clogging up theholes that allow air in so the vacuum can push it out. Try cleaning those.
If you were directing that at me: I do that every 2 weeks Wink
Cuthalion: I guess mine was worse then, because I kept thinking it was going to burst into flames any minute. Big Grin Imagine writing a lengthy forum post, pondering different matters and concerns and trying to phrase your opinion and suddenly BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR it starts going off like a friggin chain saw.

Nah, I got a two-year warranty on it when I bought it and I intend to make use of that warranty. I'd rather be without it for a few weeks and get it back better than before, especially since I can make do on my old comp in the meantime.

IAMTHEEMPEROR: Thanks for the tip. I do believe that was exactly what caused it, because when I opened up the case (at the shop's advice) there was a fistful of dust bunnies in there and a thick sheet of dust on every blade of the malfunctioning fan. :bash: The weight of the dust over time must have caused the blades to become misaligned. I removed it but it didn't help, the damage was already done, so I got in touch with the shop again and it was agreed I should send it in.

I admit, I never gave the dust problem a second thought ever since I got the comp and that was the first time I opened up the case. Well, that's a lesson learned, I guess. I should probably buy one of those special mini-vacuum cleaners and sweep the case every other month or so.
@Razorwing: Everybody who comes in my room says "WTF? Is that your COMPUTER?", if I leave my computer on when I want to sleep, the noise keeps me awake, when I stand downstairs with my computer on I can hear it buzzing. My dad looked at it a while ago, and he said there's nothing he can do since he doesn't know which one of the fans is doing it, but he thinks it's my motherboard....
Pages: 1 2