Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: The Dante Club
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I just finished reading The Dante Club and I must say it's a brilliant novel. I suggest reading Dante's Inferno prior to reading this as it will give you alot more insight on some things in the novel and just a better overal understanding of not only The Inferno, but of Dante as a person and his motives behind writing it. (namely his exile from Florence and his experiences as a soldier) The book is a murder mystery at heart but it is very accurate to post Civil War Boston. Here's the summary from the back of the book.

"Boston, 1865. A series of murders, all of them inspired by scenes in Dante's Inferno. Only an elite group of America's first Dante scholars --Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Russell Lowell, and J. T. Fields -- can solved the mystery. With the police baffled, more lives endangered, and Dante's literary future at stake, the Dante Club must shed its sheltered literary existence and find the killer."

The author is Matthew Pearl and he also has another book out that I will be picking up called The Poe's Shaddow. Hope some of you will check it out as its the best book I've read all year.
Ooo... sounds interesting! :yes: I've read Dante's Inferno, and I'll try to find this one, but with all the books I have to read for school this year (almost two books a week) I don't know if I'll even have the time to ready something of my choice.
Yea I can understand the whole school reading thing. (remembers AP classes in high school and shudders) I'd say just pick yourself up a copy and read it when ya get a chance to.