Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Makeshift Glass Sword (WIP)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Image: makeshiftglass_1.jpg]
I haven't touched 3ds max since I joined the team.. until now. I started work on this, I haven't done much yet on it. I'm going to get rid of the faceting on the non-spike parts of the handle, which I will have made out of wood. I've never made a sword like this before in my life, and I used some different methods to model it. I used Teddy to make the base models, you can use it to draw models. I drew the handle and blade, then cut and extruded bits. I could have done that in 3ds max, but this was fun, too. (You can download teddy here)
Anyway, back to the model description.
Don't know if the mineral used to make glass weapons is in Elsweyr, but maybe I'm just looking too much into this.
I plan on making the glass texture scratched, dirty, ect.
I have no idea if any of you will like this, but I'll still post it. I'll update the post as I update the model.

Any comments, suggestions?
I for one think it looks pretty cool - I wouldn't want to cross someone wielding it, that's for sure.
Well, Glass is already in Vanilla OB, but I'd love to see something a little better. =) More variety always helps. :yes:
It's funny that you mention Teddy because just yesterday I saw a demonstration video of it and it completely blew my mind. It has to be the most intuitive modeling interface I've ever seen. Sure it's still in its infancy and is quite limited but the concepts are amazing to say the least. Thanks for the link I'll be playing around with that today :yes: I have a feeling that I'll just stick with Maya because I love that program, but Teddy seems like it would be fun to mess around with. Anyways, back on topic. The sword looks interesting...looking foward to seeing how it turns out.
I finally textured it. I usually love uvw mapping, but this time it was difficult.

[Image: textured_glass_sword.jpg]

It's not scaled or anything yet, once I do have it scaled, i'll release it with the nif, a .3ds and the textures. So whoever wants to reskin it or edit the mesh, you can do that. Just remember to credit me if you do edit it :p
The blade and handle seem to not quite fit together.
You have to remember this wasn't supposed to look like it was made by expert bladecrafter, it's meant to look like a "made with the resources we have" kinda sword. Should I add some kind of wrapping to the handle, though?
Well, seeing as glass is weaponry requiring expert craftmanship, the handle could use a little work.

It looks great though, and once there is some re-scaling to a couple of parts it should loof fantastic.
What about the handle would you like changed?

Also, I added to the texture and put in a small (small enough that you could just avoid it if you don't want it in the texture, but big enough for a clear texture if it is used)

I, personally, don't think it looks as good with the leather texture.

Also, I made a quick little dagger.
[Image: swordandshiv.jpg]
Everything looks good up until right where the handle meets the blade, you can realy see the modeling geometry there.

Also, the leather idea is great, but lets see if we can't get a real leather texture instead of a solid color.

I love the blade part.
Pages: 1 2 3