Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: db_fern_stem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been racking my brain for hours trying to figure out why I can't get models to show up textured in Morrowind this time around. I didn't have any problems last year (the silk fabric evidence) but, then again, that time I used Bethesda's texture. The mesh itself shows up in Morrowind just like it's supposed to, just untextured. In 3D Studio Max, everything looks fine.

I included the .max source if anyone wants to check it out. The .max model draws the texture from "C:\Program\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files\Textures\", as does the NIF.

If it pans out I'm thinking of continue working on the model and perhaps making a stem for Lady Eternity's ferns, which have a tendency to float slightly above the ground, and putting a stem under them would solve that graphical bug I think.

Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong?
Unfortunately I don't know enough about modelling myself to check out what went wrong, but maybe a quick look here might bring more insight:

http://66.106.110.151/Morrowind/Thanos_T...x_skin.pdf

You will probably make more out of it than I do.

Greetings

Quentin
Thanks Quentin!

Man, texturing for Morrowind is hard! Big Grin
I'm getting dizzy just reading it. But that tutorial is a good source for further experiments I think, so I have my work cut out for me Big Grin
You're welcome.

BTW you can find that tutorial - and many more - at ThanosTower

Hope that will help.

Greetings

Quentin
I got as far as the photoshop excersizes, those didn't make much sense to me, but I'll pick it up later (tomorrow perhaps) and check other tuts. It's good to read tuts from several authots on the same process I think, they all have their piece of the puzzle. LadyE seemed to overestimate her readers' knowledge of Photoshop and creating textures.

Hmm... maybe it's because I used a power of 2 when making my texture 200x200, when I rather should have used a power of 64? I noticed most textures use that... 128x128, 256x256 etc.

I hope Oblivion will be more lenient Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
[...]Hmm... maybe it's because I used a power of 2 when making my texture 200x200, when I rather should have used a power of 64? I noticed most textures use that... 128x128, 256x256 etc.

I hope Oblivion will be more lenient Wink

[smartmouth mode]Aah ... there we have the problem. 200x200 is not a power of two (it's 2x2x2x5x5) ... but 64, 128, 256 and so on are and as far as I understood all textures for .nif files require measures in the power of two (tapestries for example are 256x512) otherwise they won't show up.[/smartmouth mode]

But it's easy to lecture now since I completely forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Greetings

Quentin
@ Quentin: Aah, the mystery is solved :] It was a language prob, I thought she meant divisible by 2, not the square-root-related way of calculating. I'll make a 256x256 texture for it, then, and I hope it'll work then.

Actually I think it's great that you know so much about textures. A successful team needs different specializations I think, so feel free to 'lecture' me anytime - I'm grateful you for it Smile
I made this Tongue

It was definetely a texture problem, as this mesh displays as it should in Morrowind. There are some texture problems, as seen in screenshot 2, but those can be hidden underground.
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
I made this Tongue

It was definetely a texture problem, as this mesh displays as it should in Morrowind. There are some texture problems, as seen in screenshot 2, but those can be hidden underground.
just make sure your textures are any of these:
pixels.
then it should work like a charm :banana: :banana: