Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Nir=The Night Mother?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This thread requires slight knowledge of The Elder Scrolls Lore, with godly dimensions and such, so I suggest you read this before you actually reply to the thread.

Well, I've been brushing up on the History of the Voids and such, when I noticed a strange coincidence.

Sithis/Padomay the sibling of Anu, had once loved the godess Nir, untill Padomay had gotten angry and had killed Nir, later destroying Nir's 12 worlds, or 'children' that she had given birth to.

It is said that the Night Mother sacrificed herself and her children to Sithis many years ago, which leads to one question; Is it just a mere coincidence, or is the Night Mother really the sacred goddess Nir?
Too.... many.... names. Big Grin

btw. welcome to Silgrad Tower. :goodjob:
I belaeve the raven is free of tes topics, but that is a strang finding. anywho welcom.
Quote:Originally posted by Nerevarine_#5,000
This thread requires slight knowledge of The Elder Scrolls Lore, with godly dimensions and such, so I suggest you read this before you actually reply to the thread.

Well, I've been brushing up on the History of the Voids and such, when I noticed a strange coincidence.

Sithis/Padomay the sibling of Anu, had once loved the godess Nir, untill Padomay had gotten angry and had killed Nir, later destroying Nir's 12 worlds, or 'children' that she had given birth to.

It is said that the Night Mother sacrificed herself and her children to Sithis many years ago, which leads to one question; Is it just a mere coincidence, or is the Night Mother really the sacred goddess Nir?

Does that mean that the Night Mother is dead? Nocturne is dead? 'Course, this is the realm of Oblivion we're talking about, so that may not mean much in Mundas.
Yes, but the Night Mother is now a immortal spirit/ghost, and in my opinion, I think the Night Mother is the Daedric equivalent of Nir as Sithis is the Daedric equivalent to Padomay.
Quote:Originally posted by Nerevarine_#5,000
Yes, but the Night Mother is now a immortal spirit/ghost, and in my opinion, the Night Mother is the Daedric equivalent of Nir as Sithis is the Daedric equivalent to Padomay.

I think it is quite likely you are correct on this matter. If you look through Clan Mother Ahnassi's Words (or whatever the book was called Tongue ), you'll see that the names (different than what we know of the Divines) in there represent the Aedra, and some of the Daedra. So, it wouldn't be too out of place to hazard the guess that Nocturne had the same thing in her case.
Wink devil's advocate:

If you wish to make something of a similarity of names then you might consider the similarity between Nur and Nirn? Similar sounds?

Natch there is the widespread belief that Nirn is the dead body of Lhorkan, but also I have read that it is also believed that the two moons, Masser and Secundus are the remains of Lhorkan? Confusedhrug:

Does this mean that Nirn could be the dead body of Nur? maybe, maybe not enough evidence...

So we might usefully inquire on what basis would you define the connection you are drawing between Nur and the Night Mother?

What are their characters and modus operandi?

Firstly, what would you say that Nur's character was? a difficult thing to define re someone who apparently died before the planets were born?

Without referring to the wiki article that you have linked, and based upon your statement:
- Given that Nir 'birthed 12 worlds' one might suggest that She was a Mother Deity.

- Sithis/ Padomay murdered Nur, and that makes Nur a victim in fact, but is that Her nature? It can be said that Nur sacrificed herself and her children? maybe that is parralled by the legend of th eNight Mother and Sithis. Does that accord with the modus operandi of the Night Mother?

What your theory seems to imply is that the speculation that 'Night Mother sacrificed Herself and Her Children' in order to provide an excuse to murder others is correct? - I do seem to remember that the Night Mother is the head of a Cult of Assassination?

Given that the nature of the Night Mother's followers appears to be utterly unscrupulous one might suspect that Her followers have been trawling around looking to excuse or otherwise cloud the nature of their activities... = misdirection or misinformation?

My notes above do not disprove your theory, it is a good spot, but there would need to be far more to the story to adopt. That's the nature of expansions = creating the links. :goodjob:

Come on over to Elsweyr, we have a lot of Lore to work up into useful form there.