Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Ayleid Translations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have started working on a translation project for deciphering Ayleid and writing in Ayleid, most of my progress so far has been done using this (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tamriel:Ayleid_Language) I will eventually start doing my own work at deciphering the yet untranslated words, and I will also endeavour to get a translation of the Ayleid alphabet (I will base the translation of the characters in the alphabet off it's Daedric/Dunmer alphabet counterparts).

Here is a sentence that I have written in Ayleid,

Quote:Ry relleis frensca ye varlais lattia, nou malatu av sepredia goria va molag.

and here is it's Cyrodilic(English) counterpart,

Quote:As River/Stream flowed and stars shined, our truth of peace obscured in fire.

I will use the Dunmer/Highelf/Woodelf language as a tool to help me to translate some of the words.

Also I might want to add that I am only following the Cyrodilic/English sentence structure for the time being, though I am under the impression that it does from my findings.

From my findings I have learned that sometimes the words in, is, a, the, etc are not used in longer sentences, where it can be understood without them or where it would have to go to be understood, e.g. the word "Barra" in a sentence means "wear" however when it is alone (but also in sentences) it can also be translated to "to wear".

I would also like to add that translating into Ayleid can be quite a struggle as it seems that half of the time sentences aren?t taken literally and it is common for things to be misphrased.

E.g. Haelia sepredia, literally means Terrible Peace however it could be interpreted as War or as political instability, it really is just a matter of what the writer meant it to be read as, the order in which it is placed (e.g. Terrible Peace can be reversed to Peace terrible), where it is placed in a sentence and what words are used (Two words can be used in each others place that mean that same thing, but when put together with another word could mean completely opposite things to each other.

With past and present tenses it is not yet known to me if they are used or only a certain type (e.g. only future and present, and past uses the same as present or the other way round) are used. This makes it a lot easier to translate into Ayleid, but it makes deciphering it a lot harder. It seems however that when words are put together that it can change what tense(or at least make it easier on us to understand) it is in, e.g. He was wearing a piece of armour, could also be translated to, He wore a piece of Armour, depending offcourse on a few of the above rules. However it seems that grammatically it does not make sense if you were to say ?He was wear a piece of armour? of course his is subject to the same above rule because it could also be translated to ?He was to wear a piece of armour? but this slightly alters the meaning of the sentence as it implies that he has been instructed to wear the piece of Armour, though it is still quite possible that it could mean that he was going to wear the piece of armour, in this case it would be necessary to use the word ?to?, but to the conclusion that currently the Ayleid language does not have this word it would make sense to use a similar word, or a small word that already means many things(or is used to connect words like and) as a stand in.

The next thing I would like to say is that currently the Ayleid language does not have a word for ?I?, so for the moment the closest thing we have is ?nou? or in English ?our? but that is okay because in many cultures(RW) it is a common expression for oneself(or at least similar words to it, such as we). There is also a lot of other personal pronouns that are currently missing from the language, at the moment we only know of ?sou? or your, ?nou? or our; in the make up in these words we find the common suffix of ?ou? which could be considered to be ?I? or ?me? as these are two of the most common and denotes yourself which could be considered to be more important, however this comes under a matter of the society in which the language was created. It also could mean ?you? as that is quite a common pronoun and it denotes singularity, however ?ou? could be used for both ?I? and ?you? as they both denote singularity.

The word for Mother, Father, parent, elder could either be a mix of ?ou? or ?nou? or ?sou? with a prefix of a word denominating the gender of or age of the person in question. E.g. for mother you could use the word for a mother goddess as a prefix and vis versa for father. For denominating age you could use the word for ancestor to show the age of the person(at the moment we lack the word or old, however if an alternative like ?worn? is found it could be use in it?s stead) the word for ancestor by it?s self could be used to denominate all of these, however this then could be deciphered by using the knowledge that in the High Elf pantheon the gods are ancestors one could come to the understanding that they were talking about a god, or even in literal terms and believe that the person is talking about the dead or deceased. And even with the fore mentioned method it could be understood that you were trying to denominate the gender of yourself(ou) or the gender of a group of people.

However you may also want to take into account that Ayleid was the beginnings of current day Cyrodilic and that the language of Cyrodilic people is a mix of this Ayleid language and a mix of the Nedic peoples language, and even then the Ayleid language was based of Aldmeri (or current High Elf, depending offcourse how long it took for the Ayleid people to split of from Summerset).
That somehow reminds me of Quenya; elven language used in LotR.
The language is quite deep in TES Lore, more than most of Oblivion is Wink
Yeah, it's cool that it's possible to actually decipher such a language, I thought it was more of a collection of rubbish words....
Sloadish is one of the hardest TES languages to Deciphor, right up there with Dwemer.

Ayleid is easy because of the structure of the sentances already present.
Quote:Originally posted by The Old Ye Bard

Like that's hard to beat. Cool

Anyway, how did you plan to use this language? Spoken or?
Quote:Originally posted by Arbiter

Like that's hard to beat. Cool

Anyway, how did you plan to use this language? Spoken or?

Books, eteching, magic scrolls, mages guild quests, anything really it's for the wider communtiys use I may even post it as an arcticle or TIL or use all my findings and write a book for the communtiy to use in their mods.
Aurane agea lattia... Big Grin
Sloadish is one of the hardest TES languages to Deciphor, right up there with Dwemer.

um, you are joking correct?

sloadish is the easiest language to desipher acutaly, and dwemer is the hardest (we dont even know its postible)
Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar

um, you are joking correct?

sloadish is the easiest language to desipher acutaly, and dwemer is the hardest (we dont even know its postible)
Sloadish... how so?
Pages: 1 2