Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Animated textures?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all.

I've made a fountian mesh which has a large basin. For the water level a made a simple texture of water with ripples in it. I would like to animate the water texture so the ripples appear to recede.

I've looked at the Flame atronarch (sp) and I kinda understand whats going on with the animated textures. I've tried copying over the block (niftools), Ive tried swaping meshes and even created my own controllers for my mesh, but still the texture doesn't scroll through it's sequence.

Has anyone gotten a custom animated texture to work? If so, would you mind looking at my nif and show me where I went wrong?

Thank you
If I were you I'd look more twords an oblivion gate for an example. The're moving textures are more reactive, they change when something activates it. It would be awesome if you could utilize that process to make it ripple out when someone steps in it.
Or you could check out the Waterfall mesh, that has moving water and it may help you out.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was trying to think of other nifs that had animated textures but I couldn't think of any. I just assumed the waterfall was a particle emmiter, but I'll check into both of those. Thanks again guys/gals
You'll need to do more than just the texture, I think it involves the mesh to some extent. Take the candles for example, the glow map on it pulses. I think it is in the mesh that tells the game to do that. You may want to consider using something like that (but highly sophistocated for realism if you do). Oblivion gates aren't textures, or at least I don't believe so. They seem more like those animated particles to me, like how spells work and so forth.

You might want to have a look at this tutorial, I've never read it, but it might have something useful regarding particles and stuff.

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/ind...lor_Change
Alright. I had a look at the waterfalls and the Oblivion gates, and though they do contain some animated textures, they are way more complicated then the flameatronarchs. The actual texture procedure is the same though. A took a look at that tutorial ImperialDragon and it's useful, but not for animated textures. The flame is a particle emiter which I think you were stating as well.

The flameatronarch has flame particles, but also has just a basic skin texture that is animated by a sequence of texures (just like an animated .gif). For whatever reason, I can't get it's info to work in a new mesh. My object is a static which is different than all the models mentioned above, so maybe there is something to that. I'll make it an acivator or soemthing and I'll try again.

I'm determined to get this working. It' such an easy thing to mod in other games Sad
How it works is that it's all in the mesh. There are about 30 or so textures in the oblivion gate portal part, about 15 more for the activation effect. It works kinda like a cartoon flip pad, where the image slowly changes over several sheets, and you put them all together and it becomes animated. The mesh does that swithing a texture like every quarter second or so.
Yeah I just can't recreate it. I can copy the whole block over to my mesh in nifskope and it just displays the first texture in the series.
I've messed with the start at stop times, frequency, everything.
Other than the actual 3d mesh, I've copied or recreated everything form one of these "animated" .nifs into mine and still no luck. Tongiht I'll try switching in reverese order. My mesh inserted into the original and see if it plays properly.

Again, thanks for the help.
Check out this ESF thread... especially the "VIDEO1 (object animations)" video.

That guy successfully used animated textures on several meshes, maybe you could ask him.
Great! Thanks Psychotic. I'll check that video out when I get home tonight.