Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Modelled roads and other exterior surfaces
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm hoping the problem with texture direction is fixed in the Oblivion CS. Assuming that's the case, this is just in regards to ST: Morrowind. Has anyone seen the Kiorra mod work in progress by a group of Russian modders? Here's a link to their Photobucket account.

This is one amazing looking mod, and one of the things that impresses me is the fact that it's built on a modelled surface. This allows the modeller/modder to control the way certain things, such as paving stones lay. Ever notice how in Morrowind, roads and surfaces that were diagonally placed (as opposed to facing N, S, E, or W) had diagonal pavers? By modelling the surface that Silgrad Tower sits on, or at the very least, the roads within the city, that kind of thing could be controlled better.

I know this doesn't bother everyone, but it's something to consider at least.

-Jon
I could make simple roads, just some boxes with textures...
Quote:Originally posted by jonrd463
I'm hoping the problem with texture direction is fixed in the Oblivion CS. Assuming that's the case, this is just in regards to ST: Morrowind. Has anyone seen the Kiorra mod work in progress by a group of Russian modders? Here's a link to their Photobucket account.

This is one amazing looking mod, and one of the things that impresses me is the fact that it's built on a modelled surface. This allows the modeller/modder to control the way certain things, such as paving stones lay. Ever notice how in Morrowind, roads and surfaces that were diagonally placed (as opposed to facing N, S, E, or W) had diagonal pavers? By modelling the surface that Silgrad Tower sits on, or at the very least, the roads within the city, that kind of thing could be controlled better.

I know this doesn't bother everyone, but it's something to consider at least.

-Jon

That's an impressive-looking mod! At least as far as visuals go, I can't judge the other parts of it. Seems kindof lifeless without NPCs walking around. I can't tell it's Elder Scrolls III by looking at the screenshots. Looks more like Redguard in places, but still. Very impressive visuals for a mod.

Perhaps you could contact them, and if they give us permission, perhaps you could make a plugin to demonstrate how the paving technique works? I know it's just statics but I mean how to align them properly and such. Perhaps you could do it in Reich Parkeep, which I think is small enough for the plugin to be done rather quickly. If it pans out, and if it looks good, I'm all for it if you want to add paved streets to our world Smile
Well, based on postings in the TES mods forum, all of it is custom-built for the mod, and isn't "modder friendly", as they say. What intrigues me is the attention to detail, such as the old-world style gutters in the roadways. This can only be done with models.

I don't think this is something I'm ready to try, myself. I'm lousy at juggling multiple projects, and right now I want to concentrate on the Hlaalu buildings. Big Grin I was just looking at those screenshots again and thought I'd advance the idea of modelled sufaces here, if anyone wanted to try it.

Sunsetter,

Is this something you'd be willing to experiment with?

-Jon

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
That's an impressive-looking mod! At least as far as visuals go, I can't judge the other parts of it. Seems kindof lifeless without NPCs walking around. I can't tell it's Elder Scrolls III by looking at the screenshots. Looks more like Redguard in places, but still. Very impressive visuals for a mod.

Perhaps you could contact them, and if they give us permission, perhaps you could make a plugin to demonstrate how the paving technique works? I know it's just statics but I mean how to align them properly and such. Perhaps you could do it in Reich Parkeep, which I think is small enough for the plugin to be done rather quickly. If it pans out, and if it looks good, I'm all for it if you want to add paved streets to our world Smile
Quote:Originally posted by jonrd463
Well, based on postings in the TES mods forum, all of it is custom-built for the mod, and isn't "modder friendly", as they say. What intrigues me is the attention to detail, such as the old-world style gutters in the roadways. This can only be done with models.

I don't think this is something I'm ready to try, myself. I'm lousy at juggling multiple projects, and right now I want to concentrate on the Hlaalu buildings. Big Grin I was just looking at those screenshots again and thought I'd advance the idea of modelled sufaces here, if anyone wanted to try it.

Aah, okies. From the screenshots I've seen of Oblivion, it'll have real medieval-looking sidewalks and gutters that come packed with the game. So, it might not be the most fruitful modelling project as they'd already be there. It's just some four months away now Big Grin
Sure, I can give this a try, just a basic model though, I haven't messed with Max in a while now.. I'll fire it up now.

Alright, I just threw something together real quick, just a basic street.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/e...street.jpg
Quote:Originally posted by Sunsetter
Sure, I can give this a try, just a basic model though, I haven't messed with Max in a while now.. I'll fire it up now.

Alright, I just threw something together real quick, just a basic street.

Looks good! I would humbly suggest making the dents where rainwater flows a bit more narrow. Other than that, if you slap some textures on it and export it as a working NIF, I think it will make a great addition to Silgrad Tower Big Grin
Nevermind, here's what I got.. I still need to do some finishing touches, like give it a good size in-game.. I'm going to test that now.

Tell me if you want a different texture.
Quote:Originally posted by Sunsetter
Anyone got a good brick texture?

Google is amazing :]

But here are some of my favourite texture sites.

David Gurrea
3D Millenium
3DMD
ImageStock
NEVERMIND; I placed a file in the wrong pathway..

Edit:
Alright... Here's the finished street..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/e...treets.jpg

Sorry I'm not using the sites picture thingy, I don't know how to upload with it Sad

I'm going to make some bent ones and such so there's more versitality with them..
Pages: 1 2