Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: crossbreeds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote: It is less clear whether the Argonians and Khajiit are interfertile with both humans and elves. Though there have been many reports throughout the Eras of children from these unions, as well as stories of unions with daedra, there have been no well documented offspring. Khajiit differ from humans and elves not only their skeletal and dermal physiology -- the ?fur? that covers their bodies -- but their metabolism and digestion as well.

source

These texts claim that it might be possible that there can miwes between races that are very different .
Cross breeds would be very difficult to handle, even though its a good idea. Consider the 10 races of Tamriel. There would most definately be at some point crossbreeds between all the races. Now how many different combination can there be? Lots, right. Now we come into more difficulties in cross breeds. The matter of genomic imprinting.
Consider lions and tigers. A male Lion and a Tigeress creates a Liger, the biggest known cat in the Felidae family. The reciprocal cross, a Tiger and a Lioness creates a Tigon, which is about the size of a lion. Despite having the same species of parent, the sex of the parents determines the outcome of the mating. Such as with mules and hinnies (singular hinny) being crosses of horses and donkeys.
Bethesda has obviously given a small amount of thought to the possibility of cross breeds with their book "Notes on Racial Phylogeny", in which they state that the offspring bears the racial traits of the mother. This is certainly true in the case of Agronak gro-Malog, the only half breed in Vanilla Oblivion. He looked like an Orc (his mother), but had pale skin due to his Imperial father. Had it been the other way around, Agronak would have been a green-skinned Imperial.
Now we have two options concerning cross-breeds.
1) we create a new race for each cross breed. This most likely not feasible, because of the 10 races of Tamriel, as well as catering for the parental sex differences. This would end up with more than 100 playable races, and it would be ugly and confusing.
2) When making the NPC, we take the race of the mother, and play around in facegen to give the character some of the characteristics of the father. This would be far more reasonable. For example a Khajiit/Imperial cross breed would have paler fur, a reduced muzzle and a more defined brow ridge, but would still be distinctly Khajiiti.

I have no idea what anyone else thinks on the issue of cross breeds, but i just thought I'd lay out some of the issues involved in creating them. But it is a good idea anyway, and i'd like to see some half-breeds in Elsweyr, much more than the single case in Vanilla OB.
We would have to restrict them as you point out, and I thik they would be NPCs = not enough for more. But they would offer some great quest opportunities ...
My vote is a resounding NO.

Bethesda hasn't gone there, it adds very little, introduces a lot, and I simply think it would be best to stay away.

ID?

Captain?
Beth sorta did go there DA, remember Agronak gro-Malog
If it is too hard and adds little ,it is fine to me that it is left out , I was only making you ax-ware that , according to the lore , crossbreeds can exist .
Maybe if we leave them ourselves for the moment, but don't stand in the way of newcomers who want to create such an npc for a specific purpose?
Chromosome compatibility error.