Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Irrigating the farmland region
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Sorry for putting this among the claim threads but since it was the only board for the Farmland region I figured it might be the best place. Smile

(EDIT TID 12/07/09: Moved to the new Wilderness Discussion board. Smile )

I thought I'd finally get to work on the long-overdue harbor in Soluthis, when TheImperialDragon made me aware of something that should have been obvious to me -- that the river in Soluthis doesn't have a connection to the ocean. In other words a harbor would be rather stupid at the moment.

I was thinking about different ways of solving the problem and then I remembered there was talk of irrigating the Farmland region by modding waterways from Deepen Moor. Is it still an active plan to do that? If it is, then in my humble opinion it would be terrific if the waterway exited at the northern border of the cell -7,39. I can then add a short extension to it, shown in light blue, and modify the wall system there to have an entrance for ships.

[Image: Farmland_irr_sugg_exit_575.jpg]

If it's not an active plan then there are other solutions to the city's ocean connection I can look at. Smile
Hi Razorwing. In my PM I was talking about interiors and areas directly around the farms. Nothing extentsive reaching away from the farms as far as modding on my part atm. So if you want to do anything with the waterway, please do. I can redo landscape on either side of the waterway at a later time. I have attach a pic with a clear path. That is not to say it cannot be altered to suit your needs, but the path will not effect any farms following somewhat that path. I think there is plenty of room for variance if needed on your part.
Thanks for your fast reply =)

Yes, I think your suggestion will work work perfectly. I'll get started on it tomorrow, and then I would suggest that I send you my plugin so that (after checking it out) you can merge it to your own. That way I figure there'll be no danger of us overwriting each other's work =)
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Thanks for your fast reply =)

Yes, I think your suggestion will work work perfectly. I'll get started on it tomorrow, and then I would suggest that I send you my plugin so that (after checking it out) you can merge it to your own. That way I figure there'll be no danger of us overwriting each other's work =)

Sounds great Razorwing. But Sandor does all the merging I think that works out great, having one person dealing with that. It makes errors less likely. Once the waterway is installed I agree it will be easier for me to understand what direction I go.
Zurke: Okidoki, well if you're sure your changes won't affect the river area then I agree it's a better solution to do it that way. Smile

black[/HR]

Here's what I have so far:
[Image: SoluthisRiverToDMComposite.jpg]

Notes:
[indent][/indent]- The water on the image is just a graphical effect for the purpose of generating the map.
[indent][/indent]- The map doesn't display trees.
[indent][/indent]- I will create a cliff system for the high gorges because right now my changes makes the land texture look really bad and stretched-out. (The stretch effect isn't visible on the map though)
The river looks good Razorwing. I wouldn't affect the path, level etc. of the river with anything I do. But I hope I still have rights to the cells themselves as far as cosmetics are concerned. I think we can work together on that. I think I gave the landscape scenery a general appearance which I am working on from there. I am adding grass, rocks, trees/shrooms where needed and possibly a few caverns. I started one at the corner we spoke of on the edge of the wilderness.
Sure thing friend, there's enough work for me both inside the city and out that I won't rework what you've already created Smile I did think of a few remarks while exploring your area, but I know I had the chance to give them while you developed it and it's my own fault for not voicing my personal opinion back then. Overall it's sterling work :goodjob:
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Sure thing friend, there's enough work for me both inside the city and out that I won't rework what you've already created Smile I did think of a few remarks while exploring your area, but I know I had the chance to give them while you developed it and it's my own fault for not voicing my personal opinion back then. Overall it's sterling work :goodjob:

If they don't concern a total overhaul voice your opinion please Smile. I am only one mind and I get kinda boring at times. Between Silgrad City and here I am always doing something so additions and changes are the norm.
Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
If they don't concern a total overhaul voice your opinion please Smile. I am only one mind and I get kinda boring at times. Between Silgrad City and here I am always doing something so additions and changes are the norm.

Nope, I wouldn't say my remarks are major =)

1. My first remark is that you sometimes used land textures outside of the TerrainRPRegion collection. I think it's a good idea to only textures from that collection, so that we have consistently different styles between our overall regions. It's okay to bring in new land textures though, textures that aren't used elsewhere in our mod, should you wish to do that. Because that wouldn't lessed the other regions' differences towards the Soluthis region. (It's also okay in my opinion to use certain textures from the main game such as tilled soil, sandy beaches or cattails.)
[indent][/indent]Also, while looking at the cell quad window that pops up when pressing 'I' in landscape editing mode, I saw that some of the landscape was untextured - i.e. it had the NONE texture.

2. And my second remark is that I saw a few saltrices on the beach. In the old game, saltrice and marshmerrow could only root in water and I kinda like it to stay that way. Like many others I have fond memories of exploring Vvardenfell's coast and saltrice on land feels, well, just wrong =)

There were a few of them on the beach where the river I modded exits into Ashunor. I moved them a bit so they're rooted beneath the water level.

black[/hr]

Another thing I thought of when I explored your area is the transition to Deepen Moor. Like most transitions it's razorsharp, and there's nothing wrong with that but hopefully the transitions throughout our mod will become smoother over time. Would you be interested in making a smooth transition between your farmland and Deepen Moor? If so perhaps we could ask TheImperialDragon if it's ok and how to proceed - i.e. if the transition should grow into Deepen Moor or into your farmland region. Personally I hope it would go into Deepen Moor because the region is so much larger, but that's just my personal opinion and might not fit in with the overall plan =)
Hi razorwing I will check out the terrain textures. The only one I am pretty sure I knew was out of region was the texture under the parasols. I thought it looked like droppings from the parasols and kinda acidic. But I can always try and find something in the TerrainRPRegion collection to suit. When I started the region I stripped the landscape of all texture a sections at a time. I cant imagine where the areas are with no texture. Maybe on the shoreline/under water?

2. I believe my eyes told me saltrices grow near water when I was reading, that is not to say my eyes were correct. If you have not already move all of them I will move them into the water.

I can/will do a transition along the border if it is alright with TID. I can do a sort of back and forth routine spacing it out with a view region items on either side.
Pages: 1 2 3 4