Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: BSA version of Data Files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't think it would be that bad of an idea for the players, some people are having problems with 7-Zip. Now, how does BSA Commander work?
I like it, it gives a layer of protection to our assets. Not a foolproof one, but it'd shut out those who don't care enough to learn how bsa's work. Plus I imagine our release would take up less space when extracted, as well as acting as a safeguard against extracting folders wrongly. With the bsa they can't go wrong. I'm all for it :goodjob:
I'll post the link for the bsa version later this afternoon (I am uploading the file).

The file (bsa) is 240 MB against 573 Mb unpacked.

It's the latest version (1.5.2) with full LOD (and Distant LOD for Reich Parkeep).
Oh ok, I thought the idea was to do it for the next release.
I can wait for the next release, I'll stop the the upload.
Packing doesn't cost much time.

Let me know how to proceed. TIA.

EDIT

It's for the next release.
No, the idea was for this upload to shorten download times. And future releases, but there is not much reason not to have a BSA version as I see it.
Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon
the idea was for this upload to shorten download times.
The download time will be longer (and in the future much longer).

Silgrad Tower v1.5 Data folder zipped: 119 MB
Silgrad Tower v1.5 Data folder bsa format: 179 Mb
Silgrad Tower v1.5 Data folder bsa format and zipped: 166 Mb.

The advantage of the bsa format: It it takes less space on your hard drive and the arguments Razorwing mentioned before.

I see the bsa version as a service for the gamer, the size of the file is more important (the zipped version).
We could upload both the versions for the next release.

EDIT
This data folder doesn't contain the LOD.
Original data folder size: 343 Mb.
Weird that the file size jumped up so high. But if that's the case then on the upside we could distribute the bsa as it is and circumvent the problems some players have with 7-Zip. At the same time I think we've effectively gone beyond the point where most downloaders using dial-up modems would consider downloading it.
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Weird that the file size jumped up so high.
The bsa file contains files with different compression levels. For example the meshes have a lower compression rate.

Furthermore 7zip is better (more efficient) in compressing files.

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
At the same time I think we've effectively gone beyond the point where most downloaders using dial-up modems would consider downloading it.
I agree.
Pages: 1 2