Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: An Untitled Book - Preview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't know if this would go into Valenwood Lit or not, so I put it here. Hope you like it, it's just a preview. I have no title yet, so everyone try to think of one while reading it. It's very long too, so this will be a series. I like the begginning, but the end here so far I'm not too sure about. If you want me to make a change, please say so.

Chapter 1 - Nightfall
"Hey, n'wah, get up!" a voice called.
"Get off my floor, you need go go! It's already midnight, and I need to close up."
The Bosmer rose and met the gaze of two deep, red eyes. He stared at the Dark Elven woman, puzzled.
"W...what time is it?" He asked?
"Past midnight. You need to leave now so I can close up."
"What happened?" The Bosmer asked again.
"You came in here and you were drunk as a Nord in a room full of mead. You said the wrong things to a big Orc and then you were clocked down on your face. Not my problem. Now leave! This city is hard enough to run a business without you people scaring away customers!"
She shooed the Bosmer out of the old tavern into the cold night. Were it not for the lights decorated around the city of Falinesti, no light, sometimes even Magnus itself could penetrate the overlying canopy of leaves. He heard the door slam behind him and walked away. He approached the lift and walked on. He paid the operator five septims.
"Where to?" he was asked?
The Bosmer told his destination to the operator. He looked over as he moved a series of controlls, and as soon as he was seated they moved off. He stared into the dimly illuminated tree city. The majestic Camoran Palace was seated at the top. Even at night there were diplomats and important officials doing business. The city was full of life day or night, the lifts were all in use, and more shady characters were out and about.
"So, do you live here or are you just visiting?" The lift operator inquired.
"I move around." The Bosmer grunted.
"May I ask your name?"
"Dalin" The Bosmer replied
"Well, Dalin, it would see we've arrived at your stop. Have a safe night."
He disembarked the lift and walked down the road. The neighborhood around him was dark and old. A canopy of moss hung over the entire area, and kept what little illumination the lamps of the city made inside. It was as if walking through a living cave. The sounds echoed unable to escape the overhang, and it was cold. He arrived at a small shack, the place he called home.
"Well, another day." he mumbled to himself.
"Hey Dalin." He looked over and saw the face of his neighbor peering through the window of their house.
"You stay out way too late. It's dangerous, and it's always good to get some extra sleep."
Dalin knew of the dangers of the city. Bosmers are known for being sneaky, and in their largest city thousands come out to get their spoils at nightfall.
"Good night Beywyn." He replied to his neighbor.
Dalin opened the door to his house. What greeted him was nothing but a barren room save a bed and rug. He groaned and crept into bed.

Chapter 2 - Murder in the Leaves
The next morning he awakened. He walked outside into the ever dark streets. He walked along, and decided to take a trip to the Upper Levels. As he departed the lift, he witnessed a clamor.
"What happened here? He asked as a small crowd huddled over a doorway to a house. Dalin's voice was unheard. Guards attempted to hold off the group from barging inside.
"None of this is of any concern! Move along, the lot of you!"
The voice of a small Wood Elven guard was inaudible to the roars of the crowd surrounding them.
"Give us a chance to investigate and we can report to you all what happened."
The crowd meandered away as they accepted they would eventually find out. Dalin seized his chance to investigate.
"What happened? He asked the guards.
"A couple was murdered here last night. A wealthy Cyrodiilic nobleman and his wife. They were here on diplomatic business to discuss the Oblivion crisis.
"Sir!" a guard inside called out, "We found something. It seems to be a calling card of sorts." He handed over a book.
"This was found placed on their bed."
"But this is...no...this is the Mythic Dawn Commentaries."
"Mythic...Dawn?" Dalin inquired.
"This is none of your concern. Move along!" The guard sounded anxious.

As he walked along, he could here talk of the day's event:
"Did you hear about the murder? I hear it was the Mythic Dawn."
"No, I heard the murdered were actually the Mythic Dawn and were murdered by Imperials."
"Nonsense, they came to stop the crisis!"
"Excuse me," Dalin asked a woman "What's this Mythic Dawn everyone is going on about?"
"You don't know?" she asked, "They're the ones responsible for all the gates opening up. They've recently murdered a couple here on business. Now they have guards stationed all over the palace to protect the officials left."

As Dalin left a weapons shop in the Middle Levels, he heard pandemonium.
"They're everywhere! The Mythic Dawn are attacking the palace!"
"Run! Leave the city while you can! They're everywhere!"
He looked around. The city was a blur of confusion. Suddenly, a normal looking person cast a spell and became completely armor-clad. The black stare through the helm sent a chill through his spine. He ran down several people before being killed by the guards.
"Citizens! Take cover inside!" the guard yelled.
No sooner had he said this when an arrow shot by into his head, launched by yet another armored figure. His eyes rolled back and he collapsed, lifeless.
"By the Nine, what is this?" Dalin yelled.
He ran into the store. He ducked behind the counter with the smith. Then, he heard the footsteps. They approached, slowly and heavy. Dalin's heart raced as fear enveloped his body. He couldn't move, couldn't yell, couldn't do anything. The smith who owned the store was dead white. He looked at his own hands and saw he was just as pale.
"Well, well, well. Thought you could escape?" The voice was muffled, covered by a helmet like the others.
A sword was thrust right through the counter and through the smith as well. He stared down at the object sticking from his gut, and died.
"Now, your turn. The sword was removed. Dalin quickly ducked to the side as it was thrust through again. As the armored man's sword was stuck in the counter, Dalin grabbed a claymore and threw it at him. It impaled him square in the face, and he fell backwards in a pool of blood. He grabbed another sword, and waited. Out of pure fear, the frail young elf passed out.

Chapter 3 - Reawakening
"Hey there, are you alright?"
"Hey, c'mon, wake up!"
He opened his eyes. A fuzzy blur was all he could see, but he could vaguely make out a face.
"Are you alright?"
"...Ugh...I think so. Where am I?" Dalin asked.
"You're in the Falinesti Infirmary. It looks like you had a tussle with the Mythic Dawn. You're lucky, you fared better than most did."
Dalin could now make out a face. It was a young Wood Elven woman dressed in white robes. She stood over Dalin, checking every part of him to insure he was in one piece. She had blue eyes, a very unique trait in Bosmer.
"So, tell me, what's your name?"
"Dalin. And yours?"
"Arylla"
"So, tell me Arylla, why were we invaded?" Dalin asked.
"Those half-Ayleid demons. They invaded the city. They are causing the Oblivion invasion by opening the gates. The worst is not over yet. There will soon be a speech addressing this issue by the palace. If you are fit to leave now, you can make it. The lift here is still in operation, so you can get there quickly."
"Will you come?"
"I can't." Arylla replied, "I need to stay here and tend to the wounded."
"I'll be off then." Dalin said. "Goodbye."

Dalin rode the lift up to the palace. The grand archways that led up to the elaborately decorated doorway were intricately designed in the ancient Ayleid architecture. Everything in the palace was natural, as the green pact forbade the killing of plants. He looked to the separate path to the side and saw the crowd of people waiting to hear the news. Dalin approached the large structure. On a balcony, a green robed figure approached.

"Citizens!" the man on the balcony boomed, "As you all may know, we have been invaded by the Daedric cult known as the Mythic dawn. We have successfully stopped the invasion!" A loud cheer rose from the crowd "But, a great gate has opened at the base of the city. We are expecting a siege crawler, the same machine that leveled the city of Kvatch in Cyrodiil." A great panic swept over the onlookers. "We need to evacuate the commoners to the old catacombs. Any moment now, the siege crawler can come out of that gate. When that happens, I will have the city guard stationed at the base and archers up in the tree. Everyone else must be in the under city."

Chapter 4 - Evacuation
After the announcement, a flood of citizens marched down to the lower levels. They entered through a large opening in the truck and descended a long stairway. The Under city was dark. Located within the base of the tree, it used to be in use by the Ayleids who once inhabited the lands a millennia ago. Now, it appears a dark set of chambers filled with wreckage and roots from the tree. It was dimly lit by the ancient welkynd stones of the ruins.

The entire city was huddled together. There was nowhere to move, and barely enough air to breathe. Small children cried in fear, and everyone else was just as afraid. Everything was a low murmur as the city's citizens waited. Dalin looked around him for anyone he could know. As he looked around, a pair of bright blue eyes flashed behind him.
"Arylla?" Dalin asked.
"Yes...who's there?" She questioned.
"It's me, Dalin, from earlier."
"Dalin! It's so nice to see a familiar face." Both elves huddled together.
"So, what will happen now? They evacuated us down here, and I don't know what is going on." Arylla asked.
"At the announcement, we were told a great gate has opened outside, and we are expecting the worst." Dalin replied. "They told us to come to this Under city. Used to be used by Ayleids it seems."
"Yes. This used to be an Ayleid military stronghold. they would use it to hide and stave off invaders of the city."
He looked around. The majestic white walls of the old Ayleid Empire were now covered in moss. It is one of the few man-made structures remaining in the city. The crumbling walls revealed the glowing gems of magic, the welkynd stones. They gave off a faint light and made the room almost blue.
"If you don't mind me asking, how do you know so much about Ayleid lore?" Dalin asked.
"Well, don't ever tell anyone, but I'm actually half Ayleid. That's why my eyes are blue. My ancestors lived in the tribes around the province. We know all the ancient Ayleid lore."
"But I thought you cursed the half-Ayleids who were in the Mythic Dawn. I'm confused now."
"You see, Ayleids were divided into two groups. The urban Ayleids, who lived in these ancient cities, were obsessed with conquest. They despised all the other races, even their fellow mer who they considered inferior. They were led by sorcerer-king Umaril, and they ruled Tamriel. After being defeated by Empress Alessia, they mostly died off or fled to Summerset. The tribal Ayleids were the original Ayleids. We lived in tribes, peaceful with nature and the world. We kept to ourselves and held nothing against the other races. But, when the urban Ayleids waged war with the other races, we were fearful that we would become involved, so we lived in secrecy. The group known as the Mythic Dawn are imposters. They are led by a half-Ayleid and follow urban Ayleid culture, but those ways are long dead"
"Wow...I had no idea."
"Now, don't tell anyone, for if word gets out, I may be banished from the city, if it still stands after this." Arylla said.

The two sat, in thought, as the rest of the evacuated waited.

Chapter 5 - Invasion
The room was dead silent.
*BOOM*
Children cried.
*BOOM*
People whimpered and prayed to their gods.
*BOOM*
"Wha...what is that!?" Someone yelled.
"The siege crawler." a voice replied. "It's here."

To be continued.....(You all love it when things are cut off at suspenseful moments, don't you...) Big Grin
This book would only work in a mod for TES V Wink
Cool needs a bit of gentle tending, but it works well in terms of some of the new thinking on Ayelids.

You may need to choose another City - remember that Falinesti is a tree? Maybe one of the SW towns or cities?

This might start in Valenwood but it could suit both Vw and Cyrodiil - essentially as intelligence it could surface anywhere depending on whether it is a diary (unlikely for a hardened partyer) or a set of papers assembled by someone who questioned those involved. what I would like to do is incorporate this into the TES4 University of Silgrad/Cerro themes - maybe your 'heroic partyer' could travel to the University with his new girlfriend, who might be a young alchemical mage? Or the girlfriend might have a past association with the Faculty.

If you like this idea then bob (with lots of numbers) and I could take a look at creating some kind of background for her in TES3, which would naturally lead to the arrival of the papers (written by her on their experiences) at the University?

ummm, don't understand the TES5 comment - assume you guys have some in-joke ... :raised-eyebrow.gif:
Quote:Originally posted by raggidman
Cool needs a bit of gentle tending, but it works well in terms of some of the new thinking on Ayelids.

You may need to choose another City - remember that Falinesti is a tree? Maybe one of the SW towns or cities?

This might start in Valenwood but it could suit both Vw and Cyrodiil - essentially as intelligence it could surface anywhere depending on whether it is a diary (unlikely for a hardened partyer) or a set of papers assembled by someone who questioned those involved. what I would like to do is incorporate this into the TES4 University of Silgrad/Cerro themes - maybe your 'heroic partyer' could travel to the University with his new girlfriend, who might be a young alchemical mage? Or the girlfriend might have a past association with the Faculty.

If you like this idea then bob (with lots of numbers) and I could take a look at creating some kind of background for her in TES3, which would naturally lead to the arrival of the papers (written by her on their experiences) at the University?

ummm, don't understand the TES5 comment - assume you guys have some in-joke ... :raised-eyebrow.gif:

I made the comment because the first place an OB gates comes into Tamriel is in Kvatch, and I really doubt that a person would write a biography as it was happening, because that would be the only way it could of been published then sent around Tamriel in that time, however it still is even less posible that, that could happen. That is why I made the comment it could only a ppear in a TES V mod.
I do know it is a tree. With some tweaking, It can be better. How about an elf who leaves Valenwood and goes to Kvatch? Then a great gate could open.

I had wanted there to be a ruin in the trunk of the tree, that was my plan. Also, if the tree is a mile high, naturally there would be big branches, so I had assumed there could be streets of some sort...
Thank you The Old Ye Bard, but Spock sez your comments are confusing and illogical, so please don't confuse the issue here any more than the editor has already confused it. Suggest you re-read what was written if that confuses you too Wink

IATE - you might tweak, but I feel that you would get more flexibility by doing a bit of research - tracking down one of the old maps of Tamriel/Valenwood and on the one hand checking into the SW corner - you might end up with your own town if you are lucky. That is one thing that books are for = setting the scene for events.

If you want to introduce a 'siege-crawler' into Valenwood (and especially Falinesti of all cities) you are going to have to go straight to the Valenwood and face the Core and its Leader.

Note that Oblivion did not destroy Cyrodiil City, they chose a lesser City for that, and there is no way you will be able to destroy Falinesti (players might or might not know that) but there is a great opportunity to do something like that in Gilverdale (check the thread in Vw) but that is in the NE corner of the province.

Actually that would make a great intro to Vw = the rebuilding and subsequent destruction of Gilverdale - and then the question of whether it would be possible to rebuild a second time ...

But it would have to be optional in the sense that it would have to start before the player completed the OB MQ and closed the Gates ...

:alert: Hope you noted the tie in with the Cerro and the U of S.
Who said it was ever destroyed? :brew:

Yeah, I can change the city. I had just planned for it to be in a grand, majestic, unique city, but I can move it.

I was also planning on having this book released about halfway through Oblivion's main quest. This all doesn't necessarilly have to be true in any shape or form.

I think they said TES V because it is taking place a little too close to the events at TES IV.
If you take charge of creating a 'Cammorran/High Elf City in Vw then you can make that majestic!

Having the possibility that the city may be destroyed then has direct impact... Confusedhrug: and thus can make the book into Lore...

It is true that no-one would know if we (the Vw Core) had a secret plan to destroy Falinesti, but although your book might gain 'points' for scaring folks into that belief/suspicion, I think you might want to have a word with FLESH and the rest of the Vw core about it... as a lot of people would never forgive you or us.

:alert: And don't forget to note the tie in with the Cerro and the U of S. Sad
You know, all of the projects should have great gates open outside their capital cities. That would be fun.
True.

If any City outside Cyrodiil has a Great Gate opening, then all the Cities in all the Provinces should have Great Gates opening - that's fairly obvious.

A lot of people like to ignore the obvious because they think it makes them or their work 'different,' or because they are lazy, and want short cuts. Meanwhile, they ignore the mess that out of turn nonsense creates. Confusedhrug:

I'll post this concept in the Tavern and the Common Room (and blame you Tongue )
Pages: 1 2