Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Definitve Great Gates Lore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:IATE posted in Lit Dev: You know, all of the projects should have great gates open outside their capital cities. That would be fun.

He's correct. In Oblivion ALL the Cities in Cyrodiil had Gates, right? So if one Gate opens outside Cyrodiil then all the Cities in Tamriel will have the same treatment. Or does anybody believe that Mehrunes Dagon only wants to invade one City outside Cyrodiil?

Either the 'invasion is totally concentrated in Cyrodiil = unlikely, or
the invasion covers the Empire.

I don't see anything in Lore that would contradict this reasoning, so I believe that (for a change) we really do need a pole on this topic.

Also, I believe that as it is likely that ST and Vvardenfell are to connect up (maybe even directly at some point) it will have to include BC too.

I will set both up in the Common Room also this evening as this computer won't let me do it.

The poll will read:
Where will the Great and normal gates open?
1 No new gates in Cyrodiil or anywhere
2 One normal for each City in Tamriel only
3 One normal for each City in Tamriel and and Great Gate/s at selected locations
4 One normal for each City in Nirn only
5 One normal for each City in Nirn and and Great Gate/s at selected Locations

The 'and selected locations' bit refers to events inside the designated area. Really what is being said is that if there is one Gate in a location outside Cyrodiil, then all Cities in that area will have Gates because Mehrunes Dagon is not going to limit himself for our convenience. But also you have the option to limit Great Gates to Cities only if there are no locations that you believe to be significant in an area.

If someone has specific Lore that provides for an exception then please note it in this thread.

I seem to remember an old thread about Gates, but it has not been considered on this basis, and there are a lot of new people involved now, as well as the afore-mentioned question of the link that Vvardenfell will create with the other provinces...

Feel free to add your comments generally.

Edited to include the difference between 'normal' and Great Gates
Great gates are ONLY opened when an attack on that city is planned at that immediate time (at least, that's how they do it in TESIV. They only station normal gates outside the other cities). First, three normal gates must be opened, and then the great gate is opened. Once the great gate is opened, the Daedra begin to move the siege crawler out of the portal. Once it's out, the city will be burned to the ground.

Furthermore, it would ruin the uniqueness of the great gates to have a great gate outside every major city. Martin needed a great sigil stone, and risking Bruma was supposed to be the ONLY way to get one...

edit: If I could simply run next door to Skyrim to grab a great sigil stone, then there would be no need to do the Battle for Bruma quest. You can try to make the great sigil stone for that battle be the only one useable for that quest, but then that wouldn't make sense if you were approaching Martin with one already. Why would he want to risk Bruma if he already has one?

I do agree with placing a normal gate outside each city, though.
Ald'hrun already had one open, it destoyed most of the city according to lore.
Agreed with Sniper4 about the great gates, I might disagree with OB gates outside of EVERY city. Tamriel was the target of the invasion, but Cyrodiil was the big one in the eyes of the Daedra. The Daedra aren't necessarily interested in Skyrim, or Morrowind, etc... but will probably attack to spread fear over the population of Tamriel, and also spread the Empire's forces out more thin trying to stop any more destruction. Ald'Ruhn was destroyed, burnt to the ground, according to official lore, but you hear very, very little else about other parts of Tamriel. Cyrodiil was the main target, the emperors more precisely. I'd say have OB gates ouside of the major cities, but not necessarily all of them.
I thought the Daedric aim was to destroy the plane of existance that Tamriel is on. One way to do that is open up gates all over the place... I'd assume Great Gates should open up near every major city. Hackdirt and places like that don't have a gate, do they?
:goodjob: Seems like Sniper4 has the dibbs on the lore then, I will ammend the proposed poll to suit.

And rearrange it to include the difference between Great and 'normal' Gates.

done - what do you guys think - is this worth a poll now? It's not only for ST right?

There is one further thing to consider = whether there will be special conditions in any of the Provinces that could change the local equation?
Great Gate - The ones near the major cities that never reopen once closed (like Kvatch). Is that correct? I'm not very far along the MQ, even at level 42, so I haven't done Bruma yet. Just got done Rambo-ing my way through the Mythic Dawn... Smile
The great sigil stones you can get in the other great gates could actually be useable and be able to superpower your stuff. The one you get in Bruma is a misc item I beleive.
Wasn't there only one Great Gate?
As far as the player can currently know, there were 2. One for Kvatch (went away by the time you get there) and one for Bruma. A great gate can be made at any time, so there could most definately be others in other key points. One of the more likely places would be at a tower. To the mythic dawn, the more towers gone the better. That is why I thought one of the more likely places would be the city of Falinesti. It is a key city in Valenwood as well as a tower. This puzzles me though as to why in Cyrodiil they would open two of these gates in minor cities rather than the main one.....
Pages: 1 2 3