Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: The CS freezes up while initializing FaceGen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently installed the standalone version of the program FaceGen, and since then when I try to start the Construction Set it freezes up while the status bar displays "Initializing FaceGen". I tried unstalling FaceGen, uninstalling and reinstalling the Construction Set, and finally uninstalling Oblivion and then reinstalling both it and the Construction Set, but the problem persists. I also tried to do a system restore, the Windows feature that 'takes you back in time', and while that worked as it should the Construction Set still freezes up.

A funny thing is that if I copy-paste the Construction Set executable to my desktop or anywhere else then I can start it, but naturally it can't do anything since it's unconnected to Oblivion.

Playing the game doesn't work either, as it freezes just after the 'Loading' meter starts. Sad

Does anyone know how I can fix this?
Grateful for any replies Smile

If it can't be fixed I guess I have to reinstall windows, but I sure hope it won't come to that because it usually takes me a week just to get back to where I was (re-installing programs and all that). Only Oblivion and the CS is affected, all other programs and windows itself works like it always has.
Strange.
Did you try to clean the registry?
Quote:Originally posted by sandor
Strange.
Did you try to clean the registry?

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you enlighten me?

I'm looking into getting Norton SystemWorks at the moment though, since I recalled it was good at fixing problems in Windows. If I'm lucky it'll clean out whatever contaminations FaceGen left that is conflicting with the game and the CS, but that's somewhat of a guess on my part.
Go to "run" and type regedit.
Now you'll see your (windows) registry.
Search for entries (related to the face gen program) that are left in the registry and delete these.

Check (usually):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER look under the Software tab.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE look under the Software tab.

Be careful with what you delete. To be sure make a backup of the registry.
Norton SystemWorks could do that (I think). You could use this one.

Don't use registry repair programs (free ware), it often results in a reinstall of windows.
I had the same problem, which was (I think) caused by disabling the 'Skip Initial Cell Load On Editor Start' and 'Skip Initial User Plug-in Load' options in the CS preferences. Fixed it by deleting the construction set ini file in My Documents and reinstalling. Confusedhrug:
sandor: Thanks, you were correct that there were references to FaceGen in those two lists. I deleted them, but unfortunately the CS still freezes. I think I'll try first Norton Systemworks, and if that doesn't help then reinstalling Oblivion (in case the deleted registry values means that a fresh install of Oblivion will work), and if that doesn't help either I'll bite the bullet and reinstall Windows.

Tal: Perhaps it froze for a different reason for you Smile Just to be sure I tried deleting that ini file before reinstalling the CS again (good thing it only takes like twenty seconds) but nope, no cigar. I appreciate the thought though.
My server went down last week, also a registry problem.
I had to start from scratch (it took me three days). Windows can be very annoying!

A fresh install of Oblivion could be the solution.

I hope it works. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
I recently installed the standalone version of the program FaceGen, and since then when I try to start the Construction Set it freezes up while the status bar displays "Initializing FaceGen". I tried unstalling FaceGen, uninstalling and reinstalling the Construction Set, and finally uninstalling Oblivion and then reinstalling both it and the Construction Set, but the problem persists. I also tried to do a system restore, the Windows feature that 'takes you back in time', and while that worked as it should the Construction Set still freezes up.

A funny thing is that if I copy-paste the Construction Set executable to my desktop or anywhere else then I can start it, but naturally it can't do anything since it's unconnected to Oblivion.

Playing the game doesn't work either, as it freezes just after the 'Loading' meter starts. Sad

Does anyone know how I can fix this?
Grateful for any replies Smile

If it can't be fixed I guess I have to reinstall windows, but I sure hope it won't come to that because it usually takes me a week just to get back to where I was (re-installing programs and all that). Only Oblivion and the CS is affected, all other programs and windows itself works like it always has.

Sounds like something is either left-over or overwritten. Did it try to install anything other than FaceGen? Like another DirectX or some drivers? Sorry if that is really obvious.
I think it'll remain a mystery what really happened, because I bit the bullet and reinstalled Windows. The hard way. With a fully reformatted drive. Big Grin I'll be out of the weather for a bit, but the fresh start went a lot smoother than I had anticipated and I should be back to roughly where I was by the end of the day. I figured that if I didn't pull myself together and actually go through with it the broken CS situation might very well have lingered on for ages, since I have a knack for seeing the silver lining in a current situation rather than buckling down and fixing it. Looking forward to getting back to work in the CS promptly Smile