Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: 3dsmax obj inverted faces
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why some faces get inverted when importing an obj in the 3dsmax? Is there any way to ged rid of this? Or is it just the flaw of the program?
Hi there! Sorry nobody has responded for a few days. I remember when I was working with Caligula Superfly on his awesome Redoran building tileset, a lot of his stuff was inverted. I'm pretty sure it's a flaw in either the OBJ format or 3DS Max, or at least with the importer. There is no way that I know of to get around this, but somebody else might know.

And if they do, they had better post how, or I'm going to slap them with a trout. Big Grin

Do you know how to invert faces on your own? I had to do that for nearly every building he sent me, but it was well worth it in the end.
How do you invert faces in NifSkope? My latest version of the lighthouse has one (!) face inverted, but it doesn't look like that in Max. If I could undo that one in NS, that'd be cool.

Thanks,
Steve
That's odd... I wonder what is causing that. Can you send me the .max and the .nif files? I'll see if I can figure it out. There might be vertices that aren't welded together, causing the invert on export.
make sure you reset xform and add a normal modifier to unify normals. ANd also to flip faces if the reseting the xform flipped them. The whole mesh being inverted was most likely the modeler used mirror and attached a mirrored mesh to another mesh. reseting xfrom will reset the transformations, scaling, mirror and the mesh center and pivot.

the occasional flipped face may be down to obj. But if the mesh itself has no issues to begin with max 8 does a nice job of exporting obj. I have never seen had any of my helmet meshes have any issues as obj from max. I'm not so confidant on exporting obj from nifskope though.

I think Zarf could be right that one flipped face is due to a mesh issue.
Sorry for not responding. I've had cases before where all of the faces of an object were flipped on attachment to another object. This one was weird because the number of inverted faces was so few (not 1, but about 3) and that it all looked good in Max. When I applied vertex welding at the default setting I only lost 1 out of >3000 vertices. I finally just gave up and welded some of the vertices in the immediate area and the problem magically disappeared. My only thought is that as I attached many odd shapes together, Max numbered the vertices in a way NifSkope could not follow.

Oh well,
Steve