Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Modding ones computer, do you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Simple question for those who's rig/s break the mold.

My first love I've had for almost 8 years and is a monster in light of its former self;

Started out as a 350MHZ Blue and White G3 Powermac with 64mb of ram and Ati Rage with 10GB Hard Drive.

Now its;

1.1GHZ 750GX with 1MB of on-die cache
1GB Ram
flashed Radeon 9100(8500) 128MB
2x160GB WD SATA Raid

Still runs everything in OS X 10.4 pretty much instantaneously. Used for Folding(takes almost no electricity) and for homework duty by friends with downed or in-between computers.

Then there is my G4 powermac, Digital audio that started out as 533mhz, 128mb of ram and 40GB Hard drive with a Geforce MX.

Now its

Dual 1.8Ghz 512k L2
1.5GB of Ram
Flashed BFG 6800GT OC
2x250GB WD SATA Raid
Dell 2407 WFP 24inch display.

I use this computer 90% of the time; Photoshop CS2(Tablet scanner printer), Office, watching movies, web and playing FPS games like PREY, Quake 4, and Halo(runs them pretty much maxxed smoothly, although I have to run a few in 1600x1200 widescreen aspect >_< )

Then last but not least my PC;

Started out as a athlon 3200+ with 1GB of ram and a 7800GTX ABit AN8-SLI

Now its

2.5GHZ athlon X2 @ 250FSB
2 GB DDR 500 Corsair XMS @ CAS 2.5-3-2-8
same motherboard
eVGA 8800GTX
TVtuner+Audigy 2
850W Silverstone Zeus

Oblivion, watching TV(satellite), Medieval 2, Folding

Bleh I need help, but still I buy bit by bit (And to this day could not have bought a "USED" Dual G5 powermac for all the money I've spent on my Macs) so its all financially feasible. The big waste is I hardly have time for all my machines I spent soo much time making meet my ends.

So have any electronics you've poured your heart into?
Kinda, I have always bee interested in computer hardware etc. I'm studying it at college. The closest I have ever got to modding my computer, is installing new graphics cards. Tongue

I'm thinking about trying a new processor, but I heard they're quite difficult to install and work. Is this true?
yes yes my current pc that i built bit by bit with the neons and the fans lots of fans. its not done no ofcouse not gotta keep updateing it gonna get a new power supply then cpu the a second video card yes :yes: maybe some more lights dont need anymore fans got 1 cpu 3 case and a drive bay fan too :lmao: oh and damn it looks good. so yeah i know what ya feels towards ur pc's
Laptop.
Usb 160 gb hard drive makes up for my siblings' crap though.
Quote:Originally posted by Dave_91
I'm thinking about trying a new processor, but I heard they're quite difficult to install and work. Is this true?

Well it depends, most sockets with clip-on coolers are a snap to take apart and put back together(like Socket A for old Athlons, 754, 939 and AM2 for Athlon 64, also the ZIF socket on my old G3 mac).

Even the CPU on my G4 powermac was quiet easy to take out and replace. However if you want use a heavy cooler that wants to be screwed in with brackets placed on the motherboard, then things can get tedious but not more technical.

The worse of the worse are the Quad water-cooled G5 powermacs, you can forget touching that delicate web without an apple technician. However your more likely to see one of those in a museum(only out of rarity).

BTW, sounds like your halfway set for a disco-tec in you case Green @nt1-n00b Big Grin
Also on note If you are very Static electicaly charged often buy a electro static wristband to be on the safe side or just balls it and hold on to the side of your case with one hand and instal the cpu with the other
I've built a few PCs from components if thats what your asking. I never bought a pre made system. every PC needs a side window and atleast 1 tube in it. how else are you gonna know whats inside?