Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: A better way of handling the claims
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since the claims section isn't as busy as it should be, I thought of a more efficient way of handling claims.

We have lots of houses in our mod, so that takes alot of work to make, even while many houses are never visited. Therfore, I think we should have an .ESP file with a house of a certain type, have it decorated very basically so a few rugs, tapestries and an NPC can make it into a house. In this way, when you only need to add an NPC, a few rugs and around 7 other objects, you can finish about 5 claims in one day. work for a week and the claims list is much, much shorter.

Of course you can name tons of reasons why this is a bad idea, but that won't solve the problem of having waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many unclaimed claims.
But, err, don't we have v?ry much different KINDS of houses?
Howdy

So what your saying is to make 1 esp for each type of different house
Set it up with the basic (no-pickup) items.
And then as each house needs to be made, add the NPC, additional personal items, save it as your (claim home) and call it done.

Not a bad idea, thats if your really strapped for getting claims done

Not something I would prefer, but its reasonable.

I have used programs such as GenMod to do this in the past and quite frankly did not keep any of them, its just to generic for me

Enjoy
Bob
I hate to be the ass but I just couldsn't resist it:

Quote:Originally posted by nerbod
I hate to be the ass but I just couldsn't resist it:

:lmao:

theirs a few claims that need taking I see

Enjoy
Bob
fact: procedual generation = borring.

in the time that you will spend detialing a few hoeses a little you could detial a lesser amound of houses a lot. one of the things that will realy ruin imersion and fun is having houses wich are essentianly the same. people will not want to visit them because they know what to expect.
As much as I agree with LN here, I have to point out that this isn't procedural generation. Big Grin

Procedural generation is when you click a button or type in a mathematical equation and let the computer decide or carry out the operation a vast number of times until the generated object is complete.

For example, terrain can be procedurally generated. Fractal artwork is generated, and you can generate textures (Like in Spore) if you have the right math.

To generate a house like that, you would need a list of objects that can go into the house, a list of AI packages to go into the NPC, a list of things the NPC can wear, a list of names that the NPC can have, and a mathematical way of placing these objects so it all makes sense. You could put a shelf, and tell the computer a number of things to put on the shelf, and have three distinct locations on the shelf with an X and Y axis variation of + or - 128 units. Just as an example. Anyway, once you have set these out, you would press a button and the computer would generate all of the houses for you. I think a script similar to this existed for Morrowind, but I haven't seen one for Oblivion.

The "generation" that Nerbod is suggesting here is still done by hand, and it just requires less detail and precision than our current system.
Hmm it seems like a reasonable idea. Place the things that will be found in almost any dunmer house, and then let someone customize and prehaps rearrange it. We'll be house-building machines!

If this is done right, we'll be a virtual army of unpaid laborers churning out unique houses. Kinda like a voluntary sweatshop... Also, how many ways are there really to make a house? The only thing that really differentiates is small differences in furnature placement, and the clutter, shelves, ect found around the house. There's room for originality, but by no means is there a large amount of creativity in a house (no offense to interior decorators or anything)

So this could definitely work...
I could design all the houses, and then hand em off to someone else to mess with the NPCs cuz I hate messing with NPCs. But I'm a very quick, detailed house maker, so I could whip up a bunch of houses for the claims and let someone else do the NPC and all that other stuff.

Kk?

Seniosh:If you know what you're doing it is very easy to create many of the same style house but have each one unique...At least, it's easy for me to do.
Don't postulate, do it!

Find claims, put the exteriors together, then place furniture like crates and rugs ina big pile. Then, let somebody else to the rearanging.

Go through the claims in the claims section, and upload each one as you finish it. If you would be so kind, connect them to the outside world.

That will throw us forward more than half way. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2