Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Silgrad Glassmine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone!

I just signed up here at Silgrad because just last night I'd thought I'd try this Silgrad Tower mod. and I'm totally In awe of It!! WOW! The scope of Silgrad Tower Is amazing. So I would like to somehow contribute something to this mod, I've had very little experience with modding for morrowind but I understand the basics of landscape editing and interior cells. Basicly i wish to help with something because I want to see this mod finished and released to play In Its full working glory.

Maybe If someone could suggest just something small first for me to claim, and then to make and finish, this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

-geoffro-
Geoffro: Welcome aboard!
:wave:

I?m really glad to see your enthusiasm for Silgrad Tower and for modding, and if you want to claim something that would be excellent! If you want you could take on one of the empty exteriors in Jarnhald. There is some info about them in Open claims: Jarnhald. There?s a Daedric shrine, an animal den, and a whole lot of different caves. The exterior entrance says a bit about what kind of interior would be suiting. Kindly pick one you like, let us know which one so we can note your claim, and then - happy modding!
hi Razorwing and Quentin Fortune.

as you Razorwing suggested i would like to claim:
Silgrad Glassmine, Dimmed Path Lower - no NPCs / creatures
Silgrad Glassmine, Dimmed Path Upper - no NPCs / creatures
Silgrad Glassmine, Submerged Cavern - no NPCs / creatures

if thats ok? if so, is the mine ment to be an abandoned mine or a functioning one? is there anything else i should know about the mine before i start?

also an exterior in Jarnhald (snow and ice right up north?) sounds very tempting to me though i'll only claim one thing at a time.

Also i was just wondering if its possible if you guys could just tell me a little background on this project? like who first started it and how did Silgrad Tower get to be so big?

thanks guys

- Geoff
-Geoffro-: Excellent, claim granted. I believe it's a highly active mine with several miners and guards. You might want to investigate the cells in the editor or even play through it, to get a deeper sense of it.

Quentin and Valderon are the only founding members who are still with us, and they could tell the story better than me. But the short story is that we started out as a mod group under Tamriel Rebuilt in the autumn of 2002, and most of the work on the mod took place during late -02 and the whole of -03.

We left Tamriel Rebuilt in January 2004, or thereabouts. It wasn't a clear-cut parting, more like a prolonged drifting apart and finally ceasing cooperation. We rebuilt Reich Parkeep after the split, as they owned the one that used to be there. There's an interesting map of the old city in the Map section (under Lyrics category).

By the time I joined the project in march 2004, the mod was basically already 90% of what it is today. Since then a bunch of quests and interesting locations have been added, a lot of bughunting, polishing has taken place, as well as adding twenty exterior cells, half by me and half by Ben Vagara. There's a mountain of references on our archived forum (forum.silgrad.com) where one can follow our progress from late 2002 and onward.
thanks, i'll get to work tonight. Smile
hi

just some very basic questions, i feel kinda silly asking them but for me they must be asked.

i was trying to make a new generic miner for the glass mine, and started to place them around the mine. i then thought i would dress them differntly and change the face, hair, to take away the repitition but then realised that when i would change one of the miners, they ALL would change to what item of clothing (and hair and face) i had chosen. does this mean to create miners with different clothing i must make a whole heap of new NPCs?

also if i change the wander distance for a guard under the "AI" settings does this change the wander settings for all the guards in the whole game??

thanks ppl

- Geoff
Greetings Geoffro,

Through asking questions we can learn, you shouldnt feel silly for desiring to learn from others even if you feel the question is a stupid one. The worst that could happen is that you could get picked on. No big deal really Big Grin

When placing NPCs it is ideal to create unique NPCs, otherwise all you have on your hands is something akin to the clone wars of Star Wars hehe... to change the clothes of an NPC (or the appearance) you will have to specify new files in place of the old ones. This can be done by double clicking on the NPC in question in the TES construction set. You will have to delete the clothes in their inventory window and place new ones in there (you can do this by dragging files from the 'clothes' menu to the NPC inventory window). As for physical appearance the corresponding options in the NPC window can be meddled with. Dont forget to designate dialogue and so on! :goodjob:

I hope this can be of help... If you wish to learn more then I suggest you read a tutorial (search the net). Here is one I looked up for you to save you the trouble:

http://66.106.110.151/Morrowind/Thanos_T...rials.html

Note: scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the link.

Razorwing: I hope this is okay, the idea is to help the fellow with his contribution to Silgrad Tower and not to advertise.
hi Sebastien,

thanks for your input, i will experiment more tonight.

Smile

- Geoff
Sebastien: It's most definetely okay. I love Thanos Tower, and silgrad.com has linked to them for as long as I can remember. There's no better source for Morrowind tutorials on the net. =)

-Geoffro-: I think one can create a "levelled item" list and fill it with stuff - clothes, for example - and then the NPCs who have that list in their inventory would be dressed differently according to the list. Check one of Bethesda's duplicated NPCs for an example of how they use levelled lists for that effect (particularly used by Bethesda to vary armor on various guards). That would still leave the problem of the miners having the same face though, so as Sebastien says, creating different miner NPCs would probably be best. I can't imagine it would be that many of them? A couple of dozen, tops.

You could still use the levelled items list, though. Heck, you could set up a master NPC with a number of lists for clothes, weapon, etc and then just copy him until you have enough miners, then edit the face and hair on the copies and voil? - and all of them would look different from each other.
hi people.

ok i'm getting the hang of NPC creation a little more, thanks Razorwing and Sebastien. now on to the atmosphere of the mine, as you suggested before Razorwing, "highly active" is what i've had in mind when i have been placing NPCs around the mine. but if you are familiar with the layout of the mine, there is a 'submerged cavern' cell which is naturally gloomy. i thought i could fill this cell with a few creatures that have taken over this cell, and also put a few in the 'dimmed path lower' cell. i thought i could maybe place some NPCs that have their escape route blocked in the 'dimmed path lower' by the creatures, which have taken over this cell as well. what are your thoughts? i thought that maybe this could be a nice little side quest, to rescue the workers, unattached to the main story.

thanks

- Geoff
Pages: 1 2