Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Flora in ST: Oblivion - Black roses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[1st]B[/1st]lack roses are quite common throughout the Province of Morrowind, particularly around the Velothi Mountains. It's a hardy plant that requires very little soil to sprout, and has a knack for competing out other flora. It would surely have been seen as a weed if it had grown near Dunmer settlements. Fortunately for the Dunmer, black roses only thrive in rocky and rugged highland terrain. They secrete a sweet, spicy odour that spread on the winds and serves as a familiar sign to outlanders that they've crossed the border into Morrowind.

While traditionally seen as a plant, black roses appear different to most flora known to scholars as they thrive both in sunlight as well as in shadows. It leads one to think that the plant has borrowed traits from mushrooms, while still retaining their sundrinking ability.

Black roses are mildly poisonous if eaten, and symptoms of black rose poisoning include stomach problems and skin rashes. The Dunmer realized thousands of years ago how to prepare black rose petals so they lose their skin rash-causing effect, thus creating a natural remedy for indigestion. Apart from their medicinal use, black rose petals are also the main ingredient in Duskbloom, a famous Dunmer men's perfume worn by commoners on many occasions. It's inexpensive to purchase and not that hard to distill oneself.

black[/hr]

Used with kind permission from Veet, who crafted the mesh.

Black roses are based in lore. It's mentioned both in King Edward, Part VI as well as in The Real Barenziah, volume VII. The following excerpt is from the latter:
As the slow days slipped by and her train rode a winding road eastward into the setting sun, around her rose the steep-sided mountain slopes of Morrowind. The air was thin and a chill late autumn wind blew constantly, but it was also rich with the sweet spice smell of the late-blooming black rose, which grew in every shadowy nook and crevice, finding nourishment even in the stoniest slopes.

The original release used a Bethesda texture for petals and stem, which I had to change to make it legal for use in Oblivion. I'm not happy about the textures I added, but hopefully they can be deemed acceptable as placeholders for now. Rather than making a dozen varieties of it, my edit includes two varieties and several cutouts of the original model. Using the cutouts, one can assemble a wholly original plant version within Oblivion and keep the assembled plants in a special interior cell for easy copy-paste. Thus, one can create a hundred unique varieties without adding to the download time of the future mod. I thought that was a better approach.

Thoughts and opinions are always welcome.

Credits: Veet.
Nice. I like the idea and the look of it, though I tend to agree about the texture of the leaves at least. I don't think it really looks much like a leaf besides the shape.
Very nice indeed.:yes:
Quote:Originally posted by noremorse
Nice. I like the idea and the look of it, though I tend to agree about the texture of the leaves at least. I don't think it really looks much like a leaf besides the shape.
Very nice indeed.:yes:

Yes, the placeholder textures aren't good. I hate textures... Perhaps we should keep the Bethesda texture in the meantime and see how that goes? It does look much better with that one.
Very, very nice. =)

If nobody has an objection, I could give the leaves a try ... during my holidays (hey, is that to-do-list growing exponentially all of a sudden? :hmm: ... Big Grin )

Greetings

Quentin
Quote:Originally posted by Quentin Fortune
Very, very nice. =)

If nobody has an objection, I could give the leaves a try ... during my holidays (hey, is that to-do-list growing exponentially all of a sudden? :hmm: ... Big Grin )

Greetings

Quentin

Yes it's quite a gem that Rodan made, I think. With the original Morrowind texture it looks really beautiful and much better than the placeholders I used. The original Bethesda texture is "Tx_black_anther_02.tga" and fits perfectly on the model, so I would guess that if you texture along the same outlines as that one, then the new texture would fit perfectly.

I got off work early and finished up yesterday afternoon, and have been ticking things off my to-do-list since then. Something I realized is that without work I can get a week's worth of ST stuff done in a day Big Grin So I guess my point is don't worry, I'm sure you won't run out of time =)
Here's the updated entry for the Black Rose Big Grin