Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Armor&Weapons Material
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This thread is about the materials used to create armor and weapons.
Note: the list below is still a wip and might change, i will explain every material in detail later.

Material..............Ingredients used to make it.........Armor/Weapons.

Fur....................Various animals..............................Yes/no.
Leather..............Deer skin.....................................Yes/no.
Wood................Hard wood....................................No/yes.
Obsidian.............Obsidian stones.............................Yes/no.
Bronze...............Copper 60% & tin 40%..................Yes/yes.
Iron..................Iron ore........................................Yes/yes.
Steel.................Iron.............................................Yes/yes.
Silver.................Silver ore.......................................No/yes.
Hagane..............Sa-tetsu (iron sand).......................Yes/yes.
Ebony................Ebony ore....................................Yes/yes.
Jade..................Jade ore (Akaviri version of glas)......Yes/yes.
Kurogane...........Sa-kuro (ebony sand).....................Yes/yes.
Dragon scales......Black or red dragon hide.................Yes/no.
Dragon ivory.......Dragon horns.................................No/yes.

Ok, that's the list for now.

I will work out the lore for jade later, i was thinking that: glass is found in a volcano, so maybe when glass has been under very high pressure for a very long time, it will become harder and tougher (just like carbon forms diamond under high pressure).
I will also have to figure out the lore about the colors of dragon scales, i'm not sure, but i think there are black and red dragons in Akavir.
Any ideas/suggestions about the materials for armor/weapons in Akavir are welcome Wink
That looks like a pretty good list.
I have copied some official lore about glass, ebony and daedric in this post so i don't have search the imperial library.

Ebony.
(1) (Raw Ebony) Raw ebony is one of the most precious substances in the Empire, and most of the continent's deposits are here on Vvardenfell. Raw ebony itself is an extremely hard, durable, black glass-like substance, said to be the crystalized blood of the gods. Raw ebony is protected by Imperial Law, and may not be mined or exported without an Imperial charter. Ebony smuggling is a profitable but dangerous source of illegal wealth on Vvardenfell. (2) (Ebony weapons) Ebony weapons are made from a rare form of volcanic glass found almost exclusively in the buried deposits and surface lava flows of Vvardenfell's Red Mountain. 'Ebony' refers to the lustrous, black, glassy surface of ebony weapons.

Daedric Weapons.
Daedric weapons are made from raw ebony which has been refined using the craft and magical substances of the lesser minions of Oblivion. The process is not a pleasant one for the Daedra involved, and the weapons retain echoes of preternaturally prolonged suffering endured during manufacture. Daedric weapons are the most rare and expensive weapons known in Tamriel.

Glass.
(1) (Raw Glass) Raw glass is similar to raw ebony, but less well-known. Ebony is jet black, while glass is a milky translucent green. Less durable, but much lighter and more flexible than ebony, glass is used primarily to make the distinctive, elegant glass armors and weapons of High Elven design.. (2) (Glass Weapons) The light and elegant Glass weapons of High Elven design feature extravagant use of rare metals and cutting edges made from rare crystalline materials. Duelists and assassins appreciate the delicate balance and sinister sharpness of glass weapons.
Smuggling raw glass is a crime. All raw glass belongs to the Emperor, so it's the crime of treason, and punished by death. But there's so much money to be made selling black market raw glass that it's a rare merchant who'll refuse to buy a piece from you. Of course, if the mine guards catch you stealing raw glass, they just kill you.

Meteoric glass.
Another, rarer form of Aetherial fragment is called 'meteoric glass'. It is from such fragments that other rare Ayleid enchanted artifacts are crafted -- Welkynd Stones and Varla Stones.

NOTE: The official lore about ebony/daedric/glass shows that they are all related to each other, so it looks like the Akaviri glass (jade) will fit right in.
So like i said before "when glass has been under very high pressure for a very long time, it will become harder and tougher (just like carbon forms diamond under high pressure)" it's perfect for our new lore =)
Akavir has a lot of volcanos, huge and ancient volcanos.
Glass armor has changed during the transition from TES3 Morrowind to TES4 Oblivion. In Morrowind it was spiky green crystals...
in Oblivion it's...something really ugly...

btw, Bronze is created from 90% copper and 10-30% tin. Smile
Yeah glass armor used to look cool, the only Oblivion armor i really like is the steel armor.

Bronze can be made from something like: 60 to 90% copper, sometimes lead is used too (about 5 to 20% i believe).
It's been a long time since i have studied this aspect of metallurgy, but i'm pretty sure that i have not made any mistakes (but i would like to know if i did) Wink
Yeh, you're absolutely right. Different ratios of bronze for different purposes so it varies. I must have been looking at alloy coatings Big Grin

I really miss the old Morrowind glass armor though... Sad
No problem, a low percentage of tin makes the bronze harder (better for the edge of a sword), a higher percentage of tin is good for the core of a bronze sword.

Yeah what can i say about the glass armor... new is not always better Wink
I have an idea about an armor suit
I was playing Devil Kings on PS2, and there is a guy named Zaan
I cant find any picture, but its looks pretty awesome.
The game is full of cool looking armor, and wepons. Stupid dialogue, but cool visuals.
I don't know that game, i have'nt played PS2 for a long time, so you will have to find a picture of the armor you like on the internet and post it.
It's unknown whether Dragonscale Armour is actually made of real dragon scales. Considering it's not all that rare, and the dragons are, I'm leaning more towards it being fake.
Pages: 1 2 3 4