Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: The Source Board?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did anything happen to the source? Cause i can't access it. I can't see the forum anymore (should be just below claims i think) and when i click the one small link i can find to it, it informs me

Access denied.
Access to this page has been denied for one of the following reasons:
You are not logged in. Some pages are restricted to users only. To login, fill in the information below. To register, click here.
Your account is closed or not activated. Please contact the Administrator in this case.
You are trying to access a page restricted to certain user groups. You do not have permission to enter this page.
Logged in as: Seniosh [logout]

Now i know i'm logged in, and i HOPE my account is open, so then why can't i access it or see it? So either something's wrong with the forum itself, or my account is messed up.

Any ideas for help? (and do other people have the same problem)
Did someone slip and make it a core forum?
Starting now, a new system regarding asset privacy will be in place. It will probably be fully in effect shortly after the next public release (v.2).

1) Assets that are considered exclusive to this mod* are kept private until the very final release, being available only to modders on our team.
2) Assets not considered exclusive (like modder resources which are going to or have already been released publicly) will be distributed openly.
3) Alternative versions of the exclusive assets are made available in the public mod so that it is still playable.**
4) A new Member Group is instituted. Through completing claims, a member may be moved into the user group, giving him or her access to The Source board where business goes on as usual - only just not seen by everyone anymore. ST core members have access too, naturally. Since modders would mod with the alterior versions of the exclusive assets, great care needs to be vested in them so that the plugin the budding ST modder makes work with both the public and the private assets.

[indent][/indent]* Basically - This means the Dunmer stuff, which holds little interest to most other mods. These assets are of course available to BC projects. ( - Discuss with Razorwing first plz )
[indent][/indent]** The collision meshes with rudimentary mapping will be used as the visual meshes initially.

This practice of keeping files private would seem to be fairly common in mod teams devoted to other games. An example from our own scene was the Wizards Islands mod for TESIII:Morrowind. They kept it completely private, only releasing images and maybe videos, which might just have actually helped build interest in their mod.

The advantages of that practice are many. When it's finally released (final version) players will get a complete, bug-free mod with tons of stuff to do; other teams won't take assets until the final release; and there is a definate allure to becoming a member of such a team, finally getting to be one of the chosen few to gawk at the cool stuff. If a person is able to do that after having contributed to the project as a whole, odds are he or she has vested himself or herself in the team and begun to care for it, and would not turn around and distribute the assets. Ultimately, it is up to the core to decide on and promote these individuals.

Unlike other teams, this idea would not cut off players completely. They would still get to play our mod and enjoy the quests, it would just not look as good graphically. Who knows, low-end players might still favor the public versions of the assets even if they were promoted into the new user group.

And of course, once the final version of our mod is complete, it can all be released publicly. Possibly with the exclusive clause, but without any worry about our work being stolen.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

A general guideline for gaining access to the Source board (usually, modders would have to do a lot more than just this unless their work is of superior quality).

Absolute minimum requirements:

- two finished claims AND Significant contributions to the team
- approval of the core

[indent][/indent]A completed claim means one with a pathgrid, dialogue, NPC's, everything. Because this system is new, previous work will be taken account for all claims prior to March 18th, 2007.

green[/hr]

This system is still under construction, so please wait until a bit after the public release before expecting to see the board (if you've met the requirements and all). Trust me, you're not missing much right at the moment. In fact, the last post was in February...
Meh, I can't even find it on the board menu. Guess that means I need to get my lazy self up and do something.
Ahh, well that explains it then. A bit confusing, but it makes sense anyways. My only question now is how new assets will be managed and distributed.

For example, SACarrow made an excellent set of mine tracks. How will they be distributed to everyone working on a mine? I manually put them into the glassmine i'm making, but it would be inconvenient to have to do so for the nordmine i'm also making. Same goes for the lockbash scripts i modified to work for mining. How will they be distributed so that everyone modding for ST can use them.
Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon
As of now (apparently) there will be a slightly modified system in place. Please don't shoot the messenger, or the core. :O :poorme:
*Contemplates putting gun away*
I'm confused. So does this mean that there will be no more public releases until out of alpha and beta stages?
Quote:Originally posted by WhiteWizard
As of now (apparently) there will be a slightly modified system in place. Please don't shoot the messenger, or the core. :O :poorme:
*Contemplates putting gun away*
I'm confused. So does this mean that there will be no more public releases until out of alpha and beta stages?

Not quite. There will be Alpha versions, but the models won't be the ones you're used to seeing. Those models will be reserved for people in the new Modder User Group until the final release.

The models you see in the public releases will just be preview models, more or less.
Not quite. There will be Alpha versions, but the models won't be the ones you're used to seeing. Those models will be reserved for people in the new Modder User Group until the final release.

The models you see in the public releases will just be preview models, more or less.
Ahh, ok, thanks.
Good luck telling the public.
They were shielded in preparation for the system we'll institute following next release. There won't be any new wip releases posted on The Source until the next release, so no-one's missing out on anything yet. The great thing about the system in my opinion is that we're not shutting anyone out who's interested in modding with the team, so folks can complain if they want but the fact will always remain that it's open to them if they only put in the work.

Please continue the discussion in the new thread. Smile

black[/hr]
Edited by Razorwing August 26th 2008.
Thread moved from the "Forum / Team" faq board to the archive. Since this discussion took place "The Source" board was reopened to normal users.